Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Mattress Run for Hyatt Globalist in 2022

Mattress Run for Hyatt Globalist in 2022

Old Nov 22, 20, 9:44 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: LAX
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, DL Diamond, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 1,192
Mattress Run for Hyatt Globalist in 2022

I am trying to understand this piece that was published by Forbes: https://www.forbes.com/sites/advisor...eks-heres-why/

Clearly, I have missed one of two important promotions announced by Hyatt, but is he is saying that staying for 30 consecutive nights this year and checking out between Jan 1 and Jan 4th, you get Globalist status for 2021 and 2022? I am more focused on 2022 as I already have the status for 2021.

Thanks!
jediwho is offline  
Old Nov 22, 20, 9:54 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: YYZ / NYC
Programs: AC E35K, DL GM, UA PS , Hyatt Glob., Marriott Gold. , Hilton Dia.
Posts: 67
Yup -
talked about here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...-journeys.html
the quick notes - your stay has to be consecutive and end after jan 1, but before jan 4.
homegrowned is offline  
Old Nov 23, 20, 6:31 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Minnesota
Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 750
Originally Posted by homegrowned View Post
Yup -
talked about here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...-journeys.html
the quick notes - your stay has to be consecutive and end after jan 1, but before jan 4.
I did not hit the 60 night requirement in 2020 to keep my Globalist status for next year but Hyatt, due to Covid, extended status for this year for all of 2021. I am only at 28 nights for 2020 and I don't see much advantage to actually achieving Globalist status in 2020. The only advantage to do this would be the Cat1-4 & Cat1-7 awards for 30 and 60 nights and then also a 5000 point award after 40 nights. That hardly makes it worth doing a mattress run to achieve Glob status for this year when Hyatt is already extending my status for 2021.

That said, I do see some benefit in a possible mattress run this December with a checkout date Jan 1-4 2021. Counting double nights and crediting them all to 2021 status would give me a big jumpstart on earning Glob status next year which would then provide Globalist benefits into 2022 and until Feb 2023. That might be worth it.
PortlySpartacus is offline  
Old Nov 23, 20, 12:29 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 23
What stops me from checking into a Hyatt, dropping some stuff off, then going back home only to return for the check out? The Forbes article lists a Mexico Hyatt for $1.2k, I'd pay that for Globalist.
PilotH is offline  
Old Nov 23, 20, 4:07 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Madison, WI
Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 806
Originally Posted by PilotH View Post
What stops me from checking into a Hyatt, dropping some stuff off, then going back home only to return for the check out? The Forbes article lists a Mexico Hyatt for $1.2k, I'd pay that for Globalist.
In the process of doing housekeeping and guest safety checks they may notice you have not been in the room. They can also pull keycard usage to verify. And at that point they could choose to manually check you out which would cause you to only get night credits for 1/2 2020 and 1/2 2021 instead of all 2021.
jameswes is offline  
Old Nov 23, 20, 4:08 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Madison, WI
Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 806
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus View Post
I did not hit the 60 night requirement in 2020 to keep my Globalist status for next year but Hyatt, due to Covid, extended status for this year for all of 2021. I am only at 28 nights for 2020 and I don't see much advantage to actually achieving Globalist status in 2020. The only advantage to do this would be the Cat1-4 & Cat1-7 awards for 30 and 60 nights and then also a 5000 point award after 40 nights. That hardly makes it worth doing a mattress run to achieve Glob status for this year when Hyatt is already extending my status for 2021.

That said, I do see some benefit in a possible mattress run this December with a checkout date Jan 1-4 2021. Counting double nights and crediting them all to 2021 status would give me a big jumpstart on earning Glob status next year which would then provide Globalist benefits into 2022 and until Feb 2023. That might be worth it.
Yup, that's the big trick. You don't have to do all 30 nights, you could do just 15 nights, get 30 qualifying nights for 2021 and be halfway there.
skywalkerLAX, lsquare and jediwho like this.
jameswes is offline  
Old Nov 23, 20, 5:07 pm
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 91,512
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus View Post
I did not hit the 60 night requirement in 2020 to keep my Globalist status for next year but Hyatt, due to Covid, extended status for this year for all of 2021. I am only at 28 nights for 2020 and I don't see much advantage to actually achieving Globalist status in 2020. The only advantage to do this would be the Cat1-4 & Cat1-7 awards for 30 and 60 nights and then also a 5000 point award after 40 nights. That hardly makes it worth doing a mattress run to achieve Glob status for this year when Hyatt is already extending my status for 2021.

That said, I do see some benefit in a possible mattress run this December with a checkout date Jan 1-4 2021. Counting double nights and crediting them all to 2021 status would give me a big jumpstart on earning Glob status next year which would then provide Globalist benefits into 2022 and until Feb 2023. That might be worth it.
Don't forget the tier suite upgrades.
lsquare and jediwho like this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Nov 23, 20, 6:24 pm
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 45,564
Originally Posted by PilotH View Post
What stops me from checking into a Hyatt, dropping some stuff off, then going back home only to return for the check out? The Forbes article lists a Mexico Hyatt for $1.2k, I'd pay that for Globalist.
That's a mattress run. Many of us have successfully pulled it off. It may not work for 30 consecutive nights. I'd do it in chunks of three to five. Or be explicit with the property about the fact that you will be in and out over the course of thirty nights, but may not be there every night.
Kacee is offline  
Old Nov 23, 20, 9:52 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 41
I'm confused. Since when did status achieved in 2021 extend for the entirety of 2022? Wouldn't status achieved in 2021 expire Feb of 2022 as it has every other year?
Daftryan is offline  
Old Nov 23, 20, 10:16 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 2,199
Originally Posted by Daftryan View Post
I'm confused. Since when did status achieved in 2021 extend for the entirety of 2022? Wouldn't status achieved in 2021 expire Feb of 2022 as it has every other year?
No change to the way it's always been. Suppose you routinely make 60 in December 2021. You wouldn't expect to drop from grace on March 1st and then have to wait until December for redemption.
JackE is offline  
Old Nov 23, 20, 10:26 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
You wouldn't expect to drop from grace on March 1st and then have to wait until December for redemption.
Uh, what?
Daftryan is offline  
Old Nov 23, 20, 10:49 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz 5 Star, United 1K
Posts: 561
Originally Posted by Daftryan View Post
I'm confused. Since when did status achieved in 2021 extend for the entirety of 2022? Wouldn't status achieved in 2021 expire Feb of 2022 as it has every other year?
That's the way it's always worked.

If you stay 60 nights in 2021, you have Globalist status through Feb 28 2023.
MSPeconomist and lsquare like this.

Last edited by itsallgood; Nov 24, 20 at 2:14 am Reason: Mixed up Hyatt and Hilton promos WRT double nights and rollover nights
itsallgood is offline  
Old Nov 23, 20, 10:52 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seat 2A
Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Posts: 10,450
Originally Posted by jameswes View Post
In the process of doing housekeeping and guest safety checks they may notice you have not been in the room. They can also pull keycard usage to verify. And at that point they could choose to manually check you out which would cause you to only get night credits for 1/2 2020 and 1/2 2021 instead of all 2021.
Unlikely they would do so without contacting the guest. And why would they forego revenue in these times? As long as the guest was physically there to check in and told the hotel that he might not use the room the entire time (Work from hotel during daytime) it should be fine.
skywalkerLAX is offline  
Old Nov 23, 20, 11:04 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,685
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX View Post
Unlikely they would do so without contacting the guest. And why would they forego revenue in these times? As long as the guest was physically there to check in and told the hotel that he might not use the room the entire time (Work from hotel during daytime) it should be fine.
My understanding is the hotel could either check the guest out mid stay or could charge them for the full stay then deny to give them points/EQN going as far as closing their WOH account.

Now youíd just have to factor the likelihood of either of those happening which could be 0.1%, 10%, 50% etc.

A lot of people have their own system for Mattress Runs, most recommending swiping in at least twice a week.

To each their own, for me personally I could never do a MR. Not because I feel like itís bending or going against the T&C, but because I just couldnít pay for a hotel and not stay in it, itís just strange to me. I completely understand the reasoning and it makes sense, just not for me to do. If I needed extra nights Iíd just book a stay overlapping New Years to get them all added, but Iíd actually stay.

I say go with what works for you personally.
lsquare likes this.
Matt4200 is offline  
Old Nov 24, 20, 12:56 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,856
Has anyone actually been checked out mid-stay? Do the T&C actually require you to physically stay in the hotel room at all times?
iluvdoco is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: