Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Will a credit card dispute / chargeback lead to a Hyatt account closure?

Old Jun 7, 2024, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold

Iím currently in a payment dispute with a non-US Hyatt property around what Iím assuming is non-consensual DCC that occurred with a keyed-in manual transaction where they took the number from my reservation and did not allow me to use the expected machine to ensure that I was being charged in local currency. The difference is rather small - I was charged 148 USD when I should have been charged the equivalent of 139 USD - but still, itís the principle of the matter that bothers me.

Property management has said they have reviewed CCTV footage and canít figure out ďwhat happened.Ē Iím still trying to figure out more clearly what they actually mean, but they have not offered any compensation or refunds yet.

Upon speaking with my bank, they are telling me that I should just dispute the transaction. My concern is that disputing a transaction will lead to a shutdown of my Hyatt account, which I donít want.

I have involved my Hyatt Concierge in the conversation between me and the property, but havenít heard back.

This is a country with a pegged exchange rate, so itís not an unlucky fluctuation. All of my other charges in this country with my card result in the right exchange.
antonius66 and ffgap like this.
Old Jun 7, 2024, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
For $9 your bank will likely just auto close the dispute and credit you.

Personally I would not raise a dispute.
Old Jun 7, 2024, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
A single chargeback isn't likely to get your WoH account into trouble. That said, hotel owners / managers can get all sorts of nasty things into your internal WoH notes - and Hyatt corporate will side with the hotel owner over you if it comes down to it.

It is certainly becoming more prevalent that spurious chargebacks are being relatiated against with an invitation to take your business elsewhere.

For $9? Not in a million years would I do it...
Old Jun 7, 2024, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
My hope is that Hyatt Corporate or the property will provide some sort of compensation, such as points, to address their mistake / faulty payment system. Based on my conversation with the property, the way I was charged was not in their normal operating principle as the manager had never heard of someone being charged without their card being present (I wanted to stick my card in the machine like I always do so that I could ensure I was being charged normally and not with DCC). I do not take kindly to mismatches in billing and would think that Hyatt would feel as if they should make me whole.

Time will tellÖ
Old Jun 7, 2024, 9:12 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
DCC is a cancer, you are doing the right thing by disputing. Like another poster said, it's likely that your credit card issuer will just eat the dispute and not pass it on to the merchant (which they should, because merchants need to take responsibility for this garbage).
Old Jun 7, 2024, 9:14 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I've had a couple of disputed charges with Marriott totalling over $1,000 when hotels have literally illegally taken money from me that they weren't entitled to/ manifestly ignored their own cancellation terms - and so far I've had no issues with my account being closed.
Old Jun 7, 2024, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

I canít confirm at this time that DCC was the issue - but something here is amiss. The CC receipt they gave me does not list any alternative currencies besides local, but I know that my bank did not get this wrong. They have gotten every transaction before and after correct.

The latest response from the property only adds to my confusion:

ĒWe have reviewed the transaction records and even viewed CCTV footage. It appears that there were limitations beyond anyone's control this time, possibly due to the card type and currency restrictions when conducting a manual transaction. It's possible that your card may only support transactions in a single currency when done manually, as there is no reason for us not to present the option to choose currency.Ē

Edit to Add: The card is a WOH Chase Visa - nothing out of the ordinary on my end.

Old Jun 7, 2024, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
They should just give you 10,000 points and call it a day.
Old Jun 7, 2024, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
They should just give you 10,000 points and call it a day.
Yes, thatís what Iím hoping my concierge will come back with. I would let it go for less than that.
Old Jun 7, 2024, 11:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AS MVP Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
I wonder why one should be worried disputing with legitimate reason. My case is different but Iím currently disputing a $350 charge from a Hyatt hotel.

Stayed at a U.S.-Westcoat Hyatt hotel one night using Cat7 cert mid-May, used another CC at checked in for temp hold charges. Zero balance upon check out. A $350 charge posted on that CC couple days after and Iíve been spending many hours to deal with it since. Involved MHC and hotel manager, which the hotel claimed they had no history of this same CC used in their system at all and triple confirmed zero balance for my stay. Which was false because I had the charge from the same hotel from the day of check out. My CC company gave me hard time as well, I cannot file as fraud as the CC was used at the hotel I stayed at so dealing with dispute and asked for lots of documents.

Just unnecessary wasted time, although my MHC was very responsive and did provided points compensation for the ordeal.

Last edited by zoneflyer; Jun 7, 2024 at 11:23 am
Old Jun 7, 2024, 11:23 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
I would not do a dispute for 9$ but I would complain! For hundreds I would though
jrm68 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2024, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Iím currently in a payment dispute with a non-US Hyatt property around what Iím assuming is non-consensual DCC that occurred with a keyed-in manual transaction where they took the number from my reservation
This is what worries me most about the whole thing: can the agent really see the complete credit card number, expiration date, and CVV code in clear text in your reservation, to then type it manually into another terminal to process a charge?
Old Jun 7, 2024, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
This is what worries me most about the whole thing: can the agent really see the complete credit card number, expiration date, and CVV code in clear text in your reservation, to then type it manually into another terminal to process a charge?
I donít know - maybe the number was all that was needed. Iím not sure what they did but the receipt they finally gave me said the transaction type was ďKeyedĒ

My concierge did respond and said that if I were to chargeback the transaction and the hotel then claimed I had a balance due, they could freeze my WOH account.

I have provided more information to my concierge and told them I would accept alternative compensation.
Old Jun 7, 2024, 12:32 pm
soy

Programs: various
For $9 chargeback, I would expect that Chase would just eat the cost, as it will cost them a lot more to investigate this.
But for sure, reviews here and on tripadvisor calling attention to the shady practices of this hotel would be appropriate. At least it would caution future potential (victims) guests
Old Jun 7, 2024, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I’m currently in a payment dispute with a non-US Hyatt property around what I’m assuming is non-consensual DCC that occurred with a keyed-in manual transaction where they took the number from my reservation and did not allow me to use the expected machine to ensure that I was being charged in local currency. The difference is rather small - I was charged 148 USD when I should have been charged the equivalent of 139 USD - but still, it’s the principle of the matter that bothers me.

Property management has said they have reviewed CCTV footage and can’t figure out “what happened.” I’m still trying to figure out more clearly what they actually mean, but they have not offered any compensation or refunds yet.

Upon speaking with my bank, they are telling me that I should just dispute the transaction. My concern is that disputing a transaction will lead to a shutdown of my Hyatt account, which I don’t want.

I have involved my Hyatt Concierge in the conversation between me and the property, but haven’t heard back.

This is a country with a pegged exchange rate, so it’s not an unlucky fluctuation. All of my other charges in this country with my card result in the right exchange.
I do not believe in giving $0.01 more than they are entitled to, to any organization. Dispute the charge. Depending on your bank, it may just credit you without reaching back out to Hyatt due to the small amount in dispute. Even if it does reach out, you will still receive the credit.
I see no valid reason why Hyatt would close your account. You are not committing fraud
Good luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.