Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Huge changes coming to Gold Passport [1 Mar 17]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Huge changes coming to Gold Passport [1 Mar 17]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; VS Gold; IHG Spire Royal Ambassador; Hyatt Diamond; HHonors Diamond; M Life Plat
So keeping up Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Spire RA will be near impossible for me then.

Really hope that re-qualified diamonds that expire March 1st 2018 will still get their benefits and or top tier of this new program. It's going to be sad if they remove key benefits like DSUs, breakfast, and others without any notice prior to qualification
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Actually agree mostly with you, but many folks just don't stay 60+ nights per year. It folks like me want to split programs. Yes you will better reward those that stay 60+ nights but you in the same breath alienate or chase away those that stay less. IMO there are more latter customers so I hope Hyatt has considered losing them.

While Im not sold on these changes - Im cautiously optimistic... I'm in the >60 nights crowd.

With that said, all of the presumptions this will alienate, cause people to leave, etc... Hyatt HAS the data and doesnt have to speculate on how many people will and wont make the cut based upon prior trends. They're not guessing... they know. I'm pretty damn sure they've done the math and figured this will be in their best interest.

We may not agree with that, but businesses dont make changes like this without running the numbers across their distribution of people impacted.

They've clearly told us one and all that they dont care about the 25night/25stay crowd....

If you really want to worry about things... think about this as being a stair step towards a total revenue approach. They're already 1/2 way there introducing that as an "alternate" way of getting status. Just wait til that converts to a minimum stay like most of the airlines are now going through.

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
From what I read, the CC will only give you the lower tier. So no more 2pm late checkout or premium internet. And likely no more mLife gold either.

I will probably just cancel the CC and use points from CSR for future stays.

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Wow this is huge news and honestly one of the black marks for me with the Hyatt program. It has been my favorite program for the past three years as I have enthusiastically re qualified yearly. But what a huge downgrade. Honestly I've never felt at any Hyatt stay that lounges were too crowded, so why the need to cull the ranks???

I already have the CC, so assuming I get middle tier already what is the incentive for me to stay a lot? I probably won't get 60 nights as 99% of my stays are one nighters. I don't hotel hop and typically have around 35-40 stays with Hyatt per year. Airlines got the concept of the short but frequent stayer so added MQS, but Hyatt is running in the opposite direction. Not to mention I get the ridiculous high level of spend for lifetime diamond but annual? Hyatt is already weak in spread so doing so will make people like me have a lot fewer Hyatt place stays and stay at a nicer place say where Hilton has a presence.

Sure free parking is nice, but when I care about no fees is on vacation when I burn my points. So I already typically get no resort fees on award stays so the addition of parking benefit doesn't balance the devaluation elsewhere. Not to mention on work trips (ie most Hyatt stays) fees don't matter to me.

I honestly might have expected this move from Hilton but not Hyatt.

Should, but what about those that reach 25 stays by Feb of next year!??

It appears Diamonds will still get suite upgrades and ability to earn additional upgrades.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Fims
I wonder how it will compare to the unified SPG/Marriott program, yet to be launched in 2017.

Accor also gets worse on 1st Jan 2017.

IHG probably can't get worse as there aren't really any serious benefits.
I'm going to assume the SPG/Marriott will be worse next year to match Hyatt.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
I'm currently qualifying at around 35 stays/40 nights relatively easily for Diamond. Overall, I have about 170 stays/200 nights per year - and Hyatt is my first choice, if available - which is difficult outside the Americas.

Most of that is duty travel, so I have usually have no choice how long or short I stay and which are my destinations.

The new rules make it very unrealistic for me to qualify, although I travel a lot.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I requalified for Diamond last year on nights. Although I will requalify this year (as I had in years 2003-2014) on stays, for me 55 nights is probably doable (and 45, if there's a CC spend credit again, certainly is) if I want it enough. But I'm not sure I do. There are only two cities I visit (Moscow and Milan) where a Hyatt is (by virtue of rooms, service, and location) my first choice, apart from any loyalty program benefits or need for requalification credits. There are a few other cities (Seattle, Tokyo & Amsterdam--checkin issues at the last aside) with a Hyatt I really enjoy, but, were it not for HGP, I'd be be exploring other options. And then there are the cities where I have a decent stay at a Hyatt in a not horribly inconvenient location for a decent price, but really wouldn't be doing it were it not for HGP. And then there are all the places I go where there is no Hyatt...I'm not sure that at this point I want to sacrifice a stay at a better and/or better-located property to chase status. I think I'll probably wait and see what my stay pattern is in in the first few months of 2017 before making any decision.
I agree that those asinine tier names have got to go; anyone with the footprint of a midget using the word "globalist" is clearly delusional. I've been in more countries than they have, and I wouldn't call myself that.

Last edited by rfrost; Oct 27, 2016 at 1:14 pm
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by rfrost
I agree that those asinine tier names have got to go; anyone with the footprint of a midget using the word "globalist" is clearly delusional. I've been in more countries than they have, and I wouldn't call myself that.
I love this statement.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by rfrost

So ... Delusionist?
Honestly...earlier I said Terrorist, Extremist...what about Anarchist, Separatist...

Also, even now many hotel staff are not familiar with benefits. Many of them are unlikely to know what a Globalist etc are or who ranks above who.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by olouie
Why bother doing that massive status match last year and then try and kick out lots of diamonds? I easily do 80+ nights a year in hotels but after this there is little reason to pick Hyatt above Marriott/SPG as the Hyatt footprint cannot compare at all. They are missing huge areas where they have zero hotels.
Grow the flock with the anticipation of culling it, but doing so in a way that doesn't make it look like customer loyalty arising from the loyalty program has fallen off the cliff. That's the way of loyalty program management looking to game the systems.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:43 pm

I'm currently Diamond from the match last November, but I won't re-qualify for Diamond. From what OMAAT wrote, it sounds like I'll automatically be given Explorist status in March, correct? That's still a little better than going down to Platinum.

Second question-- I want to confirm that the 4 Club Lounge awards for Explorist refers to 4 stays, not 4 days/visits to the Club.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So many good independent hotels out there, and I think I'll be visiting them in 2018.

I gave up on requalifying for SPG status last year with the Marriott change.

This will likely push me to give up on Hyatt after next year.

It'll be kind of freeing.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by 59Impala
not sure if already posted.... there are sooo many replies. But it seems confirmed, after a call with Zidell, and there is even a video related to the new program.
Check it out here:

https://videos.hyatt.com/worldofhyatt.mp4?_=1
wondering who they're targeting in this video??? Good lord, only about 2 people looked my age...I guess 46 is too old now!
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Quick poll - is there anyone out there that consistently does 60+ nights per year all on leisure stays, no business?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold.
NO more 1K or F&B amenity at check in. Also, the removal of the 2.5K amenity for a closed club is also being removed... per Gary at VFTW.

Big devaluation IMO!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.