Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Here we go again. 20-night Globalist for Hyatt credit cardholders.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Here we go again. 20-night Globalist for Hyatt credit cardholders.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:02 am

Programs: JAL Global Club; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite; World of Hyatt Globalist
Once completed, how much time it takes to reflect the renewed status?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Exactly. Hyatt CC is basically useless now unless you can use a $75 night at a Cat 1-4. Which can’t be used at most of the resorts.
That's a big "unless". I'm guessing most Hyatists stay in at least one Cat 1-4 during the course of a year.

Also, the Hyatt CC gets more points, which has value unless you have another card that does better still.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JackE
That's a big "unless". I'm guessing most Hyatists stay in at least one Cat 1-4 during the course of a year.

Also, the Hyatt CC gets more points, which has value unless you have another card that does better still.
There's also various promos for CC holders, such as point rebates and status fast tracking.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by rigel
Once completed, how much time it takes to reflect the renewed status?
As soon as the stay credit posts.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat

I'll take that bet - most years I never stay in a Cat 1-4 for leisure travel - I need unrestricted free nights at resorts and expensive cities, not time-limited certs for suburban HPs or airport HRs. That's what makes the Chase IC card so much better - free nights are good at all properties and expiration can be stretched over 2 years if you book in year 1.

The CSR blows away Hyatt with 3x travel and 3x dining though annual fee is 2x higher ($150 net) - and if desired you can transfer points to Hyatt. Would also contend that SPG points > Hyatt so Amex SPG is better for everyday spend.

However if Hyatt card benefits included a guaranteed fast track to Glob/Expl status (as opposed to one time promo) it would make the card a lot more attractive and comparable to new Amex HHilton (and to a lesser extent Amex SPG and Chase Marriott/RC).
Old Nov 18, 2017, 4:12 pm

However if Hyatt card benefits included a guaranteed fast track to Glob/Expl status (as opposed to one time promo) it would make the card a lot more attractive and comparable to new Amex HHilton (and to a lesser extent Amex SPG and Chase Marriott/RC).
Totally agree. And attractive to Chase and Hyatt if the fast track could only be achieved with stays paid for with the Hyatt card.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
I'll take that bet - most years I never stay in a Cat 1-4 for leisure travel - I need unrestricted free nights at resorts and expensive cities, not time-limited certs for suburban HPs or airport HRs. That's what makes the Chase IC card so much better - free nights are good at all properties and expiration can be stretched over 2 years if you book in year 1.

The CSR blows away Hyatt with 3x travel and 3x dining though annual fee is 2x higher ($150 net) - and if desired you can transfer points to Hyatt. Would also contend that SPG points > Hyatt so Amex SPG is better for everyday spend.

So when you get Category 4 nights, you just let them expire?

Agree that guaranteed fast-track would be a great solution.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:21 pm

I don't want status tied to a credit card in any way... spend, accelerated earn, etc. They COULD make the Hyatt card earn 5x on Hyatt stays though. That would make it a bit more attractive.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:38 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
happens to me as those nights also don’t help with status. I have 3 free nights with the earliest expiry in the second week of Jan. So next year I’d need 63 nights to maintain Globalist assuming I complete this 20 night promo.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Yes, unfortunately this has happened to me with Hyatt. Marriott (Cat 1-5) and Carlson free nights.

Unlike most of the bloggers my leisure travel is limited by school vacation dates and family commitments. For me the ideal locations for free night certs would be Napa, San Luis Obispo, Tahoe - none have low tier properties. I think the East Coast/Midwest has more useful options for Cat 1-4 like Chicago, Washington DC (where I used one last month) and there are great options overseas.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by nhwiki
WOH is circling the drain, folks.
No question. WoH is poorly designed; so much so that it is a disincentive for me.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
The CSR blows away Hyatt with 3x travel and 3x dining though annual fee is 2x higher ($150 net) - and if desired you can transfer points to Hyatt.
CSR also has an additional 75$ fee for authorized users, and the only pt difference is 3x on dining for CSR vs 2x on dining for Chase Hyatt.

For me, the CSR actually doesn't make sense - I only dine out when traveling, and then, half of that is at the Hyatt anyways (where I get 3x points on the Chase Hyatt card anyways), so the pt advantage on dining isn't that large for me. I don't care about the flexibility of Ultimate Rewards because I am pretty much a 1-brand guy right now and they would all become WoH points anyways. I get a better suite of 'elite travel benefits' with my Aadvantage card which has more direct travel insurances with AA and perks with AA which is the only airline I use (as they are the only airline to serve my airport), (and I get admirals club access which for me is much more valuable than priority pass anyways), So, really, for me, it was is the 150$ worth the extra point on dining as nothing else in the card is of much if any additional value from what I get from my Chase Hyatt + Citi Aadvantage exec card anyways. During the 'extra 40% pts promo' with WoH when you can buy pts for 1.7 cents apeice, I can buy 8800 pts for 150$ - I sure don't spend $8,800 a year on dining. So, then it was could I accept exchanging my Citi Aadvantage elite benefits for CSR elite benefits and get a Citi Aadvantage platinum instead for free baggage check, and the math is a little better but not god enough to exchange the admirals club network and fringe benefits with priority pass. But, I wouldn't exchange the Chase Hyatt for anythings because of the special promos it comes with (and worse case, my Cat1-4 is easily used quite flexibly at GH DFW which is nice hotel that is often 250-350$ a night).

So, if Chase Hyatt card becomes better, then great, but for me, it is competitive enough that it is my go-to card. The 10,000 bonus points I rack up a month or so gets well used (usually as cash+pt stays at more than 3 cents/pt).

Last edited by MarkOK; Nov 20, 2017 at 10:49 am
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by MarkOK
CSR also has an additional 75$ fee for authorized users, and the only pt difference is 3x on dining for CSR vs 2x on dining for

For me, the CSR actually doesn't make sense - I only dine out when traveling, and then, half of that is at the Hyatt anyways (where I on the Chase Hyatt card anyways), so the pt advantage on dining isn't that large for me. I don't care about the flexibility of Ultimate Rewards because I am pretty much a 1-brand guy right now and they would all become WoH points anyways. I get a better suite of 'elite travel benefits' with my Aadvantage card which has more direct travel insurances with AA and perks with AA which is the only airline I use (as they are the only airline to serve my airport), (and I get admirals club access which for me is much more valuable than priority pass anyways), So, really, for me, it was is the 150$ worth the extra point on dining as I nothing else in the card is of much if any additional value from what I get from my Chase Hyatt + Citi Aadvantage exec card anyways. During the 'extra 40% pts promo' with WoH when you can buy pts for 1.7 cents apeice, I can buy 8800 pts for 150$ - I sure don't spend $8,800 a year on dining. So, then it was could I accept exchanging my Citi Aadvantage elite benefits for CSR elite benefits and get a Citi Aadvantage platinum instead for free baggage check, and the math is aanythings because of the special promos it comes with (and worse case, my Cat1-4 is easily used quite flexibly at GH DFW which is nice hotel that is often 250-350

So, if Chase Hyatt card becomes better, then great, but for me, it is competitive enough that it is my go-to card. The 10,000 bonus points I rack up a month or so gets well used (usually as cash+pt stays at more than 3 cents/pt).

I for one have now completely ditched Hyatt cars.
1. The $150 fee gets credit back if I book travel with CSR.

2. I don’t need extra Hyatt points nor have problem clearing Globalist every year.

3. CSR point is so useful (especially transferring to UA so I can cheaply upgrade my wife to business)
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Thanks. That gives me some hope that I won’t have a battle ahead. I’m doing the whole 20 nights on a single long-term stay, so I wouldn’t expect any intermediate emails (e.g., Explorist) along the way. (I assume I won’t get any notification or change in status until after checking out on Day 30, and not when I hit the 20 nights.)
Just following up from a couple weeks ago, I recently checked out of a 30-night stay and a day later received, one minute apart, "Welcome to another year of Explorist" and then "Welcome to Globalist" emails, so my promo registration obviously worked even though I never received any confirmation thereof.

My next trip is to a country with zero Hyatts and I'm hoping not to travel for the Christmas/New Year's week, so it looks like I'll finish the year at 55 nights. Trying to decide if I should make an effort to stay those 5 nights to attain "real" Globalist.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: Hyatt GP Diamond
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Just following up from a couple weeks ago, I recently checked out of a 30-night stay and a day later received, one minute apart, "Welcome to another year of Explorist" and then "Welcome to Globalist" emails, so my promo registration obviously worked even though I never received any confirmation thereof.

My next trip is to a country with zero Hyatts and I'm hoping not to travel for the Christmas/New Year's week, so it looks like I'll finish the year at 55 nights. Trying to decide if I should make an effort to stay those 5 nights to attain "real" Globalist.
Sorry if this has been covered already but speaking of real vs lite Globalist status - I had pretty much written off the new WOH program this yr. Now I'm debating whether to mattress run 7 or so nights to make the 20 nights/Globalist lite promo. Like many others here, I found the greatest value of Globalist/Diamond status in the guaranteed suite upgrades for leisure/family travel.

Am I correct in assuming that the 20 nite/Globalist promo does not grant the suite upgrades or free night awards and just gets you the free breakfast, late checkout and upgrade to suites based upon availability?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.