Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt 100$ Gift Card In Mail thanking me for my loyalty

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt 100$ Gift Card In Mail thanking me for my loyalty

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami

LOL.

I don’t recall complaining to Hyatt once in the past decade.
I mentioned several other considerations. One thing that's notable about Hyatt is their willingness to "fire" customers. We saw them fire (likely) thousands when they switched from Gold Passport to WOH... the fact that they do this AND have never done better financially is interesting, at least to me.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
I mentioned several other considerations. One thing that's notable about Hyatt is their willingness to "fire" customers. We saw them fire (likely) thousands when they switched from Gold Passport to WOH... the fact that they do this AND have never done better financially is interesting, at least to me.
Hyatt didn't "fire" anyone with the increased requirements of WoH, and there's no chance that these $100 gift cards are being sent out or not sent out because any particular person isn't throwing enough corporate business at Hyatt or is transferring too many points from Chase.
SethLevy likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Hyatt didn't "fire" anyone with the increased requirements of WoH, and there's no chance that these $100 gift cards are being sent out or not sent out because any particular person isn't throwing enough corporate business at Hyatt or is transferring too many points from Chase.
Fully agree with you! I don't know Hyatt's precise logic around who they sent these gift cards too - or the holiday gift - I received both and note that I have 60 nights this year, about 30 through the credit card program spend. I had much 'ess than 100 nights last year, I do not send any corporate business to Hyatt, I do not buy points through chase and I complain a lot about poor service, which has resulted in significant compensation being offered by Hyatt and the various hotels as service recovery efforts.

What I know for sure is that any service company does not "fire" customers or actively take steps to encourage them to take their business elsewhere. That would not be smart business.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Well, hotels and airlines do fire customers, but they don't do it in passive-aggressive ways, such as hoping a person will find out they didn't get a $100 gift card in the mail.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by SethLevy
Fully agree with you! I don't know Hyatt's precise logic around who they sent these gift cards too - or the holiday gift - I received both and note that I have 60 nights this year, about 30 through the credit card program spend. I had much 'ess than 100 nights last year, I do not send any corporate business to Hyatt, I do not buy points through chase and I complain a lot about poor service, which has resulted in significant compensation being offered by Hyatt and the various hotels as service recovery efforts.

What I know for sure is that any service company does not "fire" customers or actively take steps to encourage them to take their business elsewhere. That would not be smart business.
Yes, companies fire customers all the time. My company does it. There are customers that are simply too much trouble, cause too much stress to satisfy, take up too much time, and even though they might be profitable, you just don't want to deal with them anymore OR when it comes down to it, they really aren't all that profitable because of all the hassles they cause/compensation they expect, etc. If a customer causes your staff so much stress that good staff quit, you'd rather fire the customer and keep your good staff.

As for Hyatt - they recently fired thousands of customers. When they went from 25 stays to 60 nights in order to be a Globalist, they fully knew that thousands of their previous "Diamond" customers would be a) pissed that they would no longer get suite upgrades, free breakfasts, etc. and b) take their business elsewhere. You really think this wasn't on purpose AND expected? Of course it was. The bet was that this would actually be a good business decision in the long run and Hyatt financials indicate it probably was... but make no mistake, Hyatt execs fully knew that a large chunk of the Diamonds were going to migrate away, and decided to do it anyway. In a beginning I think they lost more than they anticipated, but even with some modifications to the program, they still have far fewer Globalists than they had Diamonds (ask any Hyatt manager to confirm). It may NOT have been a "your fired" but the effect was the same.

Back to the topic at hand - do I think they are trying to fire the people who got neither the xmas gift NOR the giftcard? Not necessarily, but I do think it's an indication of who is more valued and who, frankly, isn't. How else can you interpret such things? For example, if you spend most of your $$ on low-end HP's and HH's rather than higher margin HR, PH's, Andaz, etc... then it's probably less likely that they are going to send you gift cards.

Last edited by txhyattlvr; Jul 30, 2019 at 3:55 pm
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Good grief. Hyatt increased the WoH thresholds because occupancy rates have been through the roof for a decade and because devaluations elsewhere had made GP way more generous than the competitors’ programs. It was not, in any way, shape, or form, an effort to “fire” customers who “only” stayed 25 nights per year with Hyatt.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Good grief. Hyatt increased the WoH thresholds because occupancy rates have been through the roof for a decade and because devaluations elsewhere had made GP way more generous than the competitors’ programs. It was not, in any way, shape, or form, an effort to “fire” customers who “only” stayed 25 nights per year with Hyatt.
Agreed!
Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Imagine my surprise when I found a letter from Amy Weinberg sitting in my office mailroom today. So 100 nights was not a hard cutoff.

As a data point, about half my 96 nights were Mlife nights too. So if the selection criteria for this gift looked at nights at all, it probably didn't distinguish Mlife nights.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL Gold, B6 Mosaic, WoH Explorist, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, CET 7*, MLIFE Plat, Cosmo Gold
Originally Posted by gengar
Imagine my surprise when I found a letter from Amy Weinberg sitting in my office mailroom today. So 100 nights was not a hard cutoff.

As a data point, about half my 96 nights were Mlife nights too. So if the selection criteria for this gift looked at nights at all, it probably didn't distinguish Mlife nights.
Out of curiosity, out of the MLIFE nights that posted, how many were comped?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by easy_money
Out of curiosity, out of the MLIFE nights that posted, how many were comped?
I've never had a comped Mlife stay give me night credit, but none of my Mlife stays last year were comped (intentionally, so that I would get WoH base points for all my spend during those stays).
skywalkerLAX and easy_money like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ronbo83

I received a digital gift card through an almost instant email after selecting that option after 40 nights and this one came as a physical card with same note as OP.
Same for me, email within a few minutes.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:43 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Got unsolicited card with GC. At 52 nights this year already took 10k points when I passed milestone. Think this is just a random extra.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Same for me, email within a few minutes.
Did it give you some indicator if this gift card can be used on corporate rate stays?

Considering to take either the 5k or $100. I have a stay at HR Vancouver coming up where I'd like to apply the gc to.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: United-1K, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
Man I stayed 100 nights at both Hyatt and Marriott last year and didn't get either gift card. Ah well.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Did it give you some indicator if this gift card can be used on corporate rate stays?

Considering to take either the 5k or $100. I have a stay at HR Vancouver coming up where I'd like to apply the gc to.
No limitations, basically $100 Hyatt bucks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.