Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2024, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
I would use a GOH here for even a chance of a small upgrade (e.g. fireplace) because I have nothing better to use them on.
nsx likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 11:12 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
From the hotel’s website today:

ALILA VENTANA BIG SUR HAS TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED OPERATIONS THROUGH MAY 26TH, 2024 DUE TO A ROAD CLOSURE ON HIGHWAY 1.

PLEASE CALL OUR RESERVATIONS DEPARTMENT AT 1-800-628-6500 FOR FURTHER ASSISTANCE.

Old Apr 16, 2024, 6:40 pm

I am a globalist right now and have 2 different reservations

1. January big sur suite (used a suite upgrades award)
2. August standard king room

Is the stay in the summer time that much better compared to winter? Having a suite is always such a nice perk but is it that much different compared to a standard room

What would people choose?
Old Apr 16, 2024, 6:54 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by tkcdao

Is the stay in the summer time that much better compared to winter? Having a suite is always such a nice perk but is it that much different compared to a standard room

August. No brainer.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 1:55 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by nsx
August. No brainer.
There are still question marks around it being open in August. Whether or not it can open with just 1 lane of traffic etc?
Old Apr 17, 2024, 5:20 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
There are still question marks around it being open in August. Whether or not it can open with just 1 lane of traffic etc?
Short sections of Highway 1 have been single lane for years. That's no problem.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 9:49 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by nsx
Short sections of Highway 1 have been single lane for years. That's no problem.
Yeah that section of Big Sur gets very heavily traffic especially during summer months, it's already bumper to bumper during summer weekends without single lane restrictions. And if they plan to do extensive roadwork managing traffic becomes a huge headache, so suspecting there will be extended shutdowns of the read which causes headaches for getting catering and employees on site. I don't want to paint too bleak a picture but probably prudent to have backup options for a few months.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by nsx
From the hotel’s website today:
To interpret the Caltrans statement that the repairs will be finished by Memorial Day as an precise opening date on that holiday Monday (May 27th) is a stretch. I would expect if at all within this time frame, the repairs will be completed in the week before the holiday so the road should be open for the long weekend.

I hope Ventana revises their "suspension" date once a more accurate status of the repair completion exist. Not only for the sake of their own business but also their guests who are looking forward to their planned stays.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by nsx
August. No brainer.
Thank you for the input. I'll just have to hope for good globalist treatment to get a suite but of course won't hold my breath and just enjoy the property

Hopefully it's not too chaotic and they can get both lanes open
Old Apr 18, 2024, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by IntTraveller
To interpret the Caltrans statement that the repairs will be finished by Memorial Day as an precise opening date on that holiday Monday (May 27th) is a stretch. I would expect if at all within this time frame, the repairs will be completed in the week before the holiday so the road should be open for the long weekend.

I hope Ventana revises their "suspension" date once a more accurate status of the repair completion exist. Not only for the sake of their own business but also their guests who are looking forward to their planned stays.
if anything, Caltrans should keep it closed that weekend to preserve the road. It’s best long term
Old Apr 18, 2024, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by IntTraveller

I don't know how else they would interpret it given they have to make plans for their staff and supplies etc. I'm sure they will open as soon as they're able to, but in terms of accepting new bookings and letting people know what's going on that's really the best they can do for now. I have a booking for Memorial Day weekend but am expecting that to be cancelled (it hasn't been so far).

Originally Posted by tkcdao

One of my favorite things about Ventana is sitting outside for drinks and dinner, so summer is better than January for that. I do prefer the standard suites to the regular rooms though (much bigger, especially the bathroom, and more space to sit outside on your own balcony/deck) and think it's worth upgrading to that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.