Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Sydney REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Sydney REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2024, 10:31 am

Programs: AA PP, UA Platinum/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond
With the strong US$ and low season in Australia, the rates at the HR Sydney and PH Sydney are quite good right now. But when I was looking, the PH Sydney was still 2x HR Sydney. And based on the reviews in the PH Sydney thread, it appears that if you want the Opera House view, you need to book that room type. At which point the difference becomes more than 2x. Also factor in that if there are cruise ships scheduled that overlap with your stay, your view will be blocked.

So I still think the HR Sydney is a pretty good value, as the water views are quite nice (though certainly not as iconic as PH Sydney) and conveniently and centrally located. The fireworks is a bonus, since you’ll have front row seats from your room.
Old May 18, 2024, 3:25 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
So I still think the HR Sydney is a pretty good value, as the water views are quite nice (though certainly not as iconic as PH Sydney) and conveniently and centrally located.
I realized I didnt actually know much about the PH Sydney and reviewed that thread after reading your post. Now I dont feel as bad about staying at the Hyatt! Seems like it can be hit or miss at the PH and at least I got a great value at the HR. I suppose Id pick the HR again in light of that info.
Old May 18, 2024, 9:23 am

Programs: QF WP, WoH Glob, Accor Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Oh you American's and your strong US dollar!

In the local currency, the hotel rate for HR Sydney has increased 50% since pre-COVID - even on my corporate rate. Which makes it quite poor value as it is slightly worse now due to the reduced sized club lounge and re-categorised 'standard' suites.
Old May 21, 2024, 5:46 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I spent a night at the HR Sydney for my 2nd stay here - the breakfast continues to be the main draw for me here in addition to cheaper rates compared to the Hilton or many of the Marriott properties. Its not perfect, but I would not refuse to return for a third time. Here was my experience:

Cons:
  • Upgrade nonsense - before arrival, I had been upgraded to a Harbour View Club Access - I had to ask if any suites were available - they would only give a Studio Suite as that is the highest complimentary upgrade - dont understand that as the Executive Suite was available when I checked earlier in the day and is listed as a standard suite
  • The Studio Suite they gave me had a stuffy smell and was quite hot with poor AC - it got hotter as I was in there - moved to a standard Harbour View on the other side of the building (the key had been inserted before I got there, so it wasnt a power issue)
  • Standard sized room is very compact with not much storage - bathroom is also quite small
  • Half-glass in shower leads to bathroom flooding
  • Exterior of the window was dirty
  • No in-room Globalist welcome gift

Pros:
  • Bed is generally comfortable - covers in this room looked thicker than the Studio Suite, which had different style linens - mattress is decently plush, some of the pillows were plush, covers were thick-ish enough to not be cold
  • Shower pressure is fantastic and strong
  • Standard room has automated blinds and a good view
  • Offered late checkout - no issue with 4 PM
  • Restaurant breakfast is very good - delicious fresh pancakes and omelets, such good chocolate chip muffins, fresh berry and banana smoothie
  • Lounge is decent - had chocolate tarts in the evening

Photos:

River in Sight likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 6:28 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I spent a night at the HR Sydney for my 2nd stay here - the breakfast continues to be the main draw for me here in addition to cheaper rates compared to the Hilton or many of the Marriott properties. Its not perfect, but I would not refuse to return for a third time. Here was my experience:
Unable to 'like'. Thanks for the review. Agree on the strong breakfast and decent overall value of the property.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
Unable to 'like'. Thanks for the review. Agree on the strong breakfast and decent overall value of the property.
+1 on both unable to like and appreciate the review. Also agree that the property offers a good overall offering.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2024, 12:30 am

Stayed here recently and can confirm the globalist breakfast can only be had in the club room. Was told if I wanted to have breakfast at the Sailmaker restaurant downstairs, I would have to pay 50% of the full breakfast cost.

Last edited by benji7; Jun 4, 2024 at 5:19 am
Old Jun 4, 2024, 2:06 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
We have different experiences here - can anyone confirm if globalists is club only breakfast. Last poster had to pay 50% upcharge for breakfast in restaurant, unclear to me if the people saying the breakfasts here are good paid or had it upgraded for free?

Coming to Sydney in October and deciding between here and Sheraton. I'll stay at Sheraton for 3 nights for a conference bit was thinking of adding 2 nights either here or Sheraton. But Sheratons breakfast is great and that's important to me
Old Jun 4, 2024, 5:18 am

They noted that the globalist breakfast in club room rule was effective from 1st June so Im guessing previous experiences would have had the option to have breakfast in the restaurant downstairs
SHLTP likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2024, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by benji7
They noted that the globalist breakfast in club room rule was effective from 1st June so Im guessing previous experiences would have had the option to have breakfast in the restaurant downstairs
Well that is sad to hear.

The club is pretty small so if they are forcing all Globalists to have breakfast there it might get busy/crowded like it does in the evenings.

I hope they dont cut the made to order eggs option in the club.
Old Jun 4, 2024, 10:31 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
That is very disappointing and basically cuts any real reason to stay here vs. the Sheraton in my book.
Old Jun 4, 2024, 10:55 am

That is very disappointing and basically cuts any real reason to stay here vs. the Sheraton in my book.
Unless Sheraton starts devaluing their offerings. Hilton started it, now Hyatt. Marriott next?

Though to be fair, Hilton is actually breaking the rules, since Diamonds are supposed to be able to use the lounge or the restaurant. Hyatt on the other hand had nice offer for Globalists to use the restaurant.
Old Jun 4, 2024, 11:12 am

Unless Sheraton starts devaluing their offerings. Hilton started it, now Hyatt. Marriott next?

Though to be fair, Hilton is actually breaking the rules, since Diamonds are supposed to be able to use the lounge or the restaurant. Hyatt on the other hand had nice offer for Globalists to use the restaurant.
Restaurant breakfast should always be a welcome gift choice at the Sheraton - based on the way the property is run, I dont imagine that the Sheraton will suddenly become anti-Elite. Honestly, despite its challenges, I would stay at the W over a club-only HR as the W breakfast in the restaurant was sublime.

I was willing to overlook challenges with the HR (mainly upgrade nonsense - I dont think they try as hard as they should on these) and small room sizes due to the good breakfast value compared to the room rate. With that gone, my calculus for Sydney changes. Its the same with GH Melbourne - a generally decent / good hotel marred by restrictive breakfast policies.
Old Jun 4, 2024, 12:12 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

100% Agreed.
Hyatt is killing off much of my business all over the world as a result.
Granted some hotels are doing better than that.
Hyatt Regency London has as one example finally gotten smart giving guest choice
However I'm still saving hundreds a night elsewhere and have club and restaurant with that other H brand abroad

The W and the Sheraton locally in SYD simply demolish the breakfast at Hyatt Regency Sydney in quality and variety.
The price point is typically around the same and the accommodations better so they are foolish to impose any limitations
These are just poor ownership decisions.The shrinking of the club etc
All that said even with the limitations of the Sydney Regency Club its still better than their restaurant
They made a good omelette there when I visited in April
But a week of that would have me miserable
Marriott rules that market sadly.And I'm not a Bovoy fan normally.
Old Jun 4, 2024, 12:21 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

The Sheraton went the complete opposite direction of the Hyatt R SYD
They now run a gorgeous lounge as they always have and open up a second lounge on the ground floor if busy at night (typically weekend nights)
Previously there was an up charge to have the buffet and made to order eggs in the restaurant now its have whatever you wish no cost
if elite Plat or higher.Sometimes we would choose one or both same mornings finishing up coffee and tea in the lounge if the restaurant was busy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.