Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur Houseour award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
Coast Ridge Hike
Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

Foragers Hike
Redwood Hike
Sur House Social
S'mores
Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2020, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by liondragonx5y
I think people are cutting a lot of slack for it being coronavirus, and also the fact that with the promotions, you are spending ~$400-700 of points (standard room or suite at .018 cents a point) instead of paying $2000+ cash. However, as I mentioned in my own review, these types of service mishaps should not be happening at a 5 star hotel period, and especially not when its $2000 a night. If Im spending $2000 a night, I dont just expect flawless, I expect them going above and beyond. Frankly, the level of service I got at some Hyatt Places have been better. While maybe it is coronavirus and new staff, they will need to fix it really quickly if they want to sustain these prices and keep repeat customers. People wont give this much slack when Coronavirus starts to go away and tourism picks back up.

Comparing to other options in the same location, Post Ranch across the street is half the price on some nights, and while it doesnt include food, food doesnt cost $1000 for a couple.
That was exactly my thought, I didnt complain to them during my stay. Mostly due to the fact that they just reopened literally two days before our stay. So I thought there must be just some miscommunications. But upon seeing many people having the same experiences, its just not expectable. If you cant keep the services up to the standard, tell that to the guests beforehand or just dont reopen at all.
For the price value, you are absolutely right. I rather spend my money at Post Ranch Inn
Old Aug 17, 2020, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by doenutt
That was exactly my thought, I didnt complain to them during my stay. Mostly due to the fact that they just reopened literally two days before our stay. So I thought there must be just some miscommunications. But upon seeing many people having the same experiences, its just not expectable. If you cant keep the services up to the standard, tell that to the guests beforehand or just dont reopen at all.
For the price value, you are absolutely right. I rather spend my money at Post Ranch Inn
If you look back at Tripadvisor reviews, youll see service issues before the reopening. The reason Hyatt sent some of their better managers here for the relaunch temporarily was because of how good this hotel could do during Covid, and hopefully to raise the standard at the hotel so that it is sustainable. Its clear the managers are strong, but their lower staff are not trained well at all. Part of this is they had to scramble to hire enough employees. One of the managers told me that a lot of their better employees didnt come back yet as they, up until July 31, were making more at home on unemployment than working. Im not sure if that has changed at all yet, since I stayed when it opened, but from the reviews Im reading, it doesnt sound like much has changed.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by liondragonx5y
If you look back at Tripadvisor reviews, youll see service issues before the reopening. The reason Hyatt sent some of their better managers here for the relaunch temporarily was because of how good this hotel could do during Covid, and hopefully to raise the standard at the hotel so that it is sustainable. Its clear the managers are strong, but their lower staff are not trained well at all. Part of this is they had to scramble to hire enough employees. One of the managers told me that a lot of their better employees didnt come back yet as they, up until July 31, were making more at home on unemployment than working. Im not sure if that has changed at all yet, since I stayed when it opened, but from the reviews Im reading, it doesnt sound like much has changed.
went to TA to look at some reviews. The recent 1-star review is hilarious. Definitely a DYKWIA. Looking at his other reviews, it appears to be either 1-star or 5-stars. There was even one on the Hilton Queenstown but the review rambled on immigration and Australia.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 7:25 am

Have a stay coming up Monday next week.. couple questions:
- Are there any activities worth booking in advance?
- I haven't received any questionnaire that another FTer mentioned up thread. Is it worth reaching out and asking for it?
- Any vegetarian stay at this property? We are staying 4 nights, with the limited menu I'm assuming we will have to go to restaurants outside of the resort. Are they flexible / can the chef prepare different meals?
- Any suggestions for the local area ?
Old Aug 18, 2020, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by mikewhyatt
Have a stay coming up Monday next week.. couple questions:
- Are there any activities worth booking in advance?
- I haven't received any questionnaire that another FTer mentioned up thread. Is it worth reaching out and asking for it?
- Any vegetarian stay at this property? We are staying 4 nights, with the limited menu I'm assuming we will have to go to restaurants outside of the resort. Are they flexible / can the chef prepare different meals?
- Any suggestions for the local area ?
1) Nothing is really worth booking in advance, except the picnic lunch if you want to do that.

2) Its worth reaching out so you can book reservations for dining.

3) There are vegetarian options throughout the menu. The menu is not large, so if you are looking to try something new every day and are vegetarian, you will get bored on 4 nights.

4) Go hiking, thats pretty much what this area is about.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 7:40 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Today's forecast shows a peak temperature of 101 degrees F. That must be some kind of record. Hiking would not be much fun today. A hot tub would be redundant.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by nsx
Today's forecast shows a peak temperature of 101 degrees F. That must be some kind of record. Hiking would not be much fun today. A hot tub would be redundant.
I am here now, and the sky is brown and the air is extremely smoky (presumably from the Salinas River Fire that started a couple of days ago). A day to stay in and enjoy the beautiful room - very unhealthy air quality.
(By the way, for what its worth, we have found the service to be uniformly excellent.)
nsx and mikewhyatt like this.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Dancingoctopus
I am here now, and the sky is brown and the air is extremely smoky (presumably from the Salinas River Fire that started a couple of days ago). A day to stay in and enjoy the beautiful room - very unhealthy air quality.
(By the way, for what its worth, we have found the service to be uniformly excellent.)
Good to know.. seems like low wind conditions is whats causing the extreme heat wave as well. Probably why the smoke is lingering. Hope things clear up next couple days! What type of room are you in?
Old Aug 18, 2020, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mikewhyatt
Good to know.. seems like low wind conditions is whats causing the extreme heat wave as well.
The high pressure is causing the heat.
dsquared37 and mikewhyatt like this.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Kacee
The high pressure is causing the heat.
Indeed,

This has been unusual weather for the area for mid-August since Friday but, until the high moves, the marine layer will remain offshore. The lightning on Sunday and Monday is causing additional problems obviously.

I started my Monday hike at 730am with a temperature of 79F. Normally at this trailhead it's 47-60F.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 10:55 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Just what this scenic area needs: a third fire started today, this one to the south, near Esalen and 2 miles inland: https://twitter.com/hashtag/DolanFire
Old Aug 18, 2020, 11:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
At the risk of going way OT, the whole state is on fire. Here in the bay, we have fires burning to north, east, and south. West is the Pacific so that's probably safe.

It's probably time to reassess the traditional advice that September/October are the best months to visit the California coast.
nsx and dsquared37 like this.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Dancingoctopus
Here now as well for three nights.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Kacee
At the risk of going way OT, the whole state is on fire. Here in the bay, we have fires burning to north, east, and south. West is the Pacific so that's probably safe.

It's probably time to reassess the traditional advice that September/October are the best months to visit the California coast.
We could be in for a brutal stretch until the rains come. The last two days of lightning are taking a toll already.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 5:42 am

Can anyone comment on if we should cancel our reservation for next week? Flying in from the east coast, I don't mind isolating to the property and hiking the surrounding areas. But the Esalen fire seems really close and I imagine the air quality will be impacted for the next week?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.