Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Payment Using Spouse's Credit Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2021, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat

Somewhat new to the Hyatt. Wife and I have reservation at a Hyatt that will result in somewhat large bill. I have Hyatt status, my wife does not. Reservation will be in my name, we are traveling/checking in together (no shenanigans or attempt to circumvent here). Is there any problem in paying the bill at check out with a credit card in my wife's name? (I am not an authorized user on the card). Would this negate receiving EQNs or bonus points?

I ask this because in the SPG/Marriott world their have been reports (occasionally) that when doing what I propose, it basically changed the reservation to the spouses name, as they were the party paying and thus no EQNs, bonus points, etc. were awarded. Obviously, that is not an outcome I desire. However, the spend would cover a substantial amount for a SUB in one fell swoop, so would be valuable if I can make it work.

Regards
Old May 7, 2021, 7:43 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
My husband always pays for our stays when traveling together with rez in my name. Never a problem getting proper credit to my account.
Old May 7, 2021, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hedoman
My husband always pays for our stays when traveling together with rez in my name. Never a problem getting proper credit to my account.
Thank you very much for the data point.

Regards
Old May 7, 2021, 10:21 am

Technically, it has to be paid by you. Only once was this actually ever an issue for me when once staying with a friend, they checked in before me and somehow they put the stay on their card at the end of the stay. It did not give me credit but in the end I was able to get it fixed. I cannot imagine using your spouse's card would be an issue though, especially if you stay together. Given that many spouses have AU cards from the other (even if you say you do not), there are just too many common reasons to use each other's cards where you still basically are paying that I cannot see it being an issue.
Old May 8, 2021, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by scubadu
Somewhat new to the Hyatt. Wife and I have reservation at a Hyatt that will result in somewhat large bill. I have Hyatt status, my wife does not. Reservation will be in my name, we are traveling/checking in together (no shenanigans or attempt to circumvent here). Is there any problem in paying the bill at check out with a credit card in my wife's name? (I am not an authorized user on the card). Would this negate receiving EQNs or bonus points?

I ask this because in the SPG/Marriott world their have been reports (occasionally) that when doing what I propose, it basically changed the reservation to the spouses name, as they were the party paying and thus no EQNs, bonus points, etc. were awarded. Obviously, that is not an outcome I desire. However, the spend would cover a substantial amount for a SUB in one fell swoop, so would be valuable if I can make it work.

Regards
Originally Posted by hedoman
Originally Posted by antonius66
Technically, it has to be paid by you. Only once was this actually ever an issue for me when once staying with a friend, they checked in before me and somehow they put the stay on their card at the end of the stay. It did not give me credit but in the end I was able to get it fixed. I cannot imagine using your spouse's card would be an issue though, especially if you stay together. Given that many spouses have AU cards from the other (even if you say you do not), there are just too many common reasons to use each other's cards where you still basically are paying that I cannot see it being an issue.
What antonius66 said is true. My girlfriend booked a stay under her name. She checked in before me as I was stuck in the office. When I arrived, I asked the front desk to add my Hyatt number to the folio since I had status. My girlfriend used her credit card for the pre-authorized charge. At check-out, I paid for the bill with my Chase Hyatt credit card. After a few days, I still didn't get credit for that night. I contacted Hyatt and they said according to their records, someone else paid for my stay. I said that's not true. The receipt I got from the property even showed the last 4 digits of my credit card. I offered to send the receipt to prove that it was me who paid for the stay. The rep kindly said no need since it was just one night and offered to give me the credit as a one-time courtesy. She then reminded me to always pay for my stay if I want the EQN. I took issue with the last sentence as it implied that I was lying. I reminded her that I have proof with me. She followed up with an apology and did not mean to offend me.
Old May 8, 2021, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lsquare
What antonius66 said is true. My girlfriend booked a stay under her name. She checked in before me as I was stuck in the office. When I arrived, I asked the front desk to add my Hyatt number to the folio since I had status. My girlfriend used her credit card for the pre-authorized charge. At check-out, I paid for the bill with my Chase Hyatt credit card. After a few days, I still didn't get credit for that night. I contacted Hyatt and they said according to their records, someone else paid for my stay. I said that's not true. The receipt I got from the property even showed the last 4 digits of my credit card. I offered to send the receipt to prove that it was me who paid for the stay. The rep kindly said no need since it was just one night and offered to give me the credit as a one-time courtesy. She then reminded me to always pay for my stay if I want the EQN. I took issue with the last sentence as it implied that I was lying. I reminded her that I have proof with me. She followed up with an apology and did not mean to offend me.
No offense, but what you did is not at all what I'm doing. Having the reservation originally made in your girlfriend's name, rather than your own, was just asking for problems and does not surprise me at all. That situation has been discussed numerous times over the years on FT and is pretty well known to be problematic.

In this case, reservation is in my name, we are arriving together, I will be the one checking into the property (not my wife). The credit card currently on file for the deposit is mine. I will be checking out. The only thing that will occur is settling the final bill with my wife's credit card, same last name. Pretty different circumstances. That said, there is a risk on the "who, specifically is paying" front and obviously, that is why I asked the question.

Regards
Old May 8, 2021, 7:40 am

Why don't you want to pay with your own credit card?
Old May 8, 2021, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Regards
Originally Posted by zack14
Why don't you want to pay with your own credit card?
I literally spelled out the reason in my original post.

Regards
Old May 8, 2021, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Fundamentally, while the risk is small, there is still a possibility that you will not get the EQNs you intend to earn. From a general FT perspective, if you can live with the risk, then go forward with your plan. If you can't, then don't.

David
lsquare and drewp123 like this.
Old May 8, 2021, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
Your issue is the front desk must not have changed out the Hyatt number, or done so incorrectly. People can cite T&Cs all day long but in my experience with over 100 nights this year and half of them paid by someone else, as long as room was initially booked in your name with your number attached there is no problem getting benefits and eqns. You can never rely on the front desk to change loyalty number.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 8, 2021, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
If you want to be as close to 100% sure as you can, just checkout at the desk and tell them you want the charged on another card. Have your wife with you to sign.

Alternatively, just have a partial payment towards the end of the stay on your wife’s card but have the final bill on your card.
Old May 8, 2021, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
No offense, but what you did is not at all what I'm doing. Having the reservation originally made in your girlfriend's name, rather than your own, was just asking for problems and does not surprise me at all. That situation has been discussed numerous times over the years on FT and is pretty well known to be problematic.

In this case, reservation is in my name, we are arriving together, I will be the one checking into the property (not my wife). The credit card currently on file for the deposit is mine. I will be checking out. The only thing that will occur is settling the final bill with my wife's credit card, same last name. Pretty different circumstances. That said, there is a risk on the "who, specifically is paying" front and obviously, that is why I asked the question.

Regards
My bad then. I made my response very early this morning.
Old May 22, 2021, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Just to close the loop, at check out, we did indeed switch to payment with my wife's credit card. Reservation stayed in my name.

Points and EQNs all properly posted the day following check out. Even received the extra 500 pts per 2 nights for being a Hyatt WOH cardholder (for the Bonus Journeys promo) even though I didn't pay with the WOH card. Can't guarantee it will work in all cases, every time, but in this scenario it worked out fine.

Thanks to all for the data points/discussion.

Regards
cfabar1, DELee and lsquare like this.
Old May 24, 2021, 9:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Not a problem at any hyatt I've tried in North America. Occasionally - and mostly not at top tier properties - front desk notices and they ask to see the cardholder's ID as well. Bonus Journeys is based on the WOH account the card is linked to, not the card charged, sadly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.