Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Mattress Run for Hyatt Globalist in 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mattress Run for Hyatt Globalist in 2022

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2022, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I know I lowered withholding on my husband's pension just so I can pay estimated taxes Ditto for my ridiculously high property taxes. I'm paying 3% on that one, but it gets me more than 1.5 nights.
Originally Posted by Beckles
Anything below 3% fee is pretty easy to justify on a Hyatt card if you are getting value from those elite night credits for every $5k, let's not forget that the points you're earning for something you would otherwise pay for with a cash equivalent are easily worth 2 cents/point with Hyatt IMO. You also should factor in some value from milestones, if you're going to 60 nights you'll get:
  • 2 Club Upgrades at 20 nights (worthless if you're already Globalist)
  • Category 1-4 Free Night at 30 nights
  • 5,000 points at 40 nights
  • 2 Suite Upgrades at 50 nights
  • 2 Suite Upgrades and Category 1-7 Free Night at 60 nights
I'm in a similar position, I will probably need a ton of spend on the Hyatt Visa or some mattress running at the end of the year to get to 60 nights, but the at hotel benefits plus the points plus the milestones pretty easily justify it in my mind. Fortunately, I am getting a little uptick in business travel it looks like, but unfortunately when I go to places like Traverse City, Michigan and Springfield, Illinois (two actual work trips coming up in the next six weeks) it hurts that I don't even have the option of staying at a Hyatt property. I have been using my Hyatt Visa more this year than previous years, all restaurant spend goes on there plus Costco spend, and of course Hyatt spend.
If one has both the personal and the business card and spends $65k a year ($15k on personal and $50k on business), one can get for the $300 annual fee:

-65k points (minimum not including category bonuses)
-36 elite nights total comprised of 11 elite nights from personal card (5 annual plus 6 for spend) plus 25 elite nights from business card (completely from spend)
- up to 20k points rebate from biz card for spending $50k
- $100 rebate from biz card for two stays.
- two anniversary nights from the personal card

so for $65k at say average 2%, for $1300 plus the $300 annual fee you get all of the above not including calculating your personal value for globalist.

36 elite nights / $1300 = $37 per elite night. Way better than any $75-$100 mattress runs or cat 1 points mattress run. Obviously if you can get to Vegas for the Luxor/Excalibur deals, then that might be better.

the best for non credit card holders true mattress run is to go camping
Old Aug 5, 2022, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by myperks
If one has both the personal and the business card and spends $65k a year ($15k on personal and $50k on business), one can get for the $300 annual fee:

-65k points (minimum not including category bonuses)
-36 elite nights total comprised of 11 elite nights from personal card (5 annual plus 6 for spend) plus 25 elite nights from business card (completely from spend)
- up to 20k points rebate from biz card for spending $50k
- $100 rebate from biz card for two stays.
- two anniversary nights from the personal card

so for $65k at say average 2%, for $1300 plus the $300 annual fee you get all of the above not including calculating your personal value for globalist.

36 elite nights / $1300 = $37 per elite night. Way better than any $75-$100 mattress runs or cat 1 points mattress run. Obviously if you can get to Vegas for the Luxor/Excalibur deals, then that might be better.

the best for non credit card holders true mattress run is to go camping
The problem with the Vegas runs is that I'll have to book multiple stays and make multiple trips there. Not really feasible nor practical for someone not based in LAS.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
The problem with the Vegas runs is that I'll have to book multiple stays and make multiple trips there. Not really feasible nor practical for someone not based in LAS.
Agreed. I don't really get all the interest in Vegas runs, maybe we have a lot of Globalist lites who live there. Flights are also expensive to Vegas and weekdays are not really feasible for those of us who still work in offices.

Originally Posted by myperks
I love this strategy but it would still leave me 24 nights short. In a normal year I'd get about 10-15 from my regular travel so I'd still need some mattress nights. And of course there is the opportunity cost of spending $65k on Hyatt which is a large amount in light of my need to meet SUB and other bonus requirements for my other credit cards. Not to mention I'd rather have 2 Amex/$1 or 1.5 Chase/$1 than 1 Hyatt/$1 on everyday non-bonus spend.

the at hotel benefits plus the points plus the milestones pretty easily justify it in my mind.
So again my question how exactly do you value that? How much has Globalist saved you in resort fees, parking fees and breakfasts? (Putting aside the soft benefits like upgrades which are hit or miss and not even useful at some properties).

It is a no brainer if you can acheive Globalist on your normal stays and credit card spend, but people contemplating mattress runs need to consider the cost of the phantom stays v. the substantiated value of the benefits.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 10:21 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
the at hotel benefits plus the points plus the milestones pretty easily justify it in my mind.
Originally Posted by Boraxo
So again my question how exactly do you value that? How much has Globalist saved you in resort fees, parking fees and breakfasts? (Putting aside the soft benefits like upgrades which are hit or miss and not even useful at some properties).
Each person needs to decide that for themselves. I often travel with my wife and two kids, most Hyatt hotels will extend the breakfast benefit to my entire family, the breakfast benefits and lounge access have much more value to me than a solo traveler or a couple because of that. That breakfast benefit is easily worth $50 at about any full service Hyatt, sometimes closer to $100 at the nicer properties. If I needed to come up with 40 stays in a year with mattress runs or spend I don't want to put on my Chase card, that wouldn't be worth it. However, once you are looking at getting to 40 anyway, the milestone bonuses are what really can really tip the scales to make it worth it to push to 60, for the 20 stays between 40 and 60 you get 4 suite upgrades plus the Category 1-7 Night just from the milestones. The suite upgrades may be tricky to value, but when they work well, they have a lot of value. Category 1-7 free night is a bit easier to value, but that is still somewhat a personal decision.

Originally Posted by Boraxo
In a normal year I'd get about 10-15 from my regular travel so I'd still need some mattress nights.
If you're otherwise only staying 10-15 nights at Hyatt properties, it probably isn't worth it, no doubt.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 2:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The Guest of Honor benefit means some are less motivated to do mattress runs to get Globalist status themselves than would otherwise be the case. Being able to get the Globalist benefits on award stays without as much commitment to mattress runs is part of the consideration on if and when to mattress run or not.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 5:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I agree, I wouldn't do a ton of extra work on a mattress run, but I happen to have 16 nights booked between October and December anyway, so I had my concierge register me for a standard 20 stays in 90 night challenge to extend globalist. I'm going to test the no-show Vegas booking, given other reports and the fact that I only need to do a 1-night stay a few times, I feel good about my odds. If that doesn't work, I'll just extend some of my other hyatt trips a night here or there.
Boraxo and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 5:35 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by manu08
I agree, I wouldn't do a ton of extra work on a mattress run, but I happen to have 16 nights booked between October and December anyway, so I had my concierge register me for a standard 20 stays in 90 night challenge to extend globalist. ...
I was wondering if those would be offered again this year.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by js1993
I was wondering if those would be offered again this year.
I didn't see any offers myself (aside from some corporate ones that don't apply to me), I just asked my concierge and he magically found one 🤷‍♂️
js1993 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:23 pm

I have relatives in the Vegas area. Is it possible to add their names to an Excalibur reservation so that they can physically check in, but I'll still get Hyatt night credits?
Old Aug 10, 2022, 9:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by manu08
I didn't see any offers myself (aside from some corporate ones that don't apply to me), I just asked my concierge and he magically found one 🤷‍♂️
Yes, ask your concierge. Although, now when I add my upcoming stays booked for Sept & Oct to the stays I've already done, I'll be at 47 nights. I'd like to reach the Milestone Rewards since I'm close. I'll probably go for the challenge just in case I end up not wanting to be bothered with 13 MGM Vegas nights later in the year.

I too have relatives in Vegas who I can stay with on the weekends. I highly doubt the relatives could check in for you as additional occupants without you eventually needing to show up with your ID and credit card. With that said I've only stayed at higher priced MGM properties, not the two cheap ones.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
I am based in ORD but had been going to Vegas for the run, I booked 10 ten nights at a time but not staying all 10 nights, and after 2 runs back in April and May (I also spent my birthday there but pay more for Bellagio), then suddenly got all the comp nights at Excalibur and Luxor, so I practically pay almost nothing for lodging since I don't need to pay resort fee neither, by the end of this month, I would be at 55 nights total for this year
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
I am based in ORD but had been going to Vegas for the run, I booked 10 ten nights at a time but not staying all 10 nights, and after 2 runs back in April and May (I also spent my birthday there but pay more for Bellagio), then suddenly got all the comp nights at Excalibur and Luxor, so I practically pay almost nothing for lodging since I don't need to pay resort fee neither, by the end of this month, I would be at 55 nights total for this year
How long did it take to get the nights comp to hyatt after your stay?
Old Aug 12, 2022, 7:07 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Hi! There are not many Hyatt hotel in my area. I found some cheap Hyatt Place around the world which offer rooms for around 40 USD a night. If I use the mobile check-in through the app and also the mobile check-out, will I get the nights credited to my account? Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2022, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Enskie
Hi! There are not many Hyatt hotel in my area. I found some cheap Hyatt Place around the world which offer rooms for around 40 USD a night. If I use the mobile check-in through the app and also the mobile check-out, will I get the nights credited to my account? Thanks!
Which HPs go for $40/night?
Old Aug 12, 2022, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Enskie
Short answer is no.

Which HPs go for $40/night?
Look at Mexico or China or other traditionally low cost areas.. Search for availability for the country for dates you want, then sort the results low to high.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.