Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum (LTG), Hilton Gold, United 1K, AA EXP, AS MVP 75K
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Did they completely disallow any late checkout? Not even 2 pm?

Hopefully they will be more flexible when the hotel is not full, as it must be right now. In about 30 stays as Dia/Gob HR Kyoto never denied us a 4 pm checkout (although we were asked to change room once), and before that we always were granted 2 pm in about 10 stays as Plat, but of course the HR has a lot more rooms.
I was offered 1pm checkout. They did say peak season was a factor although I imagine given the size of the hotel, it will be full quite often regardless of season. I would note that I upgraded to a Park Suite and I’m checking out on New Year’s Eve.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:53 am

I used cash and then points to upgrade to a premium suite (room upgrade on paid nights). The reservation says rate: upgrade to premium suite, room: Higashiyama Suite. That suite is now labeled a specialty suite on the website. Am I likely to have a problem?
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:54 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aventine
Mark de Leeuwerk.
I felt he was quite capable in his previous assignment as director of rooms at Park Hyatt Tokyo. Hopefully, he will be responsive when you get in contact.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by tigerwong
I was offered 1pm checkout. They did say peak season was a factor although I imagine given the size of the hotel, it will be full quite often regardless of season. I would note that I upgraded to a Park Suite and I’m checking out on New Year’s Eve.
1pm is pretty bad for Glob.

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Hopefully they will be more flexible when the hotel is not full, as it must be right now. In about 30 stays as Dia/Gob HR Kyoto never denied us a 4 pm checkout (although we were asked to change room once), and before that we always were granted 2 pm in about 10 stays as Plat, but of course the HR has a lot more rooms.
HR Kyoto didn't even give us 2pm last time and I had 3 rooms booked, and they had availability the following night for two of our room types.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd
I used cash and then points to upgrade to a premium suite (room upgrade on paid nights). The reservation says rate: upgrade to premium suite, room: Higashiyama Suite. That suite is now labeled a specialty suite on the website. Am I likely to have a problem?
They changed the premium suite to the other named suite the Ninenzaka House Suite its the same size as the park suite. If you booked before the middle of oct you should be fine. Regardless if your reservation has a named suite they will give you that room. Ask for the one on the 3rd floor as it will have a better view. If you have any questions in gen let me know as I stayed there at the start of the month.
richarddd likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I felt he was quite capable in his previous assignment as director of rooms at Park Hyatt Tokyo. Hopefully, he will be responsive when you get in contact.
I wasn't a fan when he was Hotel Manager there.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Of course you SHOULD have no problem. However, the staff here are proving to be less than fully competent, so you should be prepared. You may have to ask for someone higher up at checkin, and if they have actually given the Higashiyama Suite to someone else, you should be prepared re what you would want in compensation. If it were me, I would be satisfied with getting the Ninenzaka Suite (which is now the premium suite) and the return of all of the points used for the upgrade.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 9:03 pm

We're scheduled to stay in about two weeks. Yesterday I got an email from the hotel asking what time we would arrive and about our preferences. I replied later in the day, including asking them to make a reservation at a Kyoto temple we wanted to see. They responded this morning (unfortunately, it seems the temple wants more than two weeks notice). I also asked for something to show taxi drivers to make sure they drove us to the right place. They sent what looks like a Japanese Google maps screenshot.

This seems more responsive than others have reported.
In case the taxi driver does not know where PH Kyoto is, just ask him to go to "Kyoyamato in Higashiyama (京大和)".

I stayed at PH Kyoto 2 weeks ago and I drove there. The GPS system had not yet updated for Park Hyatt Kyoto and I had to search for Kyoyamato instead.
hailstorm likes this.

Last edited by Justin Choi; Dec 29, 2019 at 3:32 am
Old Dec 28, 2019, 9:13 pm

My advice... My experience is that the GPS in Japan has not been updated for Park Hyatt Kyoto. If you encounter any difficulty in getting there (by taxi or driving), use the location of "Kyoyamato" in Higashiyama instead. PH Kyoto is located at the same site as Kyoyamato anyway.

Kyoyamato 京大和
Tel. 075-525-1555
Mapcode: 7 589 453*82
Old Dec 29, 2019, 2:05 am

This is what the hotel sent me for taxi drivers:

Old Dec 29, 2019, 3:34 am

It's fine but remember the restaurant "Kyoyamato" just in case.
richarddd likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 11:13 am

I searched the post by keyword "guest of honor" and didn't get any returns. If I book this hotel with guest of honor thing, do I get a good chance for a room upgrade and free breakfast? I never done a goh booking so I don't know what the chances of upgrades are.

Last edited by mataushas; Dec 30, 2019 at 11:22 am
Old Dec 30, 2019, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mataushas
I searched the post by keyword "guest of honor" and didn't get any returns. If I book this hotel with guest of honor thing, do I get a good chance for a room upgrade and free breakfast? I never done a goh booking so I don't know what the chances of upgrades are.
I don't see why that would be any different from a Globalist booking.

I believe someone in this thread has done so, but may have used "GoH" or such. Unfortunately, three letter words cannot be searched on Flyertalk.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by hailstorm
I don't see why that would be any different from a Globalist booking.

I believe someone in this thread has done so, but may have used "GoH" or such. Unfortunately, three letter words cannot be searched on Flyertalk.
Just FYI, you can "force" certain 'disallowed' search terms by using quotation marks around the search term. There was one mention in this thread of GoH prior to these posts, by OsakaWino here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31807311-post418.html
hailstorm likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Justin Choi
It's fine but remember the restaurant "Kyoyamato" just in case.
Will do. Also, unless I messed up, this screenshot from the Hyatt app should be the hotel name and address in Japanese.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.