Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Variation on the Globalist vs Titanium question!

Variation on the Globalist vs Titanium question!

Old Aug 15, 22, 6:46 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
For me, if you stay at a full service Hyatt for 7 nights the answer is obvious... Go for the suite night upgrade certificate milestone award.

I just used one for 7 nights where I got an ocean view suite that sold for 5 times more than the entry level rate I paid. I then extended another 9 nights at standard rate, and they let me stay in the same room for a total of 16 nights.
​​​​​​
I got almost $10,000 USD of upgrade amount at high season. I value that because I like suites. I don't see any titanium benefits equaling that.

If you can use 7 nights at a suite at a luxury property, take it.

I have zero stays at Marriott this year. I'm lifetime titanium. I see little difference between platinum and titanium but major benefits w Hyatt TSUs.
Now, if most of your stays in 2023 will be in Marriotts and you care about points, then maybe go for titanium...or if you are staying in limited service properties like HP or HH (being a Globalist is useless there. I just stay in a HP and not sure why I did aside from crazy low prorixe whole GH nearby was 9 times higher).

TSUs are probably the best benefit in the hospitality sector. How nice to book 7 nights in advance at high season and get a suite or often an executive suite?
Old Aug 15, 22, 8:16 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, World of Hyatt Globalist, AAdvantage Gold, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by SHLTP View Post
For me, if you stay at a full service Hyatt for 7 nights the answer is obvious... Go for the suite night upgrade certificate milestone award.

I just used one for 7 nights where I got an ocean view suite that sold for 5 times more than the entry level rate I paid. I then extended another 9 nights at standard rate, and they let me stay in the same room for a total of 16 nights.
​​​​​​
I got almost $10,000 USD of upgrade amount at high season. I value that because I like suites. I don't see any titanium benefits equaling that.

If you can use 7 nights at a suite at a luxury property, take it.

I have zero stays at Marriott this year. I'm lifetime titanium. I see little difference between platinum and titanium but major benefits w Hyatt TSUs.
Now, if most of your stays in 2023 will be in Marriotts and you care about points, then maybe go for titanium...or if you are staying in limited service properties like HP or HH (being a Globalist is useless there. I just stay in a HP and not sure why I did aside from crazy low prorixe whole GH nearby was 9 times higher).

TSUs are probably the best benefit in the hospitality sector. How nice to book 7 nights in advance at high season and get a suite or often an executive suite?
This is valid for a specific type of traveler - lots of people aren't going to spend 7 nights straight at luxury hotels for single stays where you can get significant value out of a TSU. In addition, the ability to use a TSU for stays that long is going to be dependent on specific locations and the demand seen there.
tripmaster and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 15, 22, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I agree with the advice to go for Bonvoy Tit, but the situation might be a bit different if you're very close to lifetime status in either program. It sounds like you're just beginning with Hyatt, so this sin't an issue, but where do you stand with respect to lifetime Bonvoy status? This might make the Marriott recommendation even stronger.
Good point - I am 6 yrs Plat, 4 more to go, so I def wanna maintain Plat for 4 more yrs. I am prob pretty far away from lifetime Globalist.
Old Aug 15, 22, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast View Post
This is valid for a specific type of traveler - lots of people aren't going to spend 7 nights straight at luxury hotels for single stays where you can get significant value out of a TSU. In addition, the ability to use a TSU for stays that long is going to be dependent on specific locations and the demand seen there.
Yeah, 4 TSU works fine for me. To use the 5th I earned last year, I'll have to burn it on a 1 night stay, probably somewhere non-aspirational.
Old Aug 15, 22, 10:10 am

One more in support of titanium. The ONE exception is if you think you will use all 4 of the TSUs that come with globalist AND you would have a good use case for a 5th TSU. Actually using the 5th TSU in a meaningful way would IMHO trump the benefits of titanium. But agree with others the odds of having 5 high quality TSU stays is highly unlikely.
Old Aug 15, 22, 10:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
One result of this thread is I see a lot of people who complain about Marriott elite treatment seem to remain loyal for non guaranteed benefits as a titanium so much that they'll skip guaranteed Hyatt benefits like a TSU.

This is why Marriott gets away w things. Oh well.

Back to OP.

For travelers like me who typically stay 5-10 nights at luxury properties, TSUs are incredible. My average length of a stay is over 7 days so they are meaningful for me.

I've only stayed 1 night in a Hyatt thrice in last 2 years. Typically longer term
tripmaster and UA-NYC like this.
Old Aug 16, 22, 5:26 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, World of Hyatt Globalist, AAdvantage Gold, United Premier Silver
One result of this thread is I see a lot of people who complain about Marriott elite treatment seem to remain loyal for non guaranteed benefits as a titanium so much that they'll skip guaranteed Hyatt benefits like a TSU.

Back to OP.

For travelers like me who typically stay 5-10 nights at luxury properties, TSUs are incredible. My average length of a stay is over 7 days so they are meaningful for me.

I've only stayed 1 night in a Hyatt thrice in last 2 years. Typically longer term
There's nothing not guaranteed about UA Silver status and extra bonus points through Titanium.

The other aspect that is important to consider is that TSUs also have risk. If you stay in high-demand countries, there is a possibility that the suites that would be used to maximize a TSU's value won't be available for 5-7 night stays. If you can only travel during specific times and the suites are booked, then you either have to go somewhere non-optimal to use a TSU or waste it.

Again, it's all up to OP on whether or not they feel like their travel patterns match those of needing 5 vs. 4 TSUs for maximization.
tripmaster likes this.
Old Aug 17, 22, 7:53 am
Original Poster

I probably have no more than 3 big stays that I can use a TSU for - Japan in May-June, and maybe winter... maybe something in DC or NYC, for 2023. Sadly my longest stay in Japan in Spring may be Osaka, and I'd prefer the W Osaka to the Hyatt offering. Ive done a lot of Tokyo so 4 nights there may be a stretch.
Old Aug 17, 22, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Back to OP.

No question TSU > SNA. One of the reasons I'm switching over.
Old Aug 17, 22, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Many people maintain status in both programs because (a) Hyatt's footprint is too small, and (b) the Marriott program still delivers value, though less than it did before the SPG merger and subsequent serial devaluations.
tripmaster and JoeWoodstock like this.
Old Aug 21, 22, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Many people maintain status in both programs because (a) Hyatt's footprint is too small, and (b) the Marriott program still delivers value, though less than it did before the SPG merger and subsequent serial devaluations.
Some people (speaking of myself) maintain status cause they are stupid, just chasing status for status' sake. I already have LT platinum (couldn't get LT titanium cause didn't have enough years, unfortunately).
Hyatt earning is much better on extended stay hotels (cause they treat it as normal), so if I were to switch to an extended stay Marriott I'd lose a whole lot of points.
But still trying to figure out a way to "shove in" some Marriott stays to reach titanium this year. Not sure why. Don't get upgraded, I get a free night certificate, UA silver status matters only if you fly UA (which I try to avoid) not other Star Alliance.

I feel the justification for "mattress runs" is always difficult, similar to justification for mileage runs. If you aren't flying that much anyway, then what's the point? Spending more money, adjusting your schedule, creating more hassle, for what? It's like people view it as an "investment."
Old Aug 21, 22, 10:43 am

OP, the M-Club at the Marriott Bethesda HQ is not great (see my review in the Marriott forum). However the hotel has a great location and the room is nice.
tripmaster likes this.

Search this Thread