Wiki Posts
Search

Zero to Globalist in one stay

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2022, 4:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Originally Posted by Matt4200
Very odd -

I searched for Hyatt in Minneapolis and came up with the Hyatt Place Edina, MN. The taxes for 25 vs. 30 nights are the same tax rate, no difference.

Does Hyatt play by different rules than AirBNB?
Old Sep 30, 2022, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
OP, I lived in a Hyatt House for three months--with a one month break to travel. My last stay was 60 nights. When I got back to begin it, I was at 58 nights. When I checked out, it took about a day and a half, and then massive emails came in. At 118 nights now, I had so many rewards I was losing track. Do not delay in clicking on each one. They remain in your account, but click on them and redeem. I had not even redeemed my choice from my last one yet. But yes, you get them all, and in a week or so, your My Hyatt Concierge email will arrive.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by travelingdrsuz
OP, I lived in a Hyatt House for three months--with a one month break to travel. My last stay was 60 nights. When I got back to begin it, I was at 58 nights. When I checked out, it took about a day and a half, and then massive emails came in. At 118 nights now, I had so many rewards I was losing track. Do not delay in clicking on each one. They remain in your account, but click on them and redeem. I had not even redeemed my choice from my last one yet. But yes, you get them all, and in a week or so, your My Hyatt Concierge email will arrive.
There is a strategy for timing the milestone selection, should one be opting for the TSUs. I'd have to check what that timing is, but there's a particular date where the TSUs you select will gain an additional year of validity...probably in January? But I am not sure. So OP would be in that window where they could actually extend the TSU expiration date by waiting a few months without running afoul of the deadline to select their reward.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 10:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In MN, the threshold for being tax exempt should be 30 days (also in WI), but in MN, different properties apply it differently: Some require you to sign something at the beginning while others bill the tax every day and then wipe it out at 30 days. Some claim that you must/should pay the tax on the first thirty days even if you stay longer. Also, changing rooms within the hotel can restart the thirty day clock.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold, UA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jayer
I might be jealous you are that irreplaceable. I've become old and expendable.

I think you will very much enjoy the Hyatt Globalist treatment. But, be warned it does not mean you are always and automatically promoted to the Presidential Suite every time you arrive.

I always thought the best part of having Globalist, and I may not next year, is access to the club. When I lived in hotels I got so tired of the same four walls of my room, and having to choose dinner every morning and night. I was actually relieved just to go to the club for a change of place, and just having warm food waiting.

Be sure and use some of your point balance for a nice stay at the Grand Hyatt Kauai. Globalist will not get you a suite (maybe on the ground floor, but I don't like the ground floor) but almost certainly will get you a good view). Ask for 3rd to 6th floor.
jayer, I'm far from irreplaceable, used to think I was but over the last couple of years, that's been proved to be not correct. Agree with you regarding the lounge access, it's been a while since I had any status with a hotel chain and that is probably the benefit I miss most
Old Oct 1, 2022, 4:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In MN, the threshold for being tax exempt should be 30 days (also in WI), but in MN, different properties apply it differently: Some require you to sign something at the beginning while others bill the tax every day and then wipe it out at 30 days. Some claim that you must/should pay the tax on the first thirty days even if you stay longer. Also, changing rooms within the hotel can restart the thirty day clock.

I also checked 2 Hiltons and an IHG who all seem to show the full taxes on 30 nights (a little over 10% total tax between city and state) this was for 32 nights just in case for some reason the 30 night mark didn’t trigger it.

Old Oct 1, 2022, 6:44 am

It might not be too late to get the Hyatt card and charge your stay to it. You can use the Chase app to add your credit card to Google Pay (presumably also Apple Pay). When you select the card in the Chase app, there's an option for "Digital Wallets" to do so. It's been a while since I have done that, but from what I remember, you don't need any information from the physical card. So you could do this even while the card is in transit.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 6:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Soriak
It might not be too late to get the Hyatt card and charge your stay to it. You can use the Chase app to add your credit card to Google Pay (presumably also Apple Pay). When you select the card in the Chase app, there's an option for "Digital Wallets" to do so. It's been a while since I have done that, but from what I remember, you don't need any information from the physical card. So you could do this even while the card is in transit.
From my experience the Hyatt card is one of the longest, if not the longest, wait to receive from Chase even when expedited.

I’ve gotten 6 credit cards from Chase but Hyatt took the longest by far to even “create” from Chase.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold, UA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Thank you to everyone who has offered some great ideas and advice. Just to clarify a few points. I’m not at a property in the US and my client picks up the bill for the hotel, I pay for food and beverage, I usually pay the bill about once a week so I don’t think a Hyatt credit card will add much benefit. Thank you again, great community. I’ll hopefully remember to post a follow up once I am checked out and whatever points / days have been credited so that hopefully it will be of use to a someone in the future.
Football Fan likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 7:55 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by hawkinjohn
my client picks up the bill for the hotel, I pay for food and beverage, I usually pay the bill about once a week..
so do you pay with your own credit card in your own name, and the client refunds you later? Then there should not be an issue.
if your client pays the bill directly, that may be an issue for you getting the EQN and points.
Football Fan and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Soriak
I replaced a lost Hyatt card earlier this year and literally a minute after getting off the phone with Hyatt (did this while at a hotel in Mexico) I was pleasantly surprised to see my updated info in my Apple Wallet for me to pay for something in the gift shop. I wasn't sure if it was so instantaneous due to it being a replacement and not a brand new card though.

Originally Posted by hawkinjohn
Thank you to everyone who has offered some great ideas and advice. Just to clarify a few points. I’m not at a property in the US and my client picks up the bill for the hotel, I pay for food and beverage, I usually pay the bill about once a week so I don’t think a Hyatt credit card will add much benefit. Thank you again, great community. I’ll hopefully remember to post a follow up once I am checked out and whatever points / days have been credited so that hopefully it will be of use to a someone in the future.
The idea was that the card is offering double EQN so, as a card holder, you'll get two nights for every one night you earn starting Aug 23. So again, it's not about paying with the card, it's about you being a card holder when you check out and earn the EQN. (I haven't looked into the nitty gritty but this presumes you don't have to be registered or a cardholder at the start of the stay)
Old Oct 1, 2022, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by projectmaximus
I replaced a lost Hyatt card earlier this year and literally a minute after getting off the phone with Hyatt (did this while at a hotel in Mexico) I was pleasantly surprised to see my updated info in my Apple Wallet for me to pay for something in the gift shop. I wasn't sure if it was so instantaneous due to it being a replacement and not a brand new card though.

The idea was that the card is offering double EQN so, as a card holder, you'll get two nights for every one night you earn starting Aug 23. So again, it's not about paying with the card, it's about you being a card holder when you check out and earn the EQN. (I haven't looked into the nitty gritty but this presumes you don't have to be registered or a cardholder at the start of the stay)
However, double EQN still requires that the EQN being doubled are earned from a qualifying stay. There's a problem if the OP's employer pays the hotel directly.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: MMH MVP Charter Member, UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, double EQN still requires that the EQN being doubled are earned from a qualifying stay. There's a problem if the OP's employer pays the hotel directly.
Let's not confuse the OP. As long as the OP pays with a company credit card in his name, he should be good.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 1:09 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by sammybk
Let's not confuse the OP. As long as the OP pays with a company credit card in his name, he should be good.
that is what MSPeconomist and I have both said. No confusion.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 9:48 am

Definitely get the business card if you can! They will retroactively double most of these nights. You can be at 100 nights easily. You do not need to pay with the card

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.