Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Considering mattress run for Globalist-lite: opinions?

Considering mattress run for Globalist-lite: opinions?

Old Aug 7, 19, 5:23 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: LAX/KUL
Programs: AA EXP, UA PLT
Posts: 2,108
Considering mattress run for Globalist-lite: opinions?

Hi all, relatively new comer in these parts of FT. I am currently on a 90-day status challenge courtesy of my AA EXP status. The plan all along was to hit 10 nights, qualify for Explorist through Feb 2021, and be done with that.

I now find myself with a month to go in the challenge and at 13 nights booked during the challenge period. I can finish off the remaining 7 nights to get Globalist-lite, which as I understand does not come with the TSUs or the concierge, for about $500 all-in at a HP in the PHX area (or something similar), and I wanted to see what others think about this "investment".

I normally stay 20-25 nights a year in Hyatts, and could probably make 30 year-over-year for permanent Explorist and the Cat 1-4 cert. I'd say a hair over half of those nights are at HRs, GHs, and the like in major cities, where there is likely to be a lounge or meaningful breakfast benefit that I could use as a Globalist, as welk as a bogus resort/destination fee that would get waived. Of course, the lack of TSUs is a bummer, but I mostly travel alone (for work or pleasure), and while suites are nice, they are not the be-all-end-all. I guess the one thing I can't pinpoint a value for is the space-available suite upgrades.

If I do make the push during my challenge period, I will also likely hit 30 nights overall this year, earning me the Cat 1-4 cert.

Any thoughts, one way or another, would be most appreciated!
dkc192 is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 7:37 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Roanoke, VA
Programs: IHG Spire / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA Platinum
Posts: 73
I personally love Globalist benefits and feel Hyatt offers the best consistency for their top tier vs others. However with that being said, consider what it will "cost" you.

I.E, will you not make a status at another chain that you frequent more often? Is the $500 spend just to make Globalist for 1 year, if so will you get $500 worth of perks in return?

If it was me, I wouldn't do a mattress run, if I thought I couldn't keep it, but we all have different goals.

Have you considered the Hyatt Credit card? You'll get Explorist, plus an accelerated path( 5 night credit, more with CC spend) towards Globalist.

That's my 2 cents
jtc246 is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 7:52 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: LAX/KUL
Programs: AA EXP, UA PLT
Posts: 2,108
Good points. Hyatt is by far the chain I stay with most. I just don't travel that much--most of my stays are for personal/leisure reasons rather than business. So this would be a one-and-done thing as far as Globalist goes--get some perks at some of the chain's nicer hotels--with a possibility of keeping Explorist in the long term through organic stays, barring a significant change in my work travel patterns.

I have the old Hyatt credit card and have been considering cancelling and applying for the new WoH card. Since I normally stay 20-25 nights a year, the extra elite nights would help push me up to 30 for Explorist and a Cat 1-4 cert. But for now the main decision is whether to go for Globalist-lite next year.
dkc192 is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 8:37 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: LAX
Posts: 88
$500 - value of Cat 1-4 Cert for Globalist benefits over 20+ nights seems like a winner to me.
CodeAdam10 and drewp123 like this.
FlyingChuck is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 10:19 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Miami, Florida
Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire
Posts: 3,390
How many nights have you stayed at Hyatt this year? At which Hyatt brands do you normally stay?

Globalist is great, but I'm not sure I'd spend $500 on a mattress run for Globalist Lite unless I had a very good idea where I'd be staying in the year ahead.
joe_miami is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 10:32 pm
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 83,690
Instead of doing the cheap mattress run, can you instead perhaps spend a bit more and spend some nights someplace fun? Maybe a city staycation at some aspirational property for a good weekend rate? Or even travel for a quick vacation someplace cheap? My instinct would be to think in these terms before considering the MR from a purely financial perspective, although if the hotels are close to home, you could use them for pool and health club access during your "stay."
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 10:44 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: LAX/KUL
Programs: AA EXP, UA PLT
Posts: 2,108
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
How many nights have you stayed at Hyatt this year? At which Hyatt brands do you normally stay?

Globalist is great, but I'm not sure I'd spend $500 on a mattress run for Globalist Lite unless I had a very good idea where I'd be staying in the year ahead.
I will end this year with about 25 nights, not counting the 7 I would stay to make Globalist-lite. About 18 of those nights have been/will be at HRs or above, places where I'd get meaningful Globalist benefits (breakfast, lounge, waived resort/destination fee, etc.) and maybe a suite upgrade.

If I do qualify for Globalist next month, I have a four-night stay at the GH in MEL in November that is confirmed. Will be shooting to stay at one of the Hyatts in Paris next spring (also four nights), but apart from these, nothing set in stone.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Instead of doing the cheap mattress run, can you instead perhaps spend a bit more and spend some nights someplace fun? Maybe a city staycation at some aspirational property for a good weekend rate? Or even travel for a quick vacation someplace cheap? My instinct would be to think in these terms before considering the MR from a purely financial perspective, although if the hotels are close to home, you could use them for pool and health club access during your "stay."
Unfortunately I don't have enough time for a 7-night vacation between work and all the travel I already have planned for the next month. I like how you think though!
dkc192 is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 10:50 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Miami, Florida
Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire
Posts: 3,390
Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
I will end this year with about 25 nights, not counting the 7 I would stay to make Globalist-lite. About 18 of those nights have been/will be at HRs or above, places where I'd get meaningful Globalist benefits (breakfast, lounge, waived resort/destination fee, etc.) and maybe a suite upgrade.

If I do qualify for Globalist next month, I have a four-night stay at the GH in MEL in November that is confirmed. Will be shooting to stay at one of the Hyatts in Paris next spring (also four nights), but apart from these, nothing set in stone.
In that case, the mattress run could be worth it for you.

Unfortunately I don't have enough time for a 7-night vacation between work and all the travel I already have planned for the next month. I like how you think though!
Not sure if it's still ongoing or if it stacks with the challenge, but I believe Andaz properties were offering double night credits as part of a promotion, so three nights at an Andaz could get you six qualifying nights.
joe_miami is offline  
Old Aug 8, 19, 2:03 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 7,191
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post



Not sure if it's still ongoing or if it stacks with the challenge, but I believe Andaz properties were offering double night credits as part of a promotion, so three nights at an Andaz could get you six qualifying nights.
No. Andaz was last summer. This year it's the all-inclusives in the Caribbean. Doubtful whether they will stack with a fast-track challenge though...
craigthemif is offline  
Old Aug 8, 19, 2:56 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Miami, Florida
Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire
Posts: 3,390
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
No. Andaz was last summer. This year it's the all-inclusives in the Caribbean. Doubtful whether they will stack with a fast-track challenge though...
Thanks. I just ran across the Andaz promo within the past week but it must have been a very old post. I knew there was a double-nights promo going on somewhere.
joe_miami is offline  
Old Aug 8, 19, 3:55 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: LAX/KUL
Programs: AA EXP, UA PLT
Posts: 2,108
FWIW Gary/View From The Wing seems to have gotten confirmation from WoH that the double elite nights at Ziva/Zilara properties do count for the challenge/fast track.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...-as-10-nights/

I’ve confirmed with Hyatt that this double elite qualifying night offer counts towards the fast track offer. Hyatt tells me,

The double nights under the Hyatt Ziva/ Hyatt Zilara promo are considered qualifying nights in the program, therefore would count toward achieving tier status for the American Airlines Explorist and Globalist status challenges.
dkc192 is offline  
Old Aug 8, 19, 7:11 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bangkok and Palm Coast, FL. Exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Posts: 4,533
Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
Hi all, relatively new comer in these parts of FT. I am currently on a 90-day status challenge courtesy of my AA EXP status. The plan all along was to hit 10 nights, qualify for Explorist through Feb 2021, and be done with that.

I now find myself with a month to go in the challenge and at 13 nights booked during the challenge period. I can finish off the remaining 7 nights to get Globalist-lite, which as I understand does not come with the TSUs or the concierge, for about $500 all-in at a HP in the PHX area (or something similar), and I wanted to see what others think about this "investment".

I normally stay 20-25 nights a year in Hyatts, and could probably make 30 year-over-year for permanent Explorist and the Cat 1-4 cert. I'd say a hair over half of those nights are at HRs, GHs, and the like in major cities, where there is likely to be a lounge or meaningful breakfast benefit that I could use as a Globalist, as welk as a bogus resort/destination fee that would get waived. Of course, the lack of TSUs is a bummer, but I mostly travel alone (for work or pleasure), and while suites are nice, they are not the be-all-end-all. I guess the one thing I can't pinpoint a value for is the space-available suite upgrades.

If I do make the push during my challenge period, I will also likely hit 30 nights overall this year, earning me the Cat 1-4 cert.

Any thoughts, one way or another, would be most appreciated!
Well, it used to be much easier as you could check-in online and "no show" your way to FFN's and elite status. It's so difficult when you actually have to go someplace just for the elite credit.I was toying with something similar, HP Phuket has a "long-term" stay rate this off season of US$35 per night, so about $1000 for the 20 nts for G-Lite, or the HP Hainan for a little more. Nah, not worth doing. Depends on what you like.

And, I don't think MSPEconomist was suggesting you do a 7 night staycation all at once. Possible to break that up into a few weekends.
rbAA is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 11:00 am
  #13  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 83,690
Right. I was thinking of doing a few fun weekends and not necessarily in one's home city. From LAX, Palm Springs, San Diego, and generally the California coast would be easy drives. Vegas is close but weekend traffic there can be terrible. Wine country would be fun too, but that's probably too far for even a long weekend. Using AA flights, one has PHX (Scottsdale etc.), Austen or San Antonio, Chicago, St Louis, etc.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Aug 10, 19, 8:26 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicagoland, IL, USA
Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 13,292
Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
I can finish off the remaining 7 nights to get Globalist-lite, which as I understand does not come with the TSUs or the concierge, for about $500 all-in at a HP in the PHX area (or something similar), and I wanted to see what others think about this "investment".

I normally stay 20-25 nights a year in Hyatts, and could probably make 30 year-over-year for permanent Explorist and the Cat 1-4 cert. I'd say a hair over half of those nights are at HRs, GHs, and the like in major cities, where there is likely to be a lounge or meaningful breakfast benefit that I could use as a Globalist, as welk as a bogus resort/destination fee that would get waived. Of course, the lack of TSUs is a bummer, but I mostly travel alone (for work or pleasure), and while suites are nice, they are not the be-all-end-all. I guess the one thing I can't pinpoint a value for is the space-available suite upgrades.

If I do make the push during my challenge period, I will also likely hit 30 nights overall this year, earning me the Cat 1-4 cert.

Any thoughts, one way or another, would be most appreciated!
The Hyatt app is giving back 500 per booking right now. Also something back with the Hyatt CC, but I assume you do not have that and it may be too late to register anyway. If you normally stay 20-25, be aware that just holding the CC gives you 5 nights and a cat 4 every year on renewal and another with $15K spend. Pretty hard to beat for $95.

And Globalist also gives free parking on awards/free nights, a great perk in cities.

Do these have to be cash stays by the terms of the challenge? I would much prefer to book cat 1s for 4500 net than spend ~$70 cash if possible.
toomanybooks is offline  
Old Aug 12, 19, 1:40 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SYD, SFO
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA GLD, former DL DM
Posts: 1,944
Based on your travel plans (30 nights/year), 1.5 years of Globalist + 1 Category 1-4 certificate is definitely worth more than $500.

If you book through the app as 7 stays, you can get an extra 3,500 points to reduce the net cost even further. Just read the promo T&Cs again - consecutive nights will count as only 1 stay for the purposes of the 500 points, even if the nights are booked separately.

Last edited by lamont2718; Aug 12, 19 at 7:48 am
lamont2718 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread