Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Timing on WOH Visa $5K spend 2 qualifying nights

Timing on WOH Visa $5K spend 2 qualifying nights

Reply

Old Jan 20, 19, 4:50 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,444
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
Nothing therein suggests 2018 spending would count for 2019; only that any earned nights would post after a statement closing date.
But that didn't happen either.

Count me as one of the people who (mistakenly) thought that the nights would all count for the status year that the statement posts.

Have we figured out if the spend was zeroed out on Jan 1? Or if leftover spend (under $5000) carries over? The terms say that you get 2 nights for every $5000 spent, nothing about exceptions if that $5000 is over multiple calendar years.
VegasGambler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 19, 7:13 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Miami, Florida
Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 2,685
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
But that didn't happen either.
What do you mean? Based on various reports above, a person whose statement closed, e.g., on Dec. 5, then spent $10,000 before Dec. 31, apparently had 4 qualifying nights post for 2018 on Jan. 5 (or 6), 2019, just as would be expected. Hyatt doesn't require all 2018 activity actually post in 2018. People presumably can still make Globalist for 2018 thru late this month, as their January WoH card statements close.
joe_miami is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 19, 7:24 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Houston,Texas,USA
Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 778
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
What do you mean? Based on various reports above, a person whose statement closed, e.g., on Dec. 5, then spent $10,000 before Dec. 31, apparently had 4 qualifying nights post for 2018 on Jan. 5 (or 6), 2019, just as would be expected. Hyatt doesn't require all 2018 activity actually post in 2018. People presumably can still make Globalist for 2018 thru late this month, as their January WoH card statements close.
I completed a $ 5000.00 credit card segment on Dec. 16th ,2018 and another $15,000 Jan 9th and all 8 nights posted to 2019 night credit
martinplas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 19, 7:30 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Miami, Florida
Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 2,685
Originally Posted by martinplas View Post

I completed a $ 5000.00 credit card segment on Dec. 16th ,2018 and another $15,000 Jan 9th and all 8 nights posted to 2019 night credit
When do your statements close? Perhaps there is or was an accounting issue with the $5,000 from 2018.
joe_miami is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 19, 8:00 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,444
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
What do you mean?
I mean the part about the earned nights posting after the statement close. They posted on Dec 31
VegasGambler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 19, 8:18 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Miami, Florida
Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 2,685
Per the above, it appears they post after the statement closes, but backdated to 12/31.
joe_miami is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 19, 9:31 pm
  #37  
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Homeless
Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Posts: 1,695
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
escape4 - do you know that you got 108 nights in 2018?
Unfortunately no, I am just making an assumption. I know I was at exactly 100 nights in late December, but I cannot confirm that exactly on December 31 my night count went up from 100 to 108 before resetting to zero on January 1. However I know my 2019 night count only includes 8 nights from the credit card whereas I expected 16 nights, so I assumed the missing 8 nights went to 2018 rather than la-la land.
escape4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 19, 11:00 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Upper Sternistan
Posts: 7,348
Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
Unfortunately no, I am just making an assumption. I know I was at exactly 100 nights in late December, but I cannot confirm that exactly on December 31 my night count went up from 100 to 108 before resetting to zero on January 1. However I know my 2019 night count only includes 8 nights from the credit card whereas I expected 16 nights, so I assumed the missing 8 nights went to 2018 rather than la-la land.
Yeah - they should publish them for 2018 in our histories, just so we can actually account for them. I don't like the "if if doesn't impact you, who cares?" approach.
josephstern is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 19, 1:59 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 102
Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
Well among other things, @Colin spoke to a supervisor in the first half of December who said that is how it would work. Obviously nobody can have the right answers 100% of the time, but it's easy to see how people on FT got to believe that is how it was more likely to work.
I also spoke with a supervisor at Chase who told me the same thing in December.

I called in today (to the JP Morgan Executive line) and was told the same thing again. When I told the rep that wasn't what happened in practice he didn't have an answer, that was all the information he had. He said the only thing he could do was submit a report and someone would contact me.
Dsnow0819 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 19, 2:50 pm
  #40  
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Homeless
Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Posts: 1,695
Originally Posted by Dsnow0819 View Post
I also spoke with a supervisor at Chase who told me the same thing in December.

I called in today (to the JP Morgan Executive line) and was told the same thing again. When I told the rep that wasn't what happened in practice he didn't have an answer, that was all the information he had. He said the only thing he could do was submit a report and someone would contact me.
Thanks for the update; I think I will call as well to ask whether it was handled properly or not. It won't hurt if a few of us report it.
escape4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 19, 10:13 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Houston,Texas,USA
Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 778
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
When do your statements close? Perhaps there is or was an accounting issue with the $5,000 from 2018.
15th of each month
martinplas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 19, 4:10 am
  #42  
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Homeless
Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Posts: 1,695
Originally Posted by martinplas View Post
I completed a $ 5000.00 credit card segment on Dec. 16th ,2018 and another $15,000 Jan 9th and all 8 nights posted to 2019 night credit
Originally Posted by martinplas View Post
15th of each month
Sounds like Chase is telling us that what matters is the calendar year of the spending so your description above might not contradict the experience of others. Whether your $15k "completion" on Jan 9th comes mostly from spend on December 31st or January 1st would make a difference.

Spend from Jan 1st - Jan 15th (your statement date) + overflow spend from calendar year 2018 = this amount is probably between 20k and 24.9k I would guess
escape4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 19, 8:50 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 42
Sort of a related question: When people have hit the $15k spend to generate the second award night, has it posted to your account immediately? It stands to reason that it should, but part of me was wondering if you won't actually get it until your anniversary hits.
RMZ2006 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 19, 9:07 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New York, NY, USA
Programs: UA 1K - 1.5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, *iott Lifetime Plat Premier (Ambassador thru 1/20), Hyatt Glob
Posts: 591
Originally Posted by RMZ2006 View Post
Sort of a related question: When people have hit the $15k spend to generate the second award night, has it posted to your account immediately? It stands to reason that it should, but part of me was wondering if you won't actually get it until your anniversary hits.
It posts just after the statement cycle in which you earn it.
ginmqi, MarkOK and RMZ2006 like this.
Magic Pickles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 19, 2:06 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Stilllwater OK
Programs: AAdvantage Plat Pro, World of Hyatt Globalist, Marriot "member"
Posts: 790
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
But that didn't happen either.

Count me as one of the people who (mistakenly) thought that the nights would all count for the status year that the statement posts.

Have we figured out if the spend was zeroed out on Jan 1? Or if leftover spend (under $5000) carries over? The terms say that you get 2 nights for every $5000 spent, nothing about exceptions if that $5000 is over multiple calendar years.

Data Point:

My statement closed Jan 20. I had about 2.2K dollars in spend on my WoH card since December 20th. On that Dec 20 statement, my rolling extra towards my next 2 nights was something close to 3-4K.

I got 2 EQDs posted to my account yesterday with my statement.

My guess (which matches my expectation) is that the 5K is just on a continuous roll. When you close a statement that exceeds that roll, you get credit then and there. Chase isn't going to split up spending between the years midcycle. My bet with the 15K/cat1-4 count is that it resets on your anniversary statement date.
MarkOK is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread