Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Waikiki REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric Waikiki REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2021, 5:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Redacted

Last edited by stvr; Apr 22, 2021 at 1:22 am
Old Apr 21, 2021, 5:41 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by stvr
If you reach out to this management personally, they can help open up space for an award booking. Their occupancy is terrible.
That shouldn't need to be the way, if their occupancy is terrible they may as well open up award space and take the rebates off Hyatt Corporate.

7/10 night minimums suggest they don't certs/points bookings.
Kacee likes this.
Old May 18, 2021, 12:07 am

Thinking of going here in June. Is the breakfast situation still bad? Planning to use 6 FNC that I have.
I believe no chance of suite upgrade for Glob?
Old May 18, 2021, 12:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by alaskaforlife
Thinking of going here in June. Is the breakfast situation still bad? Planning to use 6 FNC that I have.
We stayed there for 2 nights last week (Week of May 10th) and awards were unavailable, but I used the AA40th promotion to get a $155 rate. I used a suite upgrade which put us in City View Suite and then upon check-in they moved us up to Ocean View Suite, which is their best room. Loved the room and the hotel. No breakfast still. The front desk apologized that there was no breakfast, and she waived our parking fee in compensation for that (plus we got the 500 points/day as well). So we were happy. And we got a free cabana for a day. Overall, loved the hotel and the stay.

The Starbucks Reserve on the ground level makes a good breakfast option, at least for us!
Old May 18, 2021, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA *G
Originally Posted by alaskaforlife
Still no breakfast but I highly recommend walking a block to Kona Coffee Purveyors at International Market Place. Terrific local coffee plus pastries from San Francisco's b. patisserie (kouign-amann is the star). Get there early though – line starts forming before 7 but moves reasonably quickly.

I got an automatic Globalist upgrade to a city view suite on a recent stay. Nothing too special but appreciated the extra space.
Doppy and CoffeeTraveler like this.
Old May 18, 2021, 2:16 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by madipides
We stayed there for 2 nights last week (Week of May 10th) and awards were unavailable, but I used the AA40th promotion to get a $155 rate. I used a suite upgrade which put us in City View Suite and then upon check-in they moved us up to Ocean View Suite, which is their best room. Loved the room and the hotel. No breakfast still. The front desk apologized that there was no breakfast, and she waived our parking fee in compensation for that (plus we got the 500 points/day as well). So we were happy. And we got a free cabana for a day. Overall, loved the hotel and the stay.

The Starbucks Reserve on the ground level makes a good breakfast option, at least for us!
Stayed over the same time period, same upgrade too & no parking charges (which I would take over the breakfast as its $40+/day).

The hard product really is excellent at this property - rooms top notch & the rooftop 'pool'/hot tub is a nice amenity (albeit very windy up there at times).

That parking garage is something else though, by some distance the tightest one I think I've ever been in. No way you'd get a midsize SUV up to the 6th level with having prior experience as a trucker or something like that!
Old May 18, 2021, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA *G
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Stayed over the same time period, same upgrade too & no parking charges (which I would take over the breakfast as its $40+/day).

The hard product really is excellent at this property - rooms top notch & the rooftop 'pool'/hot tub is a nice amenity (albeit very windy up there at times).

That parking garage is something else though, by some distance the tightest one I think I've ever been in. No way you'd get a midsize SUV up to the 6th level with having prior experience as a trucker or something like that!
Definitely a "turn-and-pray" situation around some of those corners.
ChurnieEls likes this.
Old May 18, 2021, 7:45 pm

We were there for 7 nights with a Mazda CX-30, which I think is the biggest we’d feel comfortable driving up those tight ramps. My partner kept putting on the song Stay, which features the lyrics “round and around and around and around we go” We did a lot of turns in that lot and eventually got the hang of it and our rental. Will be grateful when valet (in addition to breakfast) comes back to the Centric Waikiki.
Old May 31, 2021, 1:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Anyone find out when breakfast returns?
Old May 31, 2021, 6:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Airline Nobody

We were all there that week apparently! I burned three 15k certs so parking was automatically waived. Sounds like I should have just paid cash!

I was upgraded to a Deluxe King with a nice bathroom and a high floor. A 2 queen suite was available, but I didn’t ask/didn’t care as I was happy with any room with a bathtub on a high floor. Honestly, if these rooms had lanais, the hotel could genuinely be one of the nicest in Waikiki. Clean, modern, bright, etc

I assume it is fairly common for Waikiki hotels to offer all sorts of beach equipment (chairs, umbrellas, towels), but I appreciated them having that stuff just free to take in the lobby. We took the chairs to Hanauma bay and Waikiki beach on separate days and appreciated them greatly.

For anyone especially concerned about the garage, we had an Audi Q5 and it was fine. The one especially tight turn was on the sixth level. Otherwise anyone who has driven in a large city will have experienced similar places fairly often. I would agree that bigger than a midsize just won’t fly though.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by stvr
Anyone find out when breakfast returns?
I had a one night staycation here over the weekend and asked at check in who responded with a "don't know."
Old Jun 13, 2021, 6:22 am

Any ideas on how to get around the minimum night requirement here? Super annoying. I want to stay 3 nights and they won't let me.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 8:50 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by jbandy10
Any ideas on how to get around the minimum night requirement here? Super annoying. I want to stay 3 nights and they won't let me.
book the minimum and ask CS, or a concierge if you have one, to try and reduce to 3.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 12:32 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by 59Impala
book the minimum and ask CS, or a concierge if you have one, to try and reduce to 3.
Does this ever work for you? Calling, reaching out to the Twitter team, or emailing my Concierge always results in the same response in this scenario: Cannot!

FWIW, I was going to put my SO up at Centric Waikiki for three nights on a GOH reservation. Couldn't get three nights. Can't (officially) get benefits on a cash rate (which was low, some $160). So I remembered that she's always been raving about the oh so cute and instagram friendly Surfjack. Sure enough, they had a ridiculously low rate, $139 or somesuch, resort fee waived. At check-in, they ask, have you stayed with us before? She says, no, because me SO has status with Hyatt, and we always get suites there. So they gave her a suite.

Not sure if there's a moral to this story, but my policy right now is not to go out of the way to out of the way to stay at chain hotels that have limited benefits anyway. The Centric is marginal value on points most of the time (unless you're staying at a time with super high rates), and with limited benefits (still 500 points instead of breakfast?), there's really no point staying there. The "ocean" view suites are decent (if you can forgive the lack of a lanai), but the "city" views are just dreadful.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 4:28 pm

Programs: WOH Globalist
11 night minimum during the holidays

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.