Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Ziva Riviera Cancun REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Ziva Riviera Cancun REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2021, 3:02 pm

Update of my update: Got my reservations switched to Ziva Cancun successfully after two more phone calls today. Turns out I was too quick to call yesterday, as they still hadn't received the memo on how to deal with this case. When I called today, they were quite familiar with the situation and had everything taken care of quite smoothly. Procrastination might be a good thing sometimes...

As to why I would book this hotel for the first week of its opening - this's exactly what I suspected: they would delay and move us. In the end, I'll be staying at Ziva Cancun for the Ziva Riviera Cancun grand opening special price of $299. Not a bad deal if you ask me, especially when Ziva Cancun's rate is $500+. And because I'm in Mexico already, if the outcome is not ideal, I'm totally okay with cancelling the reservation. Actually, I chose the first week because someone on FT once commented how "gambling" on hotel openings could be beneficial. I guess he's right. If I didn't have to spend too much time over the phone yesterday, it would have been a perfect situation.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Looks like they're now opening on Wednesday, thinking of booking for next week. Anyone with experience at newly opened AIs? Should I expect to be disappointed with a lot of things not open?
Old Sep 13, 2021, 9:52 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gooseman13
Looks like they're now opening on Wednesday, thinking of booking for next week. Anyone with experience at newly opened AIs? Should I expect to be disappointed with a lot of things not open?
Yes
gooseman13 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I would expect more than just disappointment (e.g. lots of frustration). I generally steer clear of new hotel opening dates (and the next few weeks after opening) because it's nearly guaranteed to have teething issues. At an AI those teething issues are usually much worse - especially when they're going to be opening at limited capacity (less restaurants open, less staff, etc, etc). Unless you're getting an exceptionally good deal I would avoid this property for at least a few weeks.
lowfareair and gooseman13 like this.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 10:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Rather than a full week here, decided to do two nights and then the rest of the week elsewhere in Cancun. Checked in tonight and so far a good experience. Definitely some minor teething going on (front desk not sure how to use the credit card machine, fire alarms going off a couple times at dinner, globalist recognition basically consisted of them saying ten times "thank you for your loyalty" but no actual upgrade and no ancillary benefits.

Room is nice, about what I think a junior suite should be, one room but oversized, with couch and table. Large balcony with another daybed.

Food so far is pretty good, perhaps two of the eight things I ordered I didn't care for but the rest was quite good and I typically over order at an AI, so if a dish or two isn't that good it doesn't really affect the overall meal.

Service is excellent, particularly in that all the staff seems very genuine and friendly. We just ordered room service at 1045 and the agent on the phone said it would be there within 30 minutes, it arrived in less time and order was completely accurate.

Haven't really explored most of the resort since we got in later in the afternoon. Happy to answer any questions out there.
SharkyTheArchae likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 9:17 am

Rather than a full week here, decided to do two nights and then the rest of the week elsewhere in Cancun. Checked in tonight and so far a good experience. Definitely some minor teething going on (front desk not sure how to use the credit card machine, fire alarms going off a couple times at dinner, globalist recognition basically consisted of them saying ten times "thank you for your loyalty" but no actual upgrade and no ancillary benefits.

Room is nice, about what I think a junior suite should be, one room but oversized, with couch and table. Large balcony with another daybed.

Food so far is pretty good, perhaps two of the eight things I ordered I didn't care for but the rest was quite good and I typically over order at an AI, so if a dish or two isn't that good it doesn't really affect the overall meal.

Service is excellent, particularly in that all the staff seems very genuine and friendly. We just ordered room service at 1045 and the agent on the phone said it would be there within 30 minutes, it arrived in less time and order was completely accurate.

Haven't really explored most of the resort since we got in later in the afternoon. Happy to answer any questions out there.
Looking forward to your next post before checkout.. Heading there next month
Old Sep 21, 2021, 7:21 am

In short, service was excellent (I'd give it 5 stars for enthusiasm, 4 stars for refinement). We were assigned a butler who we could contact via whatsapp, had a couple of things we reached out about and she responded quickly, but she worked the PM hours and while she said someone would take care of us in the morning, we never heard from anyone proactively.

Food overall was very good. Some things better than others, but lots of variety and no issue ordering whatever you wanted. We had a few long talks with the head mixologist, apparently there is a big focus on cocktails being as good as the food. Lots of interesting drinks and good liquor. Would have liked to see a larger beer selection though.

Pools were quite nice, beach had a decent amount of seaweed and was smaller than what I normally experience in Cancun.

Some small things that bugged me - shower was not able to maintain consistent temperature, no sort of regular communication each day as to what restaurants were open/which activities. No tangible globalist recognition, no upgrade (but the only upgrade would have been a slightly better view), and they wouldn't grant me more than a 1pm late checkout because the room was assigned to someone else even though our room type was still available for booking.

Overally glad I went, 2 or maybe 3 day probably would have been plenty. Happy to answer any questions.
cuthroat and SharkyTheArchae like this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 8:05 pm

In short, service was excellent (I'd give it 5 stars for enthusiasm, 4 stars for refinement). We were assigned a butler who we could contact via whatsapp, had a couple of things we reached out about and she responded quickly, but she worked the PM hours and while she said someone would take care of us in the morning, we never heard from anyone proactively.

Food overall was very good. Some things better than others, but lots of variety and no issue ordering whatever you wanted. We had a few long talks with the head mixologist, apparently there is a big focus on cocktails being as good as the food. Lots of interesting drinks and good liquor. Would have liked to see a larger beer selection though.

Pools were quite nice, beach had a decent amount of seaweed and was smaller than what I normally experience in Cancun.

Some small things that bugged me - shower was not able to maintain consistent temperature, no sort of regular communication each day as to what restaurants were open/which activities. No tangible globalist recognition, no upgrade (but the only upgrade would have been a slightly better view), and they wouldn't grant me more than a 1pm late checkout because the room was assigned to someone else even though our room type was still available for booking.

Overally glad I went, 2 or maybe 3 day probably would have been plenty. Happy to answer any questions.
Sounds good! I saw they serve Ketel One with the morning bloody mary bar. Pretty impressive for an AI.

I'm staying in January and have the Ocean Front Master Suite booked. 40k points for a ~$950 AI room seemed like a pretty good deal. Hopefully the kinks are worked out by then and everything is opened!
Old Sep 22, 2021, 7:37 pm

Old Oct 6, 2021, 5:30 pm

At the resort now. Let me give you brief overview.

So far, there are only about 4 buildings open. And even within those 4 buildings, not all the rooms are available. I would say about 20% occupancy.

Staff has been has been fantastic.

There's not an easy way to find out what activity or shows or restaurants are open without having to call the front desk.

We were not assigned a butler.

Food is better than any Hyatt Ziva and Zilara we've been to (Ziva & Zilara cancun, cap cana, PVR). It's as good as the food at the Andaz Mayakoba high end restaurant for reference.

Staff is great about wearing masks.

Pools are plentiful and main pool does seem to be heated.

Speciality cocktails and mocktails at each of the restaurant is a wonderful fun touch. Gets you to try some new stuff.

Short taxi cab ride to Puerto Morello is crazy $35.

There has been ZERO Hyatt status recognition. As a Globalist on an anniversary trip paid in cash, I got nuthin. No room upgrade, no bottle of wine in the room, not a note in the room, not even a thanks for being Globalist.

Beach is full of seaweed and I think it's because their bobcat broke and are manually raking. Other beach above resort have been doing better using the tractor.

The waterslides are still not open. But the Cap Cana water park is much more impressive.

They rotate two dinner restaurants while the steak restaurant is open every night.

The rooms are very spacious. Similar to the Hyatt Ziva and Cap Cana, except wider. But some of the fixtures show age, like our toilet has a big chip in the water tank.

Strange thing. The sliding balcony door does not have a handle on the outside and it has an automatic latch. If you close the door when you go out, there's no way to open the door unless someone from the inside lets you in. I'm not sure if this is just my room. My wife got locked out in the patio while I went to go for a workout.

I think this place has the potential to be a great resort. It's too soon to tell which direction it will go. Because of the lower cash price, the low occupancy, excellent food, and great staff, I can deal with the flaws. But with cash and points price being equal, I would choose Cap Cana. Maybe even Ziva Cancun.

I am kinda surprised that this place is open when over 50% is not ready.
cuthroat and strickerj like this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Pointsloop
At the resort now. Let me give you brief overview.

So far, there are only about 4 buildings open. And even within those 4 buildings, not all the rooms are available. I would say about 20% occupancy.

Staff has been has been fantastic.

There's not an easy way to find out what activity or shows or restaurants are open without having to call the front desk.

We were not assigned a butler.

Food is better than any Hyatt Ziva and Zilara we've been to (Ziva & Zilara cancun, cap cana, PVR). It's as good as the food at the Andaz Mayakoba high end restaurant for reference.

Staff is great about wearing masks.

Pools are plentiful and main pool does seem to be heated.

Speciality cocktails and mocktails at each of the restaurant is a wonderful fun touch. Gets you to try some new stuff.

Short taxi cab ride to Puerto Morello is crazy $35.

There has been ZERO Hyatt status recognition. As a Globalist on an anniversary trip paid in cash, I got nuthin. No room upgrade, no bottle of wine in the room, not a note in the room, not even a thanks for being Globalist.

Beach is full of seaweed and I think it's because their bobcat broke and are manually raking. Other beach above resort have been doing better using the tractor.

The waterslides are still not open. But the Cap Cana water park is much more impressive.

They rotate two dinner restaurants while the steak restaurant is open every night.

The rooms are very spacious. Similar to the Hyatt Ziva and Cap Cana, except wider. But some of the fixtures show age, like our toilet has a big chip in the water tank.

Strange thing. The sliding balcony door does not have a handle on the outside and it has an automatic latch. If you close the door when you go out, there's no way to open the door unless someone from the inside lets you in. I'm not sure if this is just my room. My wife got locked out in the patio while I went to go for a workout.

I think this place has the potential to be a great resort. It's too soon to tell which direction it will go. Because of the lower cash price, the low occupancy, excellent food, and great staff, I can deal with the flaws. But with cash and points price being equal, I would choose Cap Cana. Maybe even Ziva Cancun.

I am kinda surprised that this place is open when over 50% is not ready.
Heading there in a couple of weeks wondering if the Spa was open yet when you were there?
Old Oct 8, 2021, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Pat Rose
Heading there in a couple of weeks wondering if the Spa was open yet when you were there?
The spa was supposed to open today. I didn't get to see it, but I'm sure it will be in by a few weeks if it hasn't already.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 8:40 pm

Last night here, and I'll give you some updates.

https://zivarivieracancun.resortsbyh...servicename=KI

You can find the menus of the restaurant there. However, some of the menus, like the Steak House and Balik, are smaller scale as of now than what you see online. The mediterranean restaurant has only been open for use a breakfast buffet. And that is the only breakfast option besides room service.

The sports bar finally opened yesterday.

There are evening shows every night, but you have to ask what show it will be. The fire show is fantastic.

The water slides are finally open and it is very unimpressive. Do not book here because of the waterslides. I got stuck on one of the slides because there wasn't enough water flowing and I told them about it and they said it was because I was wearing a swim shirt, which is bull. There is a slide you ride on a tube but they only had ONE tube available. LOL. And honestly, I don't think the pool is wide enough for the slide. If you have your feet sticking off the tube, there's a good chance your feet will smash into the pool side on the bottom.

The seaweed situation is slightly better because their tractor is working again, but even with that and 4 people crew, only half the beach was cleaned.

The shower situation is strange. The water pressure can changes every five seconds, but that's not as bad as the water temperature changing from very hot to cool with the water pressure. Not sure if our room is the only one with this problem, but when I reported it to the front desk, they do seem to be aware of the pressure situation.

Speaking of water, we didn't have water from 5am to 2pm yesterday due to a water main break.

The boardwalk seems a day or two away from being done.

The big pool that goes through the "tunnel" has been drained the whole time I've been here.

Room ac doesn't seem to be controlled by the room thermostat. It hasn't been hot or anything, but the room doesn't get super cold. The temperature never goes as low as I set it.

The activity people are awesome.

The ocean water is very shallow and best to wear water shoes. I asked the lifeguard if there's good snorkeling from the beach and he said "not really." So if you want to snorkel, take a 15min $35 taxi to puerto Morelos, don't pay more than $25 for the snorkel excursion, and then take the $20 cab ride back to the hotel.

There is also a snorkeling company pretty close to hotel and they cost $99.

There's USD ATM in the lobby. Fees are outrageous. I withdrew $150 and it charged me over $20 in fees. Thank goodness for Schwab card.

There's loud music at the main pool from about 10am to 5pm. If you want to get away from loud music, you have to go to the side pools, but you won't get drink service.

Today has been the first day where there seemed to be a greater amount of people, but there were plenty of pool chairs available.

Speaking of pool loungers, they are made of HARD wicker material, no cushioning. Add another towel under your bottom to help. The beach loungers are the fabric kind so probably have more give.

For anyone who cares, they have both diet coke and coke zero. It's called Coke Light and Coke Sin Azucar respectively.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 9:25 pm

Programs: SW A-List, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Pointsloop
Last night here, and I'll give you some updates.

You can find the menus of the restaurant there. However, some of the menus, like the Steak House and Balik, are smaller scale as of now than what you see online. The mediterranean restaurant has only been open for use a breakfast buffet. And that is the only breakfast option besides room service.

The sports bar finally opened yesterday.

There are evening shows every night, but you have to ask what show it will be. The fire show is fantastic.

The water slides are finally open and it is very unimpressive. Do not book here because of the waterslides. I got stuck on one of the slides because there wasn't enough water flowing and I told them about it and they said it was because I was wearing a swim shirt, which is bull. There is a slide you ride on a tube but they only had ONE tube available. LOL. And honestly, I don't think the pool is wide enough for the slide. If you have your feet sticking off the tube, there's a good chance your feet will smash into the pool side on the bottom.

The seaweed situation is slightly better because their tractor is working again, but even with that and 4 people crew, only half the beach was cleaned.

The shower situation is strange. The water pressure can changes every five seconds, but that's not as bad as the water temperature changing from very hot to cool with the water pressure. Not sure if our room is the only one with this problem, but when I reported it to the front desk, they do seem to be aware of the pressure situation.

Speaking of water, we didn't have water from 5am to 2pm yesterday due to a water main break.

The boardwalk seems a day or two away from being done.

The big pool that goes through the "tunnel" has been drained the whole time I've been here.

Room ac doesn't seem to be controlled by the room thermostat. It hasn't been hot or anything, but the room doesn't get super cold. The temperature never goes as low as I set it.

The activity people are awesome.

The ocean water is very shallow and best to wear water shoes. I asked the lifeguard if there's good snorkeling from the beach and he said "not really." So if you want to snorkel, take a 15min $35 taxi to puerto Morelos, don't pay more than $25 for the snorkel excursion, and then take the $20 cab ride back to the hotel.

There is also a snorkeling company pretty close to hotel and they cost $99.

There's USD ATM in the lobby. Fees are outrageous. I withdrew $150 and it charged me over $20 in fees. Thank goodness for Schwab card.

There's loud music at the main pool from about 10am to 5pm. If you want to get away from loud music, you have to go to the side pools, but you won't get drink service.

Today has been the first day where there seemed to be a greater amount of people, but there were plenty of pool chairs available.

Speaking of pool loungers, they are made of HARD wicker material, no cushioning. Add another towel under your bottom to help. The beach loungers are the fabric kind so probably have more give.

For anyone who cares, they have both diet coke and coke zero. It's called Coke Light and Coke Sin Azucar respectively.
We’re currently here and leaving tomorrow morning, in an Ocean Front Junior Suite King, you’re completely spot on with everything in your review. We have the same experience with the water pressure/temperature in the shower and on the faucets in the bathroom, as well as the air temperature in the room. The water also seemed to shut off again last night, as it was not working around 4am this morning, but came back on shortly after.

The food/beverage staff and activity staff have been absolutely excellent, the food started out very strong and the quality got a bit weaker over the past week we’ve been here.

Agree on the pool loungers being uncomfortable as well, the cabanas are much more comfortable but start at $69 to reserve for the day, only 8 of them or so around the main pool. The music around the pool also gets repetitive with the same playlist everyday.

The spa isn’t open yet and they are currently offering a limited menu, they’ve been using dedicated guest rooms for massages while the spa isn’t open.

The resort definitely has more work to be done to be fully ready to handle 100% capacity and isn’t close to the Zilara/Ziva Cancun experience yet, but the staff is trying.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:07 am

Are the swim up bars open yet?

Originally Posted by crash21
We’re currently here and leaving tomorrow morning, in an Ocean Front Junior Suite King, you’re completely spot on with everything in your review. We have the same experience with the water pressure/temperature in the shower and on the faucets in the bathroom, as well as the air temperature in the room. The water also seemed to shut off again last night, as it was not working around 4am this morning, but came back on shortly after.

The food/beverage staff and activity staff have been absolutely excellent, the food started out very strong and the quality got a bit weaker over the past week we’ve been here.

Agree on the pool loungers being uncomfortable as well, the cabanas are much more comfortable but start at $69 to reserve for the day, only 8 of them or so around the main pool. The music around the pool also gets repetitive with the same playlist everyday.

The spa isn’t open yet and they are currently offering a limited menu, they’ve been using dedicated guest rooms for massages while the spa isn’t open.

The resort definitely has more work to be done to be fully ready to handle 100% capacity and isn’t close to the Zilara/Ziva Cancun experience yet, but the staff is trying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.