Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Athens REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Athens REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2023, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by german_traveller_2
Just stayed there recently. Nice lounge actually! Nice light snacks all day
Any updates on the renovation? Are the elevators as slow as everyone says? How was the service? 5 star hotel or more of a hotel factory?
Old Sep 7, 2023, 8:52 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Any updates on the renovation? Are the elevators as slow as everyone says? How was the service? 5 star hotel or more of a hotel factory?
Bumping previous questions. I'm particularly interested in additional thoughts on the location. Traveling early November.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 11:49 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by fmkgb
Bumping previous questions. I'm particularly interested in additional thoughts on the location. Traveling early November.
The location sucks.....I think that is pretty clear by many of the previous posts. Not close to anything historic and on a real busy street. My understanding is the hotel is primarily used for cruise passengers before embarking....and a few business types.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by david55
The location sucks.....I think that is pretty clear by many of the previous posts. Not close to anything historic and on a real busy street. My understanding is the hotel is primarily used for cruise passengers before embarking....and a few business types.
Understood. But what is the status of the renovations? How was the service? And is the elevator still super slow?
Old Sep 8, 2023, 8:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Understood. But what is the status of the renovations? How was the service? And is the elevator still super slow?
I stayed here in July, so it was the peak of tourist season and had 2 renovated rooms. Like others have said, the locations kind of sucks. You can walk to the main tourist attractions, but it's probably a 30-45 minute walk (depending on what part you are going to). Uber isn't dependable there and taxis weren't either unless you were willing to pay them 2-3x the normal rate.

The hotel was really busy while we were there and the elevators were definitely an issue during peak times. It seems like they connected another building to the original building but kept the same number of elevators.

The service was not great. A lot of employees just didn't seem to care. There was no concierge available at the desk most of the time and trying to book a car service to the airport through the hotel was a bit of a challenge.

Lounge was fine and there is a breakfast buffet upstairs as well.
Old Sep 8, 2023, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by jchiang53
I stayed here in July, so it was the peak of tourist season and had 2 renovated rooms. Like others have said, the locations kind of sucks. You can walk to the main tourist attractions, but it's probably a 30-45 minute walk (depending on what part you are going to). Uber isn't dependable there and taxis weren't either unless you were willing to pay them 2-3x the normal rate.

The hotel was really busy while we were there and the elevators were definitely an issue during peak times. It seems like they connected another building to the original building but kept the same number of elevators.

The service was not great. A lot of employees just didn't seem to care. There was no concierge available at the desk most of the time and trying to book a car service to the airport through the hotel was a bit of a challenge.

Lounge was fine and there is a breakfast buffet upstairs as well.
Thanks! Pretty dismal picture. Thanks so much!!
Old Oct 2, 2023, 10:25 am

Does the Club Lounge have a breakfast offering or is it just soft drinks throughout the day, and an evening spread with drinks?
Old Oct 2, 2023, 12:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Does the Club Lounge have a breakfast offering or is it just soft drinks throughout the day, and an evening spread with drinks?
I know they had food and drinks through the afternoon, so I think (not 100% sure) they had breakfast available as well. I'm not sure about the evenings but I would guess there are some food items available.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by jchiang53
I know they had food and drinks through the afternoon, so I think (not 100% sure) they had breakfast available as well. I'm not sure about the evenings but I would guess there are some food items available.
They have rates for breakfast that exceed the standard rates for club rooms, so my guess is breakfast is not included.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 11:55 am

So it seems like this hotel isn't a great idea for a 2-night stay? Sounds like there are multiple issues with room maintenance, service and location - the comment above about not being walkable to anything and taxis charging 2-3x normal rates to go to this hotel makes me think it isn't a great idea...
Old Jan 10, 2024, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by slariz
So it seems like this hotel isn't a great idea for a 2-night stay? Sounds like there are multiple issues with room maintenance, service and location - the comment above about not being walkable to anything and taxis charging 2-3x normal rates to go to this hotel makes me think it isn't a great idea...
I think your deduction is correct. There are much better hotels..... many of them just opening in the last few years as well as some wonderful well established.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 1:55 pm

I highly recommend the Grande Bretagne. Exceptional service, and great location.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:02 pm

I think your deduction is correct. There are much better hotels..... many of them just opening in the last few years as well as some wonderful well established.
Thanks! The rates for our dates are pretty cheap compared to other hotels but I guess that probably reflects the overall situation. The Hyatt options here are lacking, and I try to stay with them as much as I can to use Globalist benefits, but perhaps it isn't worth it for even 2 nights. I can put up with a lot to maintain Globalist status!

I highly recommend the Grande Bretagne. Exceptional service, and great location.
Yeah I bet it is! Certainly at those rates... not sure it is a fair comparison. They aren't even in the same galaxy, let alone ballpark for price comparisons.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:18 pm

Thanks! The rates for our dates are pretty cheap compared to other hotels but I guess that probably reflects the overall situation. The Hyatt options here are lacking, and I try to stay with them as much as I can to use Globalist benefits, but perhaps it isn't worth it for even 2 nights. I can put up with a lot to maintain Globalist status!
I have always felt that stays in Athens first should be considered for location and comfort ....secondary is allegiance to a brand. As you can see the Hyatt options are lacking and you will lose out on some of the joys, experiences and comforts by trying to stay " loyal".
Old Jan 10, 2024, 4:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
<snip>... you will lose out on some of the joys, experiences and comforts by trying to stay " loyal".
People literally do that everyday, all over the world, in the relentless pursuit of maintaining status. It's hardly unique to Athens...

Regards
TGLoyalty likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.