Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Variation on the Globalist vs Titanium question!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2022, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt

Been lurking this thread: Would you rather Marriott Titanium or Hyatt Globalist

And I have a different question!

I am doing the 20 night/90 day globalist challenge, and I look to be on track for it (and min 60 nights in 2022) to switch to Globalist from Titanium Elite. My rationale is that redemptions seem better / more predictable than the variable rates and low point value of Bonvoy points (I know, it's not quite apples to apples).

I think 70 nights Globalist is in reach; I'm on track to hit 67 at current projected (and slightly optimistic) work + personal travel.

Im currently parked at 71 nights Marriott, so 75 is DEF in reach if I substitute out a Bethesda HR stay for a Marriott Bethesda HQ stay.

So which stretch goal is better? 70 Hyatt nights is a stretch, I can def hit 75 Marriott nights but that makes 70 Hyatt even more of a stretch. 5 SNAs vs 1 Suite upgrade; 1 FNA (50K? not sure) which I would not select.

I will say the Marriott HQ Bethesda looks way nicer than the Bethesda HR.

2023 plans: travel mostly to NYC, SF/Bay Area, DC, with reservations for Tokyo/Kanazawa/Nara/Osaka in May-June. Possible London/Stockholm travel but very unclear due to corporate reorgs and shifting focus.

I think I am leaning towards the Ti Elite for one more year vs (riskier) 70 Hyatt benefits. I do not know if I can maintain Ti Elite or even Ti AND Globalist stays in 2023 and will prioritize Globalist over Titanium for 2023 stays, with the exception of Nara (and maybe Osaka) - though redemption rates in Osaka are pretty high at the W Osaka, Hyatt Osaka location looks less great.
Scott15 likes this.

Last edited by tripmaster; Aug 14, 2022 at 10:04 am
Old Aug 14, 2022, 10:13 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Once you reach 60 nights in WoH, you'll have Glob status. The only additional bene 70 nights gets you is a "Milestone Reward" of either 10k points or another suite upgrade award (you'll already have 4 from reaching 60 nights). 75 Marriott nights seems like an obvious choice to me.
jpdx, MSPeconomist, renila and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: OWE, *Gold, STE+, Globalist, Titanium, Spire, Diamond
Titanium grants UA Silver which allows you to purchase United basic economy fares with minimal restrictions. You’re based in Seattle so that may not be as beneficial, but might still be of some value.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'd direct the extra nights to Marriott for Titanium and a 40k FNA and 2.5 extra points per dollar.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 10:45 am

Titanium has minimal benefits over Platinum, but 70 nights versus 60 nights has basically no benefits for Hyatt. You get another suite upgrade certificate or 10k points. At 60 you already get the concierge.
So another vote for Marriott
Old Aug 14, 2022, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'd direct the extra nights to Marriott for Titanium and a 40k FNA and 2.5 extra points per dollar.
That's def my leaning as seems to be the feedback so far. Plus i am 99% sure I'll get toe 75 Marriott (via our child's college parents weekend stay so almost certain we're going to that), vs 50/50 on 70 Hyatt (based on some speculative work travel).
Old Aug 14, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Aeroplan 25k, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Reiterating what others have said that 70 WOH vs 60 WOH provides only additional rewards, not additional status level/perks. I wonder if you have a cobrand card with either Marriott or Hyatt? Could be an easy way to grab an extra 15 (Marriott, even at no annual fee) or 5 (Hyatt, $95 AF) elite nights if that helps your projections/calculations.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EJRofChicago
Reiterating what others have said that 70 WOH vs 60 WOH provides only additional rewards, not additional status level/perks. I wonder if you have a cobrand card with either Marriott or Hyatt? Could be an easy way to grab an extra 15 (Marriott, even at no annual fee) or 5 (Hyatt, $95 AF) elite nights if that helps your projections/calculations.
Yep - got those card-based points, also accumulating $5000/2 nights on Hyatt card too... part of my calculations. The 75 night Bonvoy also is additional rewards z+ Ti Elite status, and those rewards may be better for me (40K FNA, or 5 SNAs) I think?
Old Aug 14, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
I used to earn Hilton diamond but switched to Hyatt last year and got globalist when they did the double nights promo on the card. I earned it in about 15 nights. Blows Hilton out of the water but the limited footprint is what hurts. I no longer earn diamond but get it via credit card anyway so no loss. Marriott’s footprint has me strongly considering using them as a backup to Hyatt. I’m waiting to see what changes come out with their new Amex cards. It’s only 20 nights to platinum with the card night credits but if their new card includes platinum status that would dilute it down to Hiltons level which would make it near useless. But having status with all major hotel chains would be nice in that I wouldn’t be limited in travel destinations as much or be stuck with a hotel I have no ties to.

As for which hotel to stick with if you plan on doing Marriot on those 23 trips I’d go for titanium. If one of them is a lengthier Hyatt trip and you’ll be out of suite upgrades I’d go for Hyatt because one of those would be extremely valuable to me. I don’t have firsthand experience with how Asian properties treat those with status as far as comp suite upgrades go but ghats something else to consider.
JoeWoodstock likes this.

Last edited by sfgiants13; Aug 15, 2022 at 8:18 am
Old Aug 14, 2022, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by ALGU
Titanium grants UA Silver which allows you to purchase United basic economy fares with minimal restrictions. You’re based in Seattle so that may not be as beneficial, but might still be of some value.
Minimal restrictions? I thought there were bag and seat selection fees?
Old Aug 14, 2022, 5:31 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
Seat selection is paid for, but you still get a free carry on and free checked bag. Plus, you still board with Group 2.
ProjectSunburst and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 5:34 pm

Programs: OWE, *Gold, STE+, Globalist, Titanium, Spire, Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare
Bags are not an issue when flying Basic Economy as Premier Silver.

Non premiers have to pay for Y+ and Y preferred on regular economy fares anyway, so the loss for a Premier in Basic Economy is the free selection of standard Y seating.

You’ll also lose upgrade eligibility but those chances aren’t great at Silver.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 5:48 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Also, to OP, go Marriott - no reason to not bump yourself to Titanium for UA status, extra bonus points, suite upgrades at Ritz, and higher upgrade priority over the Platinum masses.

A 50/50 chance to earn a single SUA or 10K points isn't worth the trade-off unless you planned on going solely Hyatt next year, which it sounds like you won't.
tripmaster and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I agree with the advice to go for Bonvoy Tit, but the situation might be a bit different if you're very close to lifetime status in either program. It sounds like you're just beginning with Hyatt, so this sin't an issue, but where do you stand with respect to lifetime Bonvoy status? This might make the Marriott recommendation even stronger.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I agree with the advice to go for Bonvoy Tit, but the situation might be a bit different if you're very close to lifetime status in either program. It sounds like you're just beginning with Hyatt, so this sin't an issue, but where do you stand with respect to lifetime Bonvoy status? This might make the Marriott recommendation even stronger.
If he starts now, it's ten years and that's assuming Marriott's IT doesn't screw up. I'm supposed to have four years as Platinum and yet, the app says three...

​​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.