Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

That loud housekeeping bang on the door that startles you awake

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

That loud housekeeping bang on the door that startles you awake

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:01 pm

Sorry! Sounds like a limited service hotel stay!

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The problem is that despite a DND sign, in many hotels housekeepers pound on the door anyway. When one answers and points to the DND sign (still highly visible on the doorknob from the hallway), they just shrug and don't even apologize. It's disgusting and extremely annoying. If this is the hotel policy, the policy should be published rather than the hotel just supplying DND signs *as if* they will be honored by stuff.
I am so sorry you are having this issue! You must be staying at the Hyatt Place!
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BoraYa
I am so sorry you are having this issue! You must be staying at the Hyatt Place!
No, I have this problem at HRs, etc., and also at other chains, including their full service and even luxury properties.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The first things I do after entering a hotel room are to unplug the alarm and unplug the phone.
I have had to start doing this... Like if I put up the DND sign It means I do not want to be distrubed, not "please check on me a few hours later to see if I still want service". Have had this happen to me at a local motel type hotel all the way up to the W hotel in HK at a plat... just rediculous.

The problem is that despite a DND sign, in many hotels housekeepers pound on the door anyway. When one answers and points to the DND sign (still highly visible on the doorknob from the hallway), they just shrug and don't even apologize. It's disgusting and extremely annoying. If this is the hotel policy, the policy should be published rather than the hotel just supplying DND signs *as if* they will be honored by stuff.
This. I dont remember anything about any hotel's policy OR DND signs saying they were... "optional" lol.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Whenever that happens - either knocking on the door, calling the room or just entering the room - despite DND sign displayed the night is automatically for free following my complaint.

If the guest is woken up then the point of staying at a hotel is forfeited so I request the nights charge to be waived. Maybe that helps the management keeping their housekeeping policies in check.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
If there's a question about whether the guest has checked out, the employee should ask the front desk, NOT pound on a door with a DND sign. Period.
You keep on mentioning a DND sign. The OP never said he placed one on the door.
awayIgo likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:35 am

Even worse when they just barge into the room without knocking!
hotturnip likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by frebethemature
Even worse when they just barge into the room without knocking!
That's what security locks are for...
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:18 am

I commonly work evening or overnight shifts when on work travel and thus sleep at odd hours. I have found through experience the best way to avoid being disturbed is to notify housekeeping via the front desk that I will be sleeping during the day and do not require any service that day - and to do so every day. It's worth a short phone call to the desk to avoid the unplanned wakeup.
HMPS likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by twb3
I commonly work evening or overnight shifts when on work travel and thus sleep at odd hours. I have found through experience the best way to avoid being disturbed is to notify housekeeping via the front desk that I will be sleeping during the day and do not require any service that day - and to do so every day. It's worth a short phone call to the desk to avoid the unplanned wakeup.
I agree this is prudent practice in these cases. But honestly, I've had more instances where my room wasn't serviced at all when I've forgotten to remove the DND before leaving for the day than I've had being woken when the DND is on the door.
In other words, ime the system works as it's meant to.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
OP in your shoes I have practiced double redundancy. Put out the DND, inform the desk ( knowing there will be shift change) and set up a wake up call. Have done that many times.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite
Thanks to everyone for the comments. FWIW, no DND sign anywhere in the room that I could find. But even had there been one, I disagree with those who make this my fault. I had told the front desk on check-in at 4am that I was getting some badly needed sleep prior to driving the next day, and that I would be checking out at noon. That is all it should take, period.
JetAway, rickg523 and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by aviators99
Generally they won't do this if the Do Not Disturb sign is out, so I always put it out. On the other hand, there seems to be an actual policy at some properties (including the HR Denver Downtown) that if the DND sign is on and it gets to be a certain time, they will call you on the phone to see if you want service for the day. I find this to be unacceptable, but the property disagrees (although they made a note on my profile not to do it to me again). Other properties slip a note under the door, which I find to be acceptable.
I would just disconnect the phone.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Boofer
Thanks to everyone for the comments. FWIW, no DND sign anywhere in the room that I could find. But even had there been one, I disagree with those who make this my fault. I had told the front desk on check-in at 4am that I was getting some badly needed sleep prior to driving the next day, and that I would be checking out at noon. That is all it should take, period.
I can't say it your fault. Let us just say your expectations were a bit high?
However only I can best look after myself (save my wife). Once you accept this you will take safe guards to protect yourself.
While you correctly informed the 4 AM desk clerk, I think it is too much to expect in today's world for such small instructions thru at least THREE hands. Not going to happen , perhaps at super luxury hotels, yes.

I used to travel a lot and learned such things as I traveled. Made my life easier.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite
Originally Posted by HMPS
Let us just say your expectations were a bit high?
Sadly, you are probably right. Hiring a room in a place designed for sleeping, the expectation that you are simply allowed to do that exact thing - sleep - is just too much to ask. Welcome to 2019, I guess.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Somebody said that Housekeeping should contact the desk first. Wrong. The desk relies on housekeeping to let them know who's checked out, since many people use express checkout, or just leave.

I am reminded of my experience years ago at the Grand Hyatt NY. The housekeepers there would unlock and start opening then door, THEN start rapping as it started to swing open. "Housekeeping!?"

Some years ago I was frequently staying at Extended Stays. They seem to have developed an official "bum's rush" policy. They would ask at checkin when you were leaving, call your room the night before checkout to confirm you were departing, call your room in the morning (first thing!), and even after telling them, "I'm checking out at noon," they'd call back AGAIN later in the morning. I quit using Extended Stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.