Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Globalists should avoid Grand Hyatt Singapore (No restaurant breakfast offered)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA CK 2MM, DL DM 1MM, WN CP, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic3, Marriott Titanium Lftm, Hyatt GLB

This is my first negative review in several years. When I receive top-notch service, I like to call it out for all to see. When I don't, I like to give the service provider a chance to make amends before complaining publicly. In my experience, companies want to offer their customers value-for-money and make them happy.

Not the Grand Hyatt Singapore. In this instance, outreach to management was originally met with stony silence. They finally got back to me and tried to make amends -- but only after I publicly posted on social media.

I'm a Globalist and typically love the Grand Hyatt brand given the outstanding lobbies, Grand Club benefits, and lavish breakfasts in the main restaurant. Especially in Asia, where I've now stayed at a number of locations (Taipei being my favorite). The breakfast is a special treat when I travel with my family on holiday, since I often have less time to enjoy this when on business. However the Singapore hotel decided I was not entitled to the privilege at the main Straits Kitchen restaurant -- which has the large, diverse breakfast I've come to expect at the Grands -- and instead had to go to the Club, which was a comparatively paltry, poor representation of Singapore's amazing cuisine (All of Asia was represented by congee and one dumpling option). First time this has happened as a Globalist, and I've stayed at 7 Grand Hyatts this year.

When I tried to reach a hotel manager, was asked to send an e-mail. No response until I posted on Tripadvisor, Facebook. They sent a bottle of whisky to my room as a goodwill gesture after, which I do appreciate (and am giving away to a friend since I don't want to check a bag on the way home). However, doesn't change the fact that their policy is noncompetitive with Singapore peers and other Grand Hyatts in the region.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:52 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by ORD_UA1K
This is my first negative review in several years. When I receive top-notch service, I like to call it out for all to see. When I don't, I like to give the service provider a chance to make amends before complaining publicly. In my experience, companies want to offer their customers value-for-money and make them happy.

Not the Grand Hyatt Singapore. In this instance, outreach to management was originally met with stony silence. They finally got back to me and tried to make amends -- but only after I publicly posted on social media.

I'm a Globalist and typically love the Grand Hyatt brand given the outstanding lobbies, Grand Club benefits, and lavish breakfasts in the main restaurant. Especially in Asia, where I've now stayed at a number of locations (Taipei being my favorite). The breakfast is a special treat when I travel with my family on holiday, since I often have less time to enjoy this when on business. However the Singapore hotel decided I was not entitled to the privilege at the main Straits Kitchen restaurant -- which has the large, diverse breakfast I've come to expect at the Grands -- and instead had to go to the Club, which was a comparatively paltry, poor representation of Singapore's amazing cuisine (All of Asia was represented by congee and one dumpling option). First time this has happened as a Globalist, and I've stayed at 7 Grand Hyatts this year.

When I tried to reach a hotel manager, was asked to send an e-mail. No response until I posted on Tripadvisor, Facebook. They sent a bottle of whisky to my room as a goodwill gesture after, which I do appreciate (and am giving away to a friend since I don't want to check a bag on the way home). However, doesn't change the fact that their policy is noncompetitive with Singapore peers and other Grand Hyatts in the region.
Honestly, I do not understand your point, nor your negative review. As a Globalist, you are not entitled to breakfast in the main restaurant. the Lounge is guaranteed, and some locations may extend to the restaurant as well. BUT you are not entitled to the restaurant, unless the hotel does not have a lounge.
Markie, dw, beachfan and 14 others like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by ORD_UA1K

I'm surprised you got breakfast in the restaurant as a Glob benefit at GH Taipei. At what other GHs (or any other Hyatts) did you get that?

Whiskey is very expensive in Sing...
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:43 am

When I stayed they gave me breakfast in the restaurant as a glob benefit
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
Seriously, this is not a benefit.

I don't recall if I have ever had breakfast in the restaurant at GHs with a lounge. That would be very nice if offered, but I would never ask for it. And nor would I complain if they didn't agree to a demand for it.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Where can I complain about not receiving a benefit that isn't published or promised?

... your mirror...
CloudCoder and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: 1k MM, Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Gold, IHG Sphire, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Carson Gold
I also would never expect a benefit that's not in the T & C. Then slam a Hotel for not giving you more than you deserve in my opinion disgraceful. I love the Grand Hyatt Singapore A+ in my book
dw, beachfan, MSPeconomist and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Did they have a suite for your giraffe?
dw, TerryK, moondog and 10 others like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm not fond of this hotel, but let's be fair here: The hotel followed the rules and OP has no grounds to complain.
dw, TerryK, synd and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB + Marriott LP
Haha , I think GH Singapore might want to avoid you...
TerryK, peteropny, dayone and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Should be merged.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...thread-66.html

On second thought, perhaps we can create a new thread Complaints about not receiving Globalist benefit which one is not entitled to.
tigerwong, 59Impala and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA CK 2MM, DL DM 1MM, WN CP, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic3, Marriott Titanium Lftm, Hyatt GLB
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
I'm surprised you got breakfast in the restaurant as a Glob benefit at GH Taipei. At what other GHs (or any other Hyatts) did you get that?.
Let’s see, in 2018 alone, breakfast at the main restaurant in GH Taipei, Kuala Lumpur, Chengdu, Seattle, and New York. I’m likely missing a few. Singapore was the only place it was NOT offered.

Not including any other Hyatts since I’ve not kept track. I think the GH’s especially in Asia are typically a notch above.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
Seems like service has gone down at most Hyatt's for Globalists. They care less about status. I used to really enjoy being at GH Singapore - may be will try the Marriott next door now.
Thanks for posting this review.
peteropny likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ACC2008
Seems like service has gone down at most Hyatt's for Globalists. They care less about status. I used to really enjoy being at GH Singapore - may be will try the Marriott next door now.
Thanks for posting this review.
Would that be the Marriott at the bottom of the hill, on Orchard Road? Try the StR instead if you like this neighborhood.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
I really cannot understand your expectation/demand for this non-benefit. And your complaints to Hyatt will likely make them discourage properties from offering any nice one-time enhancements to guests. Every so often a property still offers me a welcome amenity--should I complain about the properties that do not?
dw and 59Impala like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.