Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strategy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2023, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Strategy

Current situation: globalist, 58 EQNs. I currently have 3 cat 1-4s with expirations around mid 2024, a future cat 1-7 once I hit 60 nights. EQNs earned this year were pretty even split between credit card spend (18), work trips (22), vacations (18). Having a second kid in December so I fully expect the vacations to go down significantly next year. If the work trips can maintain around the same number, I'd just have to charge more to the credit card to make up the other nights. I will spend that money organically regardless, just will "pay" for it in opportunity costs by not using a more "efficient" credit card. To re earn globalist, I have a couple options:
  • spend about $1k more on the personal credit card to hit the $5k milestone in 2023
  • use 2 of the free night certs I have at local hotels 10-20 mins away. These would be purely mattress runs and we likely not even stay the night. Just check in, come back the following morning for the free breakfast. I also need 1 more night for the 3k bonus journeys promo, so there's another benefit
I'm certainly leaning toward option 2, as there is a chance we may not be ready to travel with in infant in the first half of 2024. Better to use the certs before they expire. I also like the idea of "saving" the credit card spend to pass that $5k milestone in 2024. Thoughts from the experts?
Old Nov 7, 2023, 11:06 am

If you would spend the 1k anyway, that is certainly the easiest way to go
Old Nov 7, 2023, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Cat 1-4 certificates as a mattress run are a quite expensive way to do it... A cheaper mattress run would probably be worth it thanks to the 3k bonus points.

+1 for just spending more on the card.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 12:09 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Seagull689
I'm certainly leaning toward option 2, as there is a chance we may not be ready to travel with in infant in the first half of 2024. Better to use the certs before they expire. I also like the idea of "saving" the credit card spend to pass that $5k milestone in 2024. Thoughts from the experts?
What's the difference?

If you're not sure you can use two Cat 1-4 certs by "mid-2024," then you shouldn't worry about Globalist at all.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by js1993
What's the difference?

If you're not sure you can use two Cat 1-4 certs by "mid-2024," then you shouldn't worry about Globalist at all.
At this point, I’m just not sure what 2024 travel will look like. Yes, by mid next year if globalist is out of reach, I’m not going to spend money to chase it. At least for now, I want to at least stay on track to re earn through whatever means are available.

It’s a lot easier to earn the status when you already have it.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 2:11 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
In any event, spending the $1,000 seems like the easy choice here vs. wasting two mid-2024 certs on a mattress run.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 2:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
100% agree, spend $1K on your card and get the bonus nights now to requalify for globalist next year. It's not worth burning 2 Cat 1-4 certs which should be worth at a minimum $150+ each.

With life changes it's hard to know what will change. Who knows, maybe you'll want to do family vacations just to get out of the house
Old Nov 8, 2023, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by js1993
What's the difference?

Globalist is nice for business trips, which someone wouldn't use certs for.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 12:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Seagull689
At this point, I’m just not sure what 2024 travel will look like. Yes, by mid next year if globalist is out of reach, I’m not going to spend money to chase it. At least for now, I want to at least stay on track to re earn through whatever means are available.

It’s a lot easier to earn the status when you already have it.
Just as a reference once our baby hit 6 months we traveled a ton. He’s currently 2 and has been on 22 flights and multiple 1-2 week road trips.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Just as a reference once our baby hit 6 months we traveled a ton. He’s currently 2 and has been on 22 flights and multiple 1-2 week road trips.
That's helpful. Those 1-4 certs could definitely be used for some road trips to San Diego then
Old Nov 8, 2023, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by sethb
Globalist is nice for business trips, which someone wouldn't use certs for.
Right, but we were talking about night credits. There's no difference between night credits from certs or from spending $5,000 on the WoH CC.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 1:11 pm

Assuming you are one who pays off the credit card every month, adding $1K spend to the card seems a no brainer. You can even just pre-pay bills you otherwise will be paying in the future so that you aren't spending unnecessarily but just spending early.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by xooz
Assuming you are one who pays off the credit card every month, adding $1K spend to the card seems a no brainer. You can even just pre-pay bills you otherwise will be paying in the future so that you aren't spending unnecessarily but just spending early.
My electric company lets me pre-pay up to $1,500 for a flat $3.25 fee. Its a great way to hit minimums or spending thresholds
xooz likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 10:40 am

A third option is to buy $600 worth of gift cards from Mr and Mrs Smith through Hyatt's current promo (link here). This will get you 2 EQNs (1EQN per $300 gift card), plus 5 at least 5 base points per dollar (more if you buy the gift cards using your WOH CC. This gift cards never expire so you have some time to use them for yourself or someone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.