Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Wifi fail - bug-ridden, unreliable, and insecure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist

Hyatt's Sonifi Wifi is bug-ridden and not being managed properly.

FTers have variously previously reported:
1. Being kicked off of Wifi internet during their stay
2. Not being able to log back online via the Wifi login portal
3. The whole hotel's internet goes down

I can corroborate that all of the above is still happening across all device types (Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android).

Yesterday, I called Sonifi to workaround problem #2 by whitelisting my iPhone's MAC address. While troubleshooting with the Sonifi technician, I discovered critical lapses in how Hyatt's Wifi systems are being maintained and secured:
  1. Sonifi is not testing their Wifi systems to maintain compatibility with guest devices running the latest software. (This also explains why, when attempting to show the Wifi login screen, Android/Chrome will sometimes show that the Sonifi certificate is out-of-date.)
  2. Sonifi cannot see the status of its systems located on hotel premises. When I called Sonifi to whitelist my iPhone's MAC address, the Sonifi technician could not see my iPhone.
  3. Sonifi cannot remotely control its systems located on hotel premises. On the same call, the Sonifi technician needed to ask the Hyatt Place front desk to reboot the hotel's network. After rebooting the network twice, the Sonifi tech was still unable to whitelist my iPhone.

Conclusion: Hyatt's network is buggy and unreliable because Sonifi is failing to do basic network maintenance. It is likely that there are security risks with using the Hyatt/Sonifi network.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 9:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Eh, so just like everywhere else.

... and re: "insecure", it's bad practice to trust ANY public WiFi, especially unencrypted (no WiFi WPA password) ones
Old Mar 29, 2024, 10:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Stale, expired cert is the least of your problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.