Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Huge changes coming to Gold Passport [1 Mar 17]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Huge changes coming to Gold Passport [1 Mar 17]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by olouie
Why bother doing that massive status match last year and then try and kick out lots of diamonds? I easily do 80+ nights a year in hotels but after this there is little reason to pick Hyatt above Marriott/SPG as the Hyatt footprint cannot compare at all. They are missing huge areas where they have zero hotels.
Agree 100%!

I would really have to go out of my way to find 60 nights with Hyatt next year.
I do have lifteime platinum with SPG, so if that ports over to lifetime with Marriott...Hyatt might still be in play.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gamecock
I am one of those who status matched last year after I felt SPG lost the marketing niche that had appealed to me.

The Hyatt ranks were certainly swollen, but how many of those were sticking around and requaling this year anyway? How many stayed at maybe one or two properties and then went back to their original program. A lot I think. Many were doing it just for the novelty of having another piece of plastic in our wallets.

Others, myself included, were doing it because we were disgruntled and looking for another loyalty program. I am, was, very happy with Hyatt, even though most of my stays were with Hyatt Place.

I'll see how this is handled, but like I said upstream, and as much as I hate it, Hilton may just be the best option for me in the future. Even mid-tiers there get a free breakfast.
Some folks simply offered to book others using their status to give the non-elite Diamond benefits and some even paid a nominal amount say $25-50 of the rate as well , in order to requalify for Diamond. That probably wont bear out the same fruit it has in the past especially if that person will now have to spend apx $3k themselves

I think they gave away Diamond hoping to draw in the top elites from the other Chains, who werent too happy any longer with how things changed . In the end Hyatt probably only got a small handful of top spenders that they already didnt have and now needed a way to get rid of those folks, since they were a drain on the bottom line (which Im probably 1, once MR was taking over SPG and having LT Plat with MR it meant no longer having to requalify for SPG Plat, so I gave Hyatt a shot.)

I cant help but feel that when they saw the abuse that was going on and the pettiness of alot of the new Diamonds they realzied what a great mistake they had made, and never thought so many folks would be gaming the system at such a top chain program. Its 1 thing if a person was looking for compensation to be made whole, its something else when they would game it to profit from it well beyond being made whole
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:25 am

If these rumors are true then meeting 60 nights in a year becomes very hard to do. I've been a loyal diamond member for almost 8 years now and often come close to 50 nights but with the limited footprint of Hyatt this becomes hard to do. If their footprint was larger I could easily meet this since I spend close to 100 nights a year on business and personal travel.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Platinum
I just logged into my diamond account and it's funny to see

"DIAMOND MEMBERSHIP IS REWARDING
Every stay offers free premium Internet; Club access, including breakfast; and more."
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bsdstone
I would really have to go out of my way to find 60 nights with Hyatt next year.
It would be considerably easier with SPG/Marriott due to their footprint.

I do around 60 nights a year, but I can't do them all at Hyatt due to the massive holes in their coverage, particularly in Europe and latin america.

They will regret this, just as UA regretted chasing away its 1Ks while fawning over GS.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pkrjp
In my opinion, the comparison to airline loyalty programs isn't exactly apples to apples. So much of the loyalty equation with an airline depends on where you live. If you live in ATL, you likely fly Delta, DFW you fly American and IAH you fly United. You aren't necessarily loyal because you prefer United over Delta, but rather because XYZ airline offers more non-stop options from where you live.

But with Hyatt, it seems that many of us are willing to go out of our way (literally, due to the limited footprint) to stay at a Hyatt for the stay credit due to the strong loyalty program. Isn't that the point of the loyalty programs? To drive the desired consumer behavior in a way that increases revenue? It's more convenient for me to use other chains, but I don't due to Hyatt's loyalty program, and therefore Hyatt earns more revenue from me as a result of their loyalty program.

If these rumored changes are indeed going to happen, I can't justify going out of my way to give Hyatt my money just to earn status that is no better than other hotel chains.
I live 15 mins from EWR and really only use it when flying Intl on a UA award tkt. I do drive the 2 hrs to PHL a # of times a year since fares are alot cheaper from there or JFK/LGA. I do know many people who simply suck it up and paid UA whatever it asked for and werent willing to go elsewhere

About HGP I think what you posted is true about what they were looking to gain, but could be after sitting down and crunching the #s they realzied they gained little to nothing as the $$ werent flowing out of the newly made Diamonds. I almost never eat at a hotels restaurant or drink at its bar/lounge if Im paying for it and Id imagine the same applys to many new Diamonds, They rolled the dice and it came up snake-eyes for the most part, now HGP needed to find a way to get rid of all those 1000s or 10s of 1000s that they attracted and are a drain on the program. Id say the new changes will do just that = having a much smaller top elite level with for the most part each member adding to the bottom line and less time needed to console the gamers
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by olouie
Why bother doing that massive status match last year and then try and kick out lots of diamonds? I easily do 80+ nights a year in hotels but after this there is little reason to pick Hyatt above Marriott/SPG as the Hyatt footprint cannot compare at all. They are missing huge areas where they have zero hotels.
I have done about 160 nights so far this year and was lucky to get 30 of them with Hyatt--and some of those nights to be honest, I was staying at a Starwood but also had a reservation at a Hyatt to try them out. I go to LA a lot and the Hyatt footprint there is terrible. West Hollywood is not a bad location but I lose out on the Uber points if I stay there and only having one real choice in a desirable area is not great. Points reservations don't count towards status and cash and points is rarely available on the weekends. With Starwood/Marriott I have hotels all over the city at all price points. I made an effort to stay at Hyatts based on the fear that Marriott would gut the program. At least so far, things have improved. Thus Hyatt does little for me. It is just not worth the effort to try to find a time when you can actually find a room available at a reasonable price in a location that is convenient. My stays are usually also one or two nights so I only used 2 DSUs. If I redeem all my points next year, I won't be able to use them for those redemptions either unless I can find cash and points available.

Hyatt lured me in and I had some good experiences but then the door gets slammed and I have an improved SPG/Marriott program waiting. I already have LT Platinum on Starwood but now have an Ambassador giving me a further incentive to abandon Hyatt. With the smallest footprint, Hyatt should really be giving people more reason to stay with them, not less.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: Globallist
Originally Posted by westlaker
I just logged into my diamond account and it's funny to see

"DIAMOND MEMBERSHIP IS REWARDING
Every stay offers free premium Internet; Club access, including breakfast; and more."
LOVE me some HYATT, Diamond Status will be a MISS. I'm requal for for 2017........I cannot get to 60 a year, will need to look for another program, WANT TOP TIER, no matter what brand I support. Have been a HYATT DIAMOND LOYALIST for 6 years........BOO
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
coming soon: http://www.worldofhyatt.com
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee

They will regret this, just as UA regretted chasing away its 1Ks while fawning over GS.
I disagree 1- I dont believe UA regrets doing what it did, it ridded itself of tons of gamers and thusly could (should have) taken better care of those 1Ks who add to the bottom line. Heck they are now even charging fees to Plats

2- Hyatt wont regret it either, if anything those with the Spend or nights should see an increase in what they get, if not like UA then Hyatt will lose. UA wanted to take w/o giving anything in return. Seems Haytt is trying to do the opposite, to those who matter most, those spending the $$$, time will tell

But like the airlines , the game isnt what it once was and the fat lady is warming up in the Hotel corner, which started with Hiltons massive downgradings
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:48 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I for one am really excited about these changes. I have been quite disappointed that there is no level of status for Hyatt beyond 50 nights.

There is very little incentive to keep staying. I am also lucky that my travel patterns allow me to easily spend 60 nights in a Hyatt.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:51 am

As others have said, this will unfortunately be the end of loyalty to Hyatt. They just don't have the footprint necessary for this. I stay way more than 60 nights a year in hotels -- but there simply aren't enough Hyatts to get me to 60 nights. I choose Hyatt whenever I can -- even sometimes when it means staying a bit further away or paying a bit more -- but even stretching that to the limits I won't hit 60. Without the benefits I receive for hitting the 25 stays I hit right now, it won't be worth seeking out Hyatt at all. My award stays will likely still be with Hyatt due to the ability to rack up URs and transfer for better value per point than anyone else, but my paid stays will go to Hilton. Gold from a CC gets me breakfast. Matched Diamond has been getting me lounge access and some decent room upgrades. I can trip over a Hilton anywhere I turn, so getting the 5 extra stays to hit 30 for Diamond status would be simple, as would spending $40k/year on one of their CCs. I'm sure some will say I'm crazy, but Hilton has treated me very well with my matched Diamond status over the past year. The DSUs, lounge access / nice breakfasts, and 4pm guaranteed checkout were what kept me seeking out Hyatts. That said, the Conrad Dubai gave me a 6pm late checkout last year when I only asked for 2pm (they asked what time my flight was and automatically offered a later checkout since my flight was late). On the flip side, I've had to argue for late checkout at a few Hyatt Place/House properties this year in addition to the expected resistance at the Andaz Maui (though I did get 4pm on one of my 3 rooms at least).

In the end, I know these programs will constantly change. I'm not surprised to see a change in this direction from a hotel program -- I'm just surprised to see it from a program with this tiny a footprint. I'm constantly surprised by the lack of a Hyatt in cities that are plenty big enough to have one.

My one disappointment in this is that I did specifically qualify this year with plans in mind for the DSUs/Diamond benefits next year. I would be incredibly bitter if Hyatt does not honor the terms under which I qualified for the status I've got through February 2018. I hope that isn't their intention.

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Platinum, Packer Owner
Boo, Indeed!

Originally Posted by creativeguess1
LOVE me some HYATT, Diamond Status will be a MISS. I'm requal for for 2017........I cannot get to 60 a year, will need to look for another program, WANT TOP TIER, no matter what brand I support. Have been a HYATT DIAMOND LOYALIST for 6 years........BOO
+1

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by creativeguess1
Hilton has (for now) a top tier of less than 60 nights as it allows for stays as well. http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/explor...its/index.html

No news when or what Marriott will do with the SPG requalifications but it looks like 25 stays will still get you plat into 2018for now. This is all going to crash when the Marriott qualifications (75 nights) take over.

This game is becoming less and less fun.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Names alone make me very hesitant to pursue that..
"Thank you for being a loyal globalist, mr. ..."
Hell no..

As much as i like hyatt I already struggle with brand loyalty vs just going on price + buying up perks as needed...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.