Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Auckland NZ REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Auckland NZ REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2022, 4:20 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by pichalite
First time staying in a Park Hyatt and at this location. Do PH not usually have a club lounge for Globalist? Not seeing this information in any of the reviews.
Very few Park Hyatts have lounges, in common with the vast majority of other luxury hotels (Ritz Carltons being the most famous exception).
Old Dec 9, 2022, 4:42 pm

Programs: WOH Globalist | IHG Platinum | HH Gold | MB Gold
So breakfast is the only tangible benefit at this location? (besides water, upgraded room, and late check-out)
Old Dec 9, 2022, 5:05 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
So breakfast is the only tangible benefit at this location? (besides water, upgraded room, and late check-out)
Standard Globalist benefits apply. There are few luxury hotels in AKL and the PH is definitely the best.
shillard likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The room upgrade could be great and PH breakfasts are usually great too. This is the best hotel in town by a country mile.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: WOH Globalist | IHG Platinum | HH Gold | MB Gold
Originally Posted by Aventine
The room upgrade could be great and PH breakfasts are usually great too. This is the best hotel in town by a country mile.
Got the Harbor view with a balcony. I cannot imagine what could be better with the suite. It was an amazing stay and confirm the best hotel in town, considering I stayed at the Cordis and Sofitel as well and also happen to walk by the location of other top-rated properties in town.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
Stayed here last week for one night. Was given a partial Harbor View Park King Balcony room as a Globalist.
Nice room and nice pation (except it was raining during my stay).
The toiletries are now from Appelles.
It is a beautiful building in a nice location.
Although service wise I was not impressed at all. I arrived early to drop my bag. I did not expect a room. But the front office person said she would be a rush on it and call me on my mobile when it was ready.
At 3pm (check in time) I headed back to the hotel. My key was off to the side. Never received a call.
When I asked where and when breakfast was served, the clerk said "Let me check if your rate includes breakfast." I had to remind her that I was a Globalisist.
I asked for a noon check out (which is plus 1 hour), she left me hanging for 2-3 minutes as she checked. It seemed to take forever for something that should have been automatic.
At breakfast, the host asked me for my coffee order and took it when I sat down. A few minutes later the waiter showed up and explained the globalist breakfast.
I ordered eggs benedict (was excellent), which arrived before my coffee. When I inquired I was told they make each to order and it takes 45 seconds. The restaurant was maybe 15% full,
Now they have an adjacent coffee bar -- which is where I suspect they get the coffee from -- but they clearly need more capacity. The staff and host seemed bothered that I had been there maybe 15 mins
before getting it. I kind of felt bad for bringing it up. All in all I expect a better level of service at a Park Hyatt, and when things go sideways to be handled better.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriot (via SPG) Lifetime Gold
I was there last week as well and this somewhat tracks my non-Globalist experience (including the rain). Great location and really nice (and comfortable/practical) rooms, but the service just seemed a bit off--both at the front desk and in Omerata. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again...
Old Jan 18, 2023, 11:11 pm

Stayed here over the holidays, and had a great experience. Like others mentioned, some of service (especially in the restaurants) was poor, but the room and location were fantastic, and would gladly go back (and just adjust our dining plans accordingly).
  • First major trip since the pandemic so no status with Hyatt.
  • Decided to use Chase UR points on splurging for the premium suite upgrade: $650NZD (~$410USD) per night + 9,000 points for the Harbour Suite. Redemption value of $0.042USD / pt, which seemed like a pretty good deal (though maybe I'm just used to the crazy prices of Hawaii / Bay Area).
Check-in
  • Check-in was pleasant. We arrived at around 2 PM after a fairly stressful experience at the airport with our bag not having been loaded onto our flight. Room wasn't ready, but the receptionist let us use the spa to change and freshen up.
  • After eating at the Living Room (more on that below), we checked back with the front desk and our room was ready. After going up and settling in (and marveling at the views from the room), we waited for our luggage. It took about 15 minutes, and then the bellman brought the wrong luggage up to our room. It took another 30 minutes for him to get the right luggage delivered to us. Kind of odd.
Room
  • The room was absolutely phenomenal. Super spacious, clean, and modern. Enjoyed the large walk-in closet. Spectacular views of the Auckland skyline and harbor, especially from the balcony. The 3D walkthrough on their website gives a great and accurate preview.
  • Note that these suites overlook Karanga Plaza and Wynyard Crossing, which can get a little noisy during the day, especially when kids are swimming in the steps or when the bridge chimes go off to let boats through.
  • For some reason, I could not get the Chromecast to work (although this seems to be a problem no matter where I stay that promises Chromecast support).
  • We found this to be a nice base for us in Auckland. Within walking distance of the sights / restaurants / shopping near the waterfront, but a bit removed, so not swarming with people. On a quiet street, which was nice for me to ease into driving on the right hand side of the street at the start of road trips.
Concierge
  • The concierge was super friendly and helpful, especially with advice around our baggage situation. Very knowledgeable about the area.
Restaurants
  • In general, the service was lacking for the restaurants. Seemed like they were short staffed.
  • Breakfast (Onemata): breakfast was included in our rate, which meant access to both the buffet as well as any single ala carte item we wanted to order off the menu. The buffet was sometimes not fully stocked, which frustrated some of the guests that got only the buffet. A la carte items were overall quite scrumptious and of high quality, but there were days where service was extremely slow (20-30 minute wait for the food), so if you're in a rush and the buffet is stocked, might want to think about going the buffet route. Note for Americans: if you order a black coffee in New Zealand, you'll likely get a long black, which may not be what you want.
  • Living Room: this is their casual restaurant where we had lunch and afternoon tea. Besides their foccacia bread (which was delicious), lunch was fairly disappointing. The Caesar salad seemed like store-bought quality and the service was slow. For afternoon tea, the food was great: really creative and delicious sweets and savory items. Unfortunately, again this was marred by extremely slow service. This was compounded by the fact that unlike traditional tea places, they break up the servings into 3 at a time instead of bringing out the dishes all at once on the fancy tea trays. We waited 45 minutes between the sweet and savory plates. They took two tea orders at the beginning but by the end had still only delivered one tea. We gave up and bailed at the end.
  • We actually never ended up eating dinner at the hotel, as we had other restaurants / cuisines we wanted to explore. Perhaps a good decision in hindsight given the service woes that I (and others above) experienced. There's no shortage of good restaurants in the area for dinner.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 1:50 pm

It's been a while, but I stayed here last July/August for approximately 30 days for work.

Service was generally fine. The front desk was generally extremely helpful (they helped coordinating delivery of delayed baggage with the airline), but many of the staff seem a bit inexperienced / slightly colder than most other Hyatt properties I've been to.

Globalist recognition was good. I was offered some suite upgrades, but given the sporadic availability I decided to stay in my harbor-facing king room on the top floor. The front desk sent over cookies every couple of days, which was a nice touch throughout the stay. Breakfast at Onemata was fantastic, with an excellent buffet spread and la carte options included for Globalists.

While I didn't particularly enjoy the lunch/dinner options at both Onemata and the Living Room, the views were fantastic. The Pantry (the on-property caf on the other side of the property, facing away from the harbor) was often extremely busy in the mornings. Being in Wynyard Quarter, the hotel was not directly in the center of Auckland, but rather in a nice, lively, and hip area approximately a 5-10 minute walk away from the CBD.

As mentioned by many above, the hard product was incredible. The rooms were large, modern, and extremely tasteful, with huge bathrooms, closets, and living areas. It was a lot larger than many of the junior suites you would find in other major cities, which is also why I never felt the need to request an upgrade. Moreover, the hotel atrium is stunning... walking along the corridors on the top floor felt like a special occasion every time. I'm generally a fan of atriums in general (HR Atlanta, Marriott Marquis Atlanta), but I think this one is likely the best I've ever seen - with maybe the sole exception of the GH Shanghai.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by jamesturing
I'm generally a fan of atriums in general (HR Atlanta, Marriott Marquis Atlanta), but I think this one is likely the best I've ever seen - with maybe the sole exception of the GH Shanghai.
Exactly for the same reason...that is why Grand Hyatt Shanghai is still my favorite hotel, after all these years.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 4:31 pm

The GH Shanghai is one of my favorites too. Although the PH Auckland's atrium doesn't have the same sheer scale as the GH Shanghai, I actually much prefer the design - its minimalistic, very Kiwi, and very classy without being ostentatious like some other properties in Asia and the Middle East.
minz56 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 4:59 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Park Hyatt Auckland = Finally A Proper Luxury Hotel in the City

Park Hyatt Auckland

1 Review | 100% Recommended

Park Hyatt Auckland

99 Halsey Street Auckland, NZ 1010

Park Hyatt Auckland = Finally A Proper Luxury Hotel in the City (24 Photos)

Park Hyatt Auckland

Last time we stayed in Auckland there was no Hyatt in the city but this time we had to try the new and shiny Park Hyatt.  Overall I found the hotel to be on point with the Park Hyatt brand except perhaps a couple of minor issues which would not prevent me from returning and I can recommend it. 

1_IMG_8059.jpeg

IMG_8093.jpeg

Room

I booked a room a very long time ago and burned a Globalist suite upgrade; thankfully I did because the hotel was 100% full during our stay.  I liked the residential style of the room with windows on two sides of the corner suite, and interestingly we had a large balcony with mosquito screens so we could leave the patio doors open without worry about flies or birds coming in and it genuinely felt like an extension of the room unlike the vast majority of city hotels with a balcony where it does not feel like somewhere I want to sit.  Alternatively we could also slide the screens to have a non-obstructed view of the marina.  

If I had to find a couple of mild negatives about the room it would be that surprisingly the power plugs were not international style – they were 100% New Zealand, which was a bit surprising for such a new hotel.  I always carry adapters with me but not for NZ; thankfully the hotel could lend us a couple during our stay.  Also the bathroom toiletries were not Le Labo which was disappointing.  Instead they had some brand from Australia which I had not seen before. 

1_IMG_8062.jpeg1_IMG_8063.jpeg1_IMG_8064.jpeg1_IMG_8065.jpegIMG_8066.jpeg1_IMG_8067.jpeg1_IMG_8068.jpeg1_IMG_8069.jpegIMG_8072.jpegIMG_8074.jpeg1_IMG_8060.jpeg1_IMG_8061.jpeg

Dining

Breakfast was a mix of a la carte and buffet and as the Globalist benefit we could choose one main dish to go along with the buffet.  The food was quite good quality and on par with other PHs where we stayed before. 

1_IMG_8056.jpeg1_IMG_8057.jpeg1_IMG_8058.jpegIMG_8092.jpeg2_IMG_8118.jpeg2_IMG_8119.jpeg2_IMG_8120.jpeg2_IMG_8121.jpeg2_IMG_8122.jpeg

Service

Service was very good – my Concierge was aware that it was planned to be our daughter’s 7th and final region of the world where she would stay in a PH hotel (North America, South America, Asia, Europe, Middle East, Africa, Oceania) because she occasionally asks me for new pictures of our daughter during our Hyatt hotel stays.  The hotel prepared a lovely picture frame for her accomplishment of covering a PH in every region.  Generally speaking, staff were noticeably friendly with laid back New Zealand hospitality.  Staff in the restaurant were good as well with polished service.  They also offered a daily amenity brought to the room for example this chocolate bar on one of the days of our stay.

1_IMG_8123.jpeg

The lone black mark about service was housekeeping – they might not have enough staff considering the size of the hotel which is not that small for a PH brand property, and even worse when the hotel is full.  On one morning I called reception to ask for our room to be cleaned while we were having breakfast but when we came back the room was not done.  Before we stepped out of the hotel late morning I asked at reception again for housekeeping, but when we came back it still was not done.  After our daughter’s nap we went out again and I asked for housekeeping again.  After our walk, the room was still not done.  By then it was too late and we needed the room so I asked for towels.  The hotel brought a note with apology, a bottle of wine, and a dessert to make up for it, and the room was cleaned the next morning during our breakfast. 

Wifi

Wifi worked well but speed could have been better at 12 Mbps.

Overall

Overall this property is a great addition to the Auckland hotel landscape and it’s nice to now have a Hyatt option in the city.  The hotel feels very much like a Park Hyatt which was well designed and I can highly recommend it. 

Park Hyatt Auckland = Finally A Proper Luxury Hotel in the City

Would you like to write a review on the Park Hyatt Auckland?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Feb 26, 2023, 12:37 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by escape4
... After our walk, the room was still not done. By then it was too late and we needed the room so I asked for towels ...
Out of curiosity, may I ask why you needed fresh towels?
Old May 6, 2023, 7:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Wrapping up a two night stay, out of five nights total (3+2) here over the past two weeks. If you love GH SFO, you'll really love PH AKL, same Asian aesthetic, just more of it in a truly spectacular setting. Me love big time.

I made a cash booking for a Harbor Suite and upon asking at check-in was advised that even though the very next level suite showed as available, it was not for me because there was not a Globalist upgrade path from that Suite that I booked for cash. Waste of time to fight that battle at that moment, so proceeded forward. There are some other details that I am leaving out supporting why I was actually furious. The GM who was out of office for a couple days returned, and we had a two-way honest discussion of things (he validated the basis of my concern). The conclusion was an exceptional gesture from the GM, for which I am eternally grateful. GM Mr. Brett Sweetman is a long-time Hyatt fellow (came over from PH MEL) and he totally understands what makes many of us gaga over the WOH program and benefits. I spend $50k a year specifically at Hyatt for leisure stays for a reason (the bennies).

With that caveat out of the way, all else was smooth sailing and blue skies. It's a hell of a place.

Onemata for dinner is excellent, breakfast very very good. They are still trying to get staffed hired and trained, so YMMV however our experience was good. Housekeeping was great, as were the guys assisting guests in the garage upon arrival/departure. if you have been traveling in the past 18 months you know staffing is a massive challenge around the world right now, huge problem.

For those of us who enjoy the Hyatt World Tour, this one is a must-do. If you otherwise don't care for Auckland, just make the easy hop over from SYD, MEL or BNE.

Say hello to Beau while you're here!

Last edited by LoungeLizardHugo; May 7, 2023 at 6:35 pm
Old May 6, 2023, 8:49 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
Wrapping up a two night stay, out of five nights total (3+2) here over the past two weeks. If you love GH SFO, you'll really love PH AKL, same Asian aesthetic, just more of it in a truly spectacular setting. Me love big time.

I made a cash booking for a Harbor Suite and upon asking at check-in was advised that even though the very next level suite showed as available, it was not for me because there was not a Globalist upgrade path from that Suite that I booked for cash. Waste of time to fight that battle at that moment, so proceeded forward. There are some other details that I am leaving out supporting why I was actually furious. The GM who was out of office for a couple days returned, and we had a two-way honest discussion of things. The conclusion was an exceptional gesture from the GM, for which I am eternally grateful. GM Mr. Brett Sweetman is a long-time Hyatt fellow (came over from PH MEL) and he totally understands what makes many of us gaga over the WOH program and benefits. I spend $50k a year specifically at Hyatt for leisure stays for a reason (the bennies).

With that caveat out of the way, all else was smooth sailing and blue skies. It's a hell of a place.

Onemata for dinner is excellent, breakfast very very good. They are still trying to get staffed hired and trained, so YMMV however our experience was good. Housekeeping was great, as were the guys assisting guests in the garage upon arrival/departure. if you have been traveling in the past 18 months you know staffing is a massive challenge around the world right now, huge problem.

For those of us who enjoy the Hyatt World Tour, this one is a must-do. If you otherwise don't care for Auckland, just make the easy hop over from SYD, MEL or BNE.

Say hello to Beau while you're here!
So short sighted when they decide a reservation of one of the highest suites shouldn't be upgraded. For 3 or 2 nights, it's doubtful the higher suite would have sold. 5 nights consecutively, I can understand, but the program is supposed to work without silly hotel level exceptions to the rules. It's just bad for business for top spenders.

FWIW, I mainly stay in high end rooms at PHs and it's the good GMs that understand looking after your most loyal members who pay cash is good for business!

I had a terrible stay at the PHM over an upgrade issue too, yet to write the review.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.