Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Will a credit card dispute / chargeback lead to a Hyatt account closure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will a credit card dispute / chargeback lead to a Hyatt account closure?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2024, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Just as a data point, I had a reservation at the Ziva Cancun last year that I cancelled just before the end of—but still within—the cancellation window, as confirmed in writing by Hyatt customer service chat. I was charged the full amount of my stay (in the $x,000 range) to my Chase Hyatt Visa. Multiple attempts to resolve directly with the hotel got no response, and Hyatt customer service just kept referring it back to the hotel.

After a couple weeks of this, I filed a written chargeback with Chase, attaching the cancellation policy, timestamped cancellation confirmation email, and screenshot of my chat with Hyatt; the dispute was very promptly resolved in my favor, with no repercussions to my WoH account. Obviously, the hotel was very clearly in the wrong in this instance.
Old Jun 8, 2024, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dave510
I've had occasions where I was more than willing to waste time just to dispute something that was negligible in cost (so less than a couple percent) of a total charge, over a matter of principle, but the card issuers simply doesn't want to fight the merchant over something like $100 or less, and would rather pay me themselves to end the dispute. Unfortunately this is just one of those things where there isn't a way to "make things right" and I've just come to accept that I'll eat those charges and avoid the business in question (and leaving them a poor review, even deterring a few customers would make things more than even).
As a business owner, I certainly have had chargebacks for far less than $100 and will also fight back just based on principle.
Old Jun 8, 2024, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by schistosomiasis
As a business owner, I certainly have had chargebacks for far less than $100 and will also fight back just based on principle.
Yeah, most people don't really understand exactly what is going on behind the scenes when they initiate a dispute. There are many parties and many variables. And as you probably know fighting a chargeback isn't just about the specific credit card charge in question, but can be more about your relationship with the acquiring bank and/or your ISO/MSP.
Old Jun 9, 2024, 10:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by schistosomiasis
Do you associate your time with a certain dollar value or is that not a core part of your business calculation?
Old Jun 10, 2024, 9:06 am

I would just ask to hotel to give you a few thousand points and if they agree call it a day. I would hate to risk pissing off Hyatt over $9
Old Jun 10, 2024, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I don’t know - maybe the number was all that was needed. I’m not sure what they did but the receipt they finally gave me said the transaction type was “Keyed”

My concierge did respond and said that if I were to chargeback the transaction and the hotel then claimed I had a balance due, they could freeze my WOH account.
If you raise a CC chargeback, there is a specific reason code for an unauthorized DCC. I suggest talking to your card issuer, they should be able to figure out and let you know more about this.

I think it is disputable if it is worth escalating this. But provided you want to, get the info you can from the issuer. They must know whether DCC was offered and if so, how it was approved (e.g., by okaying it on the terminal).
If the charge back with a reason code "unauthorized DCC" is approved, I think we can at least be sure DCC was offered.
Old Jun 11, 2024, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
This has resolved itself after the transaction posted to my credit card in the correct amount.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.