Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Timing on WOH Visa $5K spend 2 qualifying nights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:27 am
Original Poster

It has been my general observation these past few months that my WOH Qualifying Nights YTD counter has been incremented by 2 for $5K spend thresholds on my Chase WOH Visa at around the time of Chase statement closure.

Is this observation consistent with your experience?

My Chase WOH Visa statement for December has closed.
I am $1K in spend away from my next $5K threshold.
If I hit $1K in spend during Dec 2018, my theory is that those 2 qualifying nights will post to my WOH account for 2019 (and not 2018).
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
If your statement closes in DEC 2018 then these 2 nights will count toward the 2018 balance.

You should refrain from spending any more on the card during the current billing cycle if you don't need them this year and don't want to waste them.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Colin
It has been my general observation these past few months that my WOH Qualifying Nights YTD counter has been incremented by 2 for $5K spend thresholds on my Chase WOH Visa at around the time of Chase statement closure.

Is this observation consistent with your experience?

My Chase WOH Visa statement for December has closed.
I am $1K in spend away from my next $5K threshold.
If I hit $1K in spend during Dec 2018, my theory is that those 2 qualifying nights will post to my WOH account for 2019 (and not 2018).
Everyone expects that any spending after one's Dec. 2018 statement closes will carry over and post for 2019, but it's impossible to know exactly how it will work until we get to Jan. 2019 and see what happens. As I've said in the World of Hyatt credit card thread, it makes very little sense that someone whose statement closes on Dec. 3 and then spends $48,000 between Dec. 4 and Dec. 31 will get 0 qualifying nights in 2018 and 18 nights for 2019, but that's how it might end up working. (The extra $3,000 carrying over makes sense, but not the other $45,000.)
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Everyone expects that any spending after one's Dec. 2018 statement closes will carry over and post for 2019, but it's impossible to know exactly how it will work until we get to Jan. 2019 and see what happens. As I've said in the World of Hyatt credit card thread, it makes very little sense that someone whose statement closes on Dec. 3 and then spends $48,000 between Dec. 4 and Dec. 31 will get 0 qualifying nights in 2018 and 18 nights for 2019, but that's how it might end up working. (The extra $3,000 carrying over makes sense, but not the other $45,000.)
Count me out of the "everyone" here.

I expect they'll do this the right way. Your sample situation shows how ridiculous using statement closing dates would be.

And, yes, my statement closes today, and I'm expecting to get two more nights via the card later in December based on planned spend. So I have a dog in the race.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
I expect they'll do this the right way. Your sample situation shows how ridiculous using statement closing dates would be.
Define the right way though. If they are strict on the calendar year of the when the spend occurs, who's to say that ending 2018 calendar year on $4,999 wouldn't just cause the $4,999 to evaporate into thin air and start you on a fresh spending clock at $0 come 1/1? I'm holding off on spending on the card until the new year with something like $4,750 so I clearly am expecting it to roll over, but they're not 100% clear on this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Count me out of the "everyone" here.

And, yes, my statement closes today, and I'm expecting to get two more nights via the card later in December based on planned spend. So I have a dog in the race.
What's your backup plan?

As "ridiculous" as using statement close dates is, that's pretty much how most of these benefits work. Hyatt doesn't know when you hit $5K in spending on your Chase card. Chase knows, but so far does not give night credits mid-statement, only after the statement closes. At which point they then calculate for each $5K of spending they pass along the 2 night credits to Hyatt and then Hyatt posts them to your account.

Chase (and other issuers) seem to have different paths for handling initial spend bonuses (and special offers) vs ongoing spend bonuses/benefits.

Hypothetical question:
- Statement closed yesterday
- You put $10K in spend on your card today
- When would you "expect" the 10,000 Hyatt points to post to your account? Assuming you expect it at statement close, why would you expect that the points post next month, but the night credits from that spend post before then?
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WantOnlinePoker
Define the right way though. If they are strict on the calendar year of the when the spend occurs, who's to say that ending 2018 calendar year on $4,999 wouldn't just cause the $4,999 to evaporate into thin air and start you on a fresh spending clock at $0 come 1/1? I'm holding off on spending on the card until the new year with something like $4,750 so I clearly am expecting it to roll over, but they're not 100% clear on this.
But it's not the calendar year of the spending, per se, but the calendar date of hitting each incremental $5,000.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jameswes

Hypothetical question:
- When would you "expect" the 10,000 Hyatt points to post to your account? Assuming you expect it at statement close, why would you expect that the points post next month, but the night credits from that spend post before then?
I don't believe he expects the night credits to post before then; simply for the night credits to post for 2018 rather than 2019.

I certainly wouldn't bet my Globalist status that it will work out that way, but it's not unreasonable for a CC holder to expect it will work that way, especially if one or more full $5,000 increments are hit between Dec. statement close and end of business on Dec. 31.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WantOnlinePoker
Whether the $4999 carries over is really related to a different set of terms that I haven't looked at very carefully.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jameswes
What's your backup plan?

As "ridiculous" as using statement close dates is, that's pretty much how most of these benefits work. Hyatt doesn't know when you hit $5K in spending on your Chase card. Chase knows, but so far does not give night credits mid-statement, only after the statement closes. At which point they then calculate for each $5K of spending they pass along the 2 night credits to Hyatt and then Hyatt posts them to your account.

Chase (and other issuers) seem to have different paths for handling initial spend bonuses (and special offers) vs ongoing spend bonuses/benefits.

Hypothetical question:
10k points would post after statement closes. That's SOP, and it really doesn't matter when they post.

My backup plan? All that hinges on this, for me, is one suite upgrade. So I'd stamp my feet a little, and, if I get nowhere, give it up. But if this was part of my Globalist plan, I'd probably push pretty hard.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

10k points would post after statement closes. That's SOP, and it really doesn't matter when they post.

My backup plan? All that hinges on this, for me, is one suite upgrade. So I'd stamp my feet a little, and, if I get nowhere, give it up. But if this was part of my Globalist plan, I'd probably push pretty hard.
I honestly expect them to just give it to you if you ask. And I bet the nights count for next year too (removing them would be too hard)
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:25 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
My assumption of how this will mechanically happen: for illustration purposes let's say I have not used my card all year, my statement date is December 10th, and assume that I have 52 Hyatt nights for calendar year 2018 and attempting to renew Globalist.

Spend Dec 1-10 = $8k
Spend Dec 11-31 = $9k
Spend Jan 1-10 = $6k

I think I will get 2 night credits in 2018 because of the $8k spend, so this will push me to 54 night and I will miss Globalist. Then for Hyatt calendar year 2019 I have 6 night credits to start with based on $9+6k=$15k spend.

I do not think Chase will break down spending between calendar years 2018 and 2019 to report such amounts to Hyatt - in their mind it is an unnecessary complication. They go by billing statements, period.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:01 am
Original Poster

you mean $18K for 2019
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Colin
you mean $18K for 2019
I agree that's most likely what will happen.

Spend Dec 1-10 = $8k ($3K is "rollover", $5K gets used for 2 night credits in 2018)
Spend Dec 11-31 = $9k
Spend Jan 1-10 = $6k

$3K Rollover + $9K + $6K = $18K for 2019.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:47 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I was not aware of the rollover, in that case then yes $18k for 2019! Thanks for bringing this up ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.