Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt new policy only 1 bottle of water per room

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt new policy only 1 bottle of water per room

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lighthouse206
Finally, municipal water in virtually **every** major metropolitan area in the USA, Canada, and Europe is perfectly safe. Yes, there have been some well-publicized issues (Flint) but beyond that, there are no issues with the water that will cause stomach problems in an average human.
Just because it's safe doesn't mean that it doesn't taste terrible. My bar here is higher than "won't make me sick".

It really depends on the city. I've always lived in places with great tap water but I've definitely been to places (even in the US) where the water tastes bad.
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Does this have anything to do with the topic?
Everything - and what is to you, anyway? Why post if all you plan to do is judge?

Filtered water means no need for wasteful bottled water. Duh.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
In the US, at least 75% of single-use plastic bottles are not recycled.
Recycling can be important for waste management, but its importance is overstated by many people. Recycling of course consumes a lot of energy, and therefore the net benefit of recycling PET bottles is not always clear cut. Plastic that makes its way into oceans is far more of a problem than plastic that is contained within landfills. I am not saying that we should not recycle PET bottles - I recycle virtually all of mine and pick up litter - but I am saying that recycling PET bottles is not always cost effective or the most pressing environmental issue.

Originally Posted by dayone
And most large hotels in those places have in-house filtration systems.
No they do not. At many very high end hotels and resorts guests are expressly warned not to drink tap water. A filtration system that can purify drinking water would never hadle the volume of water needed for bathing, laundry, bathroom sinks, and toilet flushes. And it would be a ridiculous waste of energy and money to use pure drinking water for those purposes, when only a tiny percentage of tap water needs to be purified for drinking. Those purification processes require expensive reverse osmosis systems, UV lights, etc... all of which consume energy.

Furthermore, I was not only talking about hotels. There are huge populations in the world whose only access to pure drinking water is through purchased bottled water. This includes billions of people who do not have the luxury of contemplating waste management or recycling, as they are worried about being able to feed their children or having clean water at all.

The world is quite a bit more complex than your Hyatt hotel room and your good ol’ reusable water bottle...
GUWonder likes this.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Mar 8, 2019 at 1:00 pm
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Talk about a one-trick-pony. Your posts have one theme and one theme only: cost cuts are screwing everyone over. There's another phrase for "cost cutting" and it's called "efficiency gaining." Efficiency gaining is what enables us to fly around the world for a tiny fraction of what it once cost, it has allowed virtually everyone to afford a smart phone, made it possible to offer free overnight delivery, and has allowed people to (in many cases) live better. Cost cutting does NOT always mean screwing over people: cutting wages, demanding more work, or in your (latest) example: leaving contaminated glassware in rooms.

Finally, municipal water in virtually **every** major metropolitan area in the USA, Canada, and Europe is perfectly safe. Yes, there have been some well-publicized issues (Flint) but beyond that, there are no issues with the water that will cause stomach problems in an average human. So please, stop spreading rumors and false information. Fun fact: most bottled water comes straight out of the municipal tap! Here in Texas, a major source of bottled water comes from lovely Pasadena: a community known for it's oil refineries and chemical plants. IF there is ONE place where I'd prefer to not drink the municipal water, it's probably Pasadena.... yet millions drink bottled water that originated from there.
I can’t stop what I never started, so what rumors and false information are you talking about? Beside trying to talk falsely about me.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I can’t stop what I never started, so what rumors and false information are you talking about? Beside trying to talk falsely about me.
The above post you quoted could be considered a textbook straw man argument.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

No they do not. At many very high end hotels and resorts guests are expressly warned not to drink tap water.
I can only speak to Mexico, but Hyatt resorts in Mexico have their own water purification facilities making their tap water safe to drink. Drank it many many times. No issues whatsoever.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:02 pm

And what is potable drinking water from the tap for many and consumed by many without issue may not be without risk of disturbing the stomachs of many others.
Total BS. Water is either potable (by international standards) or it isn't. In your binary world this should be a simple concept. What your saying furthers the idea that you better drink bottled "just to be safe." Do you work for the bottled water industry or profit from it it some way? It is true that some non-potable water can be consumed by certain populations without issue, and perhaps that's what you were trying to say, but in a very misleading manner because potable water is found in virtually all modern cities in USA, Canada, Europe, and most of Asia.

The bottles of water would probably be used less by hotel guests if the glasses in the hotel rooms were more certainly known to be clean. But given the cost-cutting goals involving hotel housekeeping service, my bet is that the glasses are host to more pathogens than if housekeeping services weren’t so squeezed in the interest of cost-cutting goals.
More total BS. Pathogens? Really? There's no evidence that contaminated glassware is a real problem at hotels (find me an article), but fear of this is (and you SPREADING fear) is a sure way to get people to consume more bottled water.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

The above post you quoted could be considered a textbook straw man argument.
Yes, and it continues.

I now need to get on my high horses and scream about Hyatt suppressing my sales of water and toiletries in plastic bottles and thereby making me poor since I am infamous for a binary, non-nuanced view of developments in the world and I have a super secret agenda as a paid lobbyist for the ONG industry, its related plastics/chemical industry partners, and of course for the bottled water industry too. Now, the whole world knows.

MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Water Tales from Travels

HH Shelton: 2 bottles of water or 1 of anything else you want to drink from their store.

HP Milford: 1 bottle from shop.

HR Jersey City: 2 bottles in fridge

HR Buffalo: 1 bottle from shop.

Hyatt Herald Square: 1 bottle from shop.

GH Istanbul: 6 500ml bottles and many more 330ml available in GC.

PH Istanbul: None. Purified drinking tap in bathroom. Rather unbecoming of a PH, IMO.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:38 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Sir, the changes to WoH after rollout now make it easier to get Glob than the old 25 stay requirement. Specifically, night credit for credit card spend. One can now simply manufactured spend their way to Glob and then just burn those points and free nights accumulated along the way without ever paying cash for a room. Including having full club access and TSUs. While $125K in charges sounds like a lot, that is a light month for some experienced Manufactured Spenders.
If you are unfamiliar with manufactured spending and how easy it is, I recommend you visit the Manufactured Spending forum on this website.
The only way that World of Hyatt makes it easier to get Globalist over Hyatt Gold Passport is because the latter never had a tier called "Globalist" (it had a tier with a name that meant something, was easily recognisable and didn't come with political assertions). As for the credit card, how do I get one? The last time I checked, unless you have a US Social Security number, you're outta luck, which means it might be easier for you (and what I presume would be the majority of its program members as they reside in the US) but a blanket statement that World of Hyatt makes it easier for top tier is blatantly false.

The world is quite a bit more complex than your Hyatt hotel room and your good ol’ reusable water bottle...
We've gotta start somewhere, though. If this is a cost-cutting exercise dressed as an environmental initiative than that's poor form (although par for the course these days, it seems).

I am interested in suggestions that recycling plants cause their own environmental disasters.

To my mind, I would like to see hotels have filtered water stations available. The Hyatt House Chelsea has one, for example and I think the Grand Hyatt Denver also has one. Give guests one bottle per person, per stay and add a swing tag letting them know they can refill their bottles with perfectly filtered water as much as they like. I assume glass bottles would be better again but I wouldn't want to be a housekeeper having to add 30 or 40 of those to a trolley.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Seriously people??? You DO realize the water that comes out of the tap in your room is likely just as pure as whatever is in the bottle? Bottled water is horrible for the environment and I applaud Hyatt for trying to cut back on it (if, in fact, they are..)

Beyond that... I've observed a move to larger single bottles (typically of a premium brand) at some full service Hyatt's... and those cost way more (at retail) than two small bottles of Aquafina.
That's a pretty blanket statement and definitely not true for the vast majority of countries in the world. Even domestically, would you drink from the tab at Hyatt Regency Flint? (Not sure if there is one and too lazy to look it up right now).

I don't drink still water but even to flush my mouth after brushing teeth I don't use tab water in Asia (apart from JP/SK) or South America.

Recently I stayed at Element in Kuala Lumpur and all their rooms had a 3M faucet in the kitchenette that filtered water automatically.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:33 am

Received I believe four or six bottles of quality bottled at Park Hyatt Siem Reap two days ago. Requested four more at turn down service , was graciously given.

The thing about giving one bottle and asking people to refill their bottle — I hope that the water source is close to the room. Otherwise it can be quite time consuming , if one has to take the elevator and go to the lobby every time.

Better to leave it to the guest, rather than to impose something from hotel chain headquarters.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:33 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Aventine
This was my experience at Herald Square, HH Shelton and HR Greenwich. One bottle only in room. It's just Aquafina too! Makes one grateful for decadent, or, generous APAC and ME.
If you stay at the awful GHNY, good luck trying to get even one bottle in the room.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 5:08 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
This is an old thread but I'm new to WOH and just had a really unpleasant experience with the desk guy at the Hyatt Place Long Island City.

On my first few days...they brought me 2 bottles of water a day. Excellent.

Then...they just stopped bringing the water altogether, and I went downstairs to ask for them, and he says, you can only have 1. The other bottle will be $3.

Really? I ramped up on Hyatts this year, Explorist now, will actually become Globalist once this current stay hits my account. He says Globalists get 2. Me: well they didn't bring me any yesterday so can this one just count for yesterday.

I am really really wondering if this Globalist mattress run is worth it. So petty. And the Hyatt Place idea of "hot breakfast" is pretty gross, so....so far I'm really not enjoying this. I mean, what if there are two people staying together in a room - they're going to share a single bottle of water?
Old Jul 19, 2021, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyerUSA
This is an old thread but I'm new to WOH and just had a really unpleasant experience with the desk guy at the Hyatt Place Long Island City.

On my first few days...they brought me 2 bottles of water a day. Excellent.

Then...they just stopped bringing the water altogether, and I went downstairs to ask for them, and he says, you can only have 1. The other bottle will be $3.

Really? I ramped up on Hyatts this year, Explorist now, will actually become Globalist once this current stay hits my account. He says Globalists get 2. Me: well they didn't bring me any yesterday so can this one just count for yesterday.

I am really really wondering if this Globalist mattress run is worth it. So petty. And the Hyatt Place idea of "hot breakfast" is pretty gross, so....so far I'm really not enjoying this. I mean, what if there are two people staying together in a room - they're going to share a single bottle of water?
Honestly, even though I’m Globalist, I always find a supermarket and buy a 6 or 12 pack of spring water and take it back to the room. Can’t be bothered begging for water.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.