Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Waikiki REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric Waikiki REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2021, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Just finished a 4-night stay using the "Study Aboard" rate--- I thought it was a spelling mistake but then one surfing lesson ("aboard") is included. Quite good value, since those lessons cost around $75+ tax, and the resort fee and parking (Total around $75-100 per day, I guess?) are all waived. Total including tax was $1168 for 4 nights.
Huge negative is that the restaurant is still closed, with no sign of any changes in that soon. So you're on your own for breakfast. Bar closed too. Parking ramp is tight, especially since we were given a huge Jeep at Alamo, an "upgrade" that we really didn't need/want.
Positives outweighed the negatives for us, though: surprisingly new feeling hotel, excellent maintenance and clean, housekeeping offered daily (!) if asked for; calls to front desk answered within 5-15 seconds, as opposed to most other recent hotel stays we've had with completely shambolic service. Beach chairs, umbrellas, and towels easy to get from the bell desk at the front door. Cute refillable Hyatt Centric Waikiki water bottle as a gift for guests.
Just a feeling that they've got their s*** together here, it's not a disorganized mess that most other hotels seem to be.
Totally recommend.
ChurnieEls likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 4:28 pm

Does anyone know how deep the pool there is? I heard it's very shallow. My 2 year old likes to swim so wondering if he can actually swim there. Or would they arrange for access to a real pool with another hotel nearby?
Old Jul 29, 2021, 5:58 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Accor Plus Silver
Also finished a 4 night stay a few nights ago. Completely agree, only negative point is restaurant/breakfast situation. Staff was 5 stars, from bell boys to reception and the always smiling housekeeping ladies . Aloha!

Originally Posted by kyushuman
Just finished a 4-night stay using the "Study Aboard" rate--- I thought it was a spelling mistake but then one surfing lesson ("aboard") is included. Quite good value, since those lessons cost around $75+ tax, and the resort fee and parking (Total around $75-100 per day, I guess?) are all waived. Total including tax was $1168 for 4 nights.
Huge negative is that the restaurant is still closed, with no sign of any changes in that soon. So you're on your own for breakfast. Bar closed too. Parking ramp is tight, especially since we were given a huge Jeep at Alamo, an "upgrade" that we really didn't need/want.
Positives outweighed the negatives for us, though: surprisingly new feeling hotel, excellent maintenance and clean, housekeeping offered daily (!) if asked for; calls to front desk answered within 5-15 seconds, as opposed to most other recent hotel stays we've had with completely shambolic service. Beach chairs, umbrellas, and towels easy to get from the bell desk at the front door. Cute refillable Hyatt Centric Waikiki water bottle as a gift for guests.
Just a feeling that they've got their s*** together here, it's not a disorganized mess that most other hotels seem to be.
Totally recommend.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by pointsifu
Does anyone know how deep the pool there is? I heard it's very shallow. My 2 year old likes to swim so wondering if he can actually swim there. Or would they arrange for access to a real pool with another hotel nearby?
Very shallow, I think somewhere around 18 deep. Basically there to dip your feet and not much more aside from the hot tub area thats a bit deeper. However, there are some nice sheltered ocean waters a few blocks away for something a bit deeper but still calm.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 8:32 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Huge negative is that the restaurant is still closed, with no sign of any changes in that soon. So you're on your own for breakfast. Bar closed too
Jeez, I'm surprised at that. They're leaving a lot of money on the table there, the pool/outdoor area is perfect for a buzzy bar to sell cocktails.

Originally Posted by pointsifu
Wouldn't recommend it as a pool for kids tbh, as I noted above its more of a Cosmo LV rooftop pool vibe, not built for paddling or swimming lengths.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 11:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Are they even "allowed" by corporate to not serve F&B at this point?
Old Jul 30, 2021, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Jeez, I'm surprised at that. They're leaving a lot of money on the table there, the pool/outdoor area is perfect for a buzzy bar to sell cocktails.

Wouldn't recommend it as a pool for kids tbh, as I noted above its more of a Cosmo LV rooftop pool vibe, not built for paddling or swimming lengths.
Interestingly, a front desk person said when I asked whether they were having staffing issues with opening F&B, She replied that they weren't opening it "because we've rented it out as a Work From Hotel" space (?) which I am not sure is accurate, but anyway whatever the reason-- it's really weird, how excellent everything else is, (housekeeping, bell desk, and front desk) that there seems to be no intention of offering any food or drink service at a $200-300 per night, 4* hotel anytime soon.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 9:08 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

If anyone is curious what the hotel looks like, I made a short video from my stay last month. Restaurant still closed and being used as a Work from Hyatt space.
bbbb, dakid23, iluvdoco and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
it's really weird, how excellent everything else is, (housekeeping, bell desk, and front desk) that there seems to be no intention of offering any food or drink service at a $200-300 per night, 4* hotel anytime soon.
Probably because the revenue wouldn't cover the costs, and they're having no problem filling the rooms while offering a sub-par product.
kyushuman likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by TheTravelPlaybook
If anyone is curious what the hotel looks like, I made a short video from my stay last month. Restaurant still closed and being used as a Work from Hyatt space. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXB8hKwvS5w
Great review.

Does anyone know if you can use Suite awards at this property? I booked the HR but after seeing your posts I'll be moving here.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by olouie
Great review.

Does anyone know if you can use Suite awards at this property? I booked the HR but after seeing your posts I'll be moving here.
Yes it is possible to apply TSUs (I assume that's what you're asking about).
Old Aug 11, 2021, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
Yes it is possible to apply TSUs (I assume that's what you're asking about).
Yep. Thanks - just called and applied. Was booked at the HR, but given the service issues and slow wifi I moved my reservation and upgrade to the suite for the extra workspace. Too bad no lanai.
kyushuman likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 7:13 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

That's exactly why we moved to the HC from the HR- slow wifi. Wifi works amazingly at the HC.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 3:46 pm

I think most upgrades here are to the "City View Suite" or "mountain view suite". That's what we had, and were on the 10th floor, not near the top but still very quiet. Some Waikiki hotels have older windows and are noisy. Our 4 nights there were good. Nice to be able to secure the TSU ahead of time, since as a Marriott Bonvoy Titanium it's almost impossible with them!
Old Oct 7, 2021, 2:00 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Does the HC have "restrictions" for award availability (maybe just for some periods)? E.g. Min booking, 5 nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.