Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Need some input from my fellow globalists...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:20 am
Original Poster

My brother just got married and is flying to Hawaii for his honeymoon. I told him I would book him his hotel on my points as a wedding gift and he'll get the upgraded suite using one of my suite upgrades. I made the reservation for regular room using my points and then I called up customer service to change the name on reservation to his name. They did that no problem, but they told me that they can't apply the suite upgrade certificate to his name anymore since that can only be applied to my reservations under my name.
name. She double checked to make sure that was the rule and she said that it was.

My question is, I want to guarantee he gets the suite when he shows up, and not up to their discretion to upgrade him. So should I just cancel that reservation now, rebook one, add my certificate to my name for suite upgrade and then call up the hotel to add his name as an additional so that he can check in to the suite when he arrives there?

Any input is appreciated, thanks.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
You could just make the reservation under your name, give him a piece of ID and one of your CC's, good trip!

Alternatively you can make the reservation for him as Guest of Honor and hope he gets a suite upgrade on arrival but that's tough in Hawaii.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Book a suite with points to ensure he gets it.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titainum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Delta Diamond
To make sure he gets it 100% either book a suite outright (with points or paid upgrade). Or, do the reservation under your name with TSU and add him as a second guest. Of course, with #2 while a suite will be guaranteed, him being able to check in is not.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:04 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by shakim
Or, do the reservation under your name with TSU and add him as a second guest. Of course, with #2 while a suite will be guaranteed, him being able to check in is not.
Contact the hotel and explain that the #2 guest will arrive before you. Ask that he be allowed to check in when he arrives.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Especially with same last name, I've never had that be a problem.
bbbb likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
What about Guest of Honor?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
You could just make the reservation under your name, give him a piece of ID and one of your CC's, good trip!
Awesome - why didnt I think of starting my honeymoon by committing fraud.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff

for honeymoon fraud, look no further than Hymen Shop - Artificial Hymen for only $29.95 with FREE Worldwide Delivery!
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Biggamer3
My brother just got married and is flying to Hawaii for his honeymoon. I told him I would book him his hotel on my points as a wedding gift and he'll get the upgraded suite using one of my suite upgrades. I made the reservation for regular room using my points and then I called up customer service to change the name on reservation to his name. They did that no problem, but they told me that they can't apply the suite upgrade certificate to his name anymore since that can only be applied to my reservations under my name.
name. She double checked to make sure that was the rule and she said that it was.

My question is, I want to guarantee he gets the suite when he shows up, and not up to their discretion to upgrade him. So should I just cancel that reservation now, rebook one, add my certificate to my name for suite upgrade and then call up the hotel to add his name as an additional so that he can check in to the suite when he arrives there?

This is really a stupid WoH rule. I know many globalists that have their suite upgrades go to waste. Hope this is the next item of business on their agenda to improve the program!!!
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Nobody's perfect!
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mstrbldr
This is really a stupid WoH rule. I know many globalists that have their suite upgrades go to waste. Hope this is the next item of business on their agenda to improve the program!!!
Guest of Honor is already a pretty decent perk. I'm not aware of other chains allowing you to transfer elite benefits to a third party for an award stay.

Somewhere you have to draw the line. You want to reward the member who is truly loyal and perhaps those near and dear. Leave things too loose and you end up with "can you guest me into Lounge ABC on Day X" or "Suite upgrades for sale" threads all over the Hyatt board. (which frankly is what Hilton Honors is for! )
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Biggamer3

just add his name to reservation
Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by krispykrme

just add his name to reservation
I'm sure the OP's brother's honeymoon would get off to a fabulous start if the check-in agent asks why the Globalist member is sharing a room with the happy couple on their honeymoon...

Yes, it can be done. Yes it often works. But sometimes you have to weigh the upsides and downsides of a specific situation.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Contact the hotel and explain that the #2 guest will arrive before you. Ask that he be allowed to check in when he arrives.
This. Hopefully previous agent didnt note the account but sounds like the reservation was already changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.