Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Long Island (Wind Watch) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Long Island (Wind Watch) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Aug 12, 2004, 7:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Post Hyatt Regency Long Island (Wind Watch) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

IMPROVEMENTS PLANNED; Hyatt to take over Hauppauge Wyndham

Newsday (New York)

August 12, 2004 Thursday

NASSAU AND SUFFOLK EDITION

BUSINESS & TECHNOLOGY; Pg. A33

BY JAMIE HERZLICH. STAFF WRITER

Long Island will get its first Hyatt hotel next week when the Wyndham Wind Watch Hotel in Hauppauge is reflagged as the Hyatt Regency Wind Watch Long Island. Moreover, the new owner of the hotel plans to pump millions of dollars into improvement at the property.

Hyatt officials confirmed yesterday that the 360-room hotel, the Island's third largest, is scheduled to be rebranded next Thursday....

But Lewin said along with the name change will come improvements worth $8.5 million to $10 million over the next 12 months, including full wireless Internet connectivity throughout the 15-year-old property.

Hyatt, which has 211 hotels and resorts around the world, said it is also scouting other opportunities on Long Island. Two months ago, Computer Associates founder Charles Wang proposed building a new community in Plainview called Old Plainview that would include a 300-room Hyatt Regency Hotel....[!]

http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher...18152&start=16

[Emphasis Added]
Old Aug 20, 2004, 5:22 pm
sy7

This is now showing on the NYC list of hotels. I did a search last night, and I noticed there was an extra set of rates for hotels in the NYC area, though no info on what hotel the rate was for. The hotel is priced lower than the Jersey City Hyatt.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 9:35 pm
V9

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Pltm, Hyatt Diamond, spg Pltm
This was a Marriott one time?
Old Sep 1, 2004, 11:31 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Yes it was... I still have my files from being involved in its bankruptcy years and years ago.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 1:34 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Info on New Long Island Hyatt?

Haven't seen this discussed here - there is a new Hyatt Regency, the Wind Watch, near Islip Airport on Long Island. Is this new construction, or a rebranding - if so what was the prior brand? They are taking reservations for mid-March. I could choose to stay here or at Greenwich on an FFN at that time (assuming availability). Does anyone have experience with either of these properties? Shuttle service from nearby railroad stations? Thanks!
Old Feb 24, 2005, 2:42 am

It used to be the Wyndham. It was reported in the press around last summer. I haven't been there before, so cannot say for sure. The reviewers on Tripadvisor were not impressed (note the oldest review was written about the Wyndham)!! If you end up going, I'd love to hear your experience, since I'm considering staying there in early April.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 3:39 am

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
I stayed there in December (it became a Hyatt last summer.) Nothing special. It is surrounded by a golf course. No Regency Club. Then again, Greenwich is nothing special either, although they have a Regency Club (which I personally would not bother with.) It sounds like you won't have a car, but they have started charging for parking at Greenwich. I doubt either has shuttlke service to RR.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 1:24 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Thanks for info. I decided on the Greenwich property based on much better TripAdvisor reviews, longstanding Hyatt affiliation, and closer proximity to Midtown Manhattan. And according to the concierge. they do provide complimentary shuttle pickup and dropoff from the Stamford (Amtrak, Metro- North) and Old Greenwich (M-N only) stations. The shuttle caveat is that it's depending on availability, so a call at least 24 hours in advance is recommended.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 2:48 pm

Programs: AS Gold/SPG Gold/Hertz PC
If you want closer proximity to Midtown Manhattan, why not try the HR Jersey City? All you have to do is take the PATH ($1.50) and you'd be in Mid-Town (33rd St). Weekend FFN availability is pretty decent.

Originally Posted by Explore
Thanks for info. I decided on the Greenwich property based on much better TripAdvisor reviews, longstanding Hyatt affiliation, and closer proximity to Midtown Manhattan. And according to the concierge. they do provide complimentary shuttle pickup and dropoff from the Stamford (Amtrak, Metro- North) and Old Greenwich (M-N only) stations. The shuttle caveat is that it's depending on availability, so a call at least 24 hours in advance is recommended.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by ashaboe
If you want closer proximity to Midtown Manhattan, why not try the HR Jersey City? All you have to do is take the PATH ($1.50) and you'd be in Mid-Town (33rd St). Weekend FFN availability is pretty decent.
Thanks. The Jersey City Hyatt is excellent and I have a couple of stays to my credit. I will soon have stayed at the Grand Hyatt NY a couple of times also. I'm going to try Greenwich for a night.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 9:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I trided usind a FFN for my attendance at a Bat Mitzvah near there in the first week of April and was unsucessful, so I contacted the Room Executive who told me that they are closing off floor as it is currently undergoing a rooms renovation which should be complete somtime in June 2005.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 12:00 am

Programs: Hyatt GP,HHonors,Priority Club,NW Worldperks,SQ,CX
Originally Posted by goingsomewhere
I wouldn't consider it that close to NYC.
I stayed there in during the Halloween week, its really far out. I felt real weird standing at the train station waiting to be picked up all by myself.
Needless to say, I cut my stay short and headed back to Manhattan after 1night. I guess I went at the wrong time.
Hyatt just took over the property lock,stock and barrel. Nothing new at all. There were no signs of any upgrading works when I was there.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 10:17 pm
YXE

Programs: AC-Elite
I talked to the hotel a couple of nights ago and she said renovations are starting yesterday on this hotel. I am familiar with the area and it is too far from Manhattan if you are visiting NYC. Really good access for most of Long Island though.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 10:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Staying at the Wind Watch later today....

Renovations are supposedly proceeding apace. I'll let you know how they are going and whether the room I receive was renovated.

Hopefully, they treat Diamonds well.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 11:37 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Any word on the renovations? I have a meeting in East Northport on Friday morning and it's a toss up between the Hyatt and the Sheraton in the area. Any thoughts on this property?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.