Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2023, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
The following info may be helpful for all newbies:

Hyatt issued CAT 1-4 award at 30 night milestone: expiration 6 months later.
Hyatt issued CAT 1-7 award at 60 night milestone: expiration 6 months later.
Chase WoH credit card issued CAT 1-4 award at annual renewal: expiration 12 months later.
Chase WoH credit card issued CAT 1-4 award at $15k spend: expiration 12 months later.
Hyatt issued CAT 1-4 Brand explorer award (for every 5 brands): expiration 12 months later.

Print Wikipost

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2016, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by joecool1885
I'd be interested to know more about the situation. One might ask why you're travelling when you're broke, but of course half of FT is about leveraging points and miles to make it at least somewhat justifiable to vacation with zip in a bank account.

So why Cat 1-3? Are you using points or cash or combo for your hotels? If you're thinking Orlando on points, I might recommend building some extra point balance to stay at the Grand Cypress (cat 4). Of course no breakfast there if not Diamond, and no airport transportation, but maybe you can offset those costs in other ways. Are you looking for theme park, beach, or general sightseeing? If you're broke and you're not using points, I might suggest a more budget friendly chain than Hyatt.

Just curious and would like to get the bigger picture.

Joe
Joe, I apologize with the wording of my original post. Maybe "broke" was not the best way to put my situation; "budget" might be better hence the preference in cat 1-3. I am relatively points rich so that helps some traveling aspect, but the part that hurts is the out of pocket cost for all the known expenses before a trip. Uber vs renting a car, food, activities, drinks, etc.

80k UR
85k Flexperk
55k Avios (soon to be 120k)
43k Arrival+ miles
55k TYP
25k Alaska
Old Mar 16, 2016, 9:04 am

what's a DSU worth in points?

Summary: a DSU was debited from my current pool instead of last year's (reservation was done via phone on 0229).

CS says the hotel made a mistake but they can't reinstate it nor add another DSU to my account. They are offering me points instead. Just wanted to ask what would be considered a rough/fair number of equivalent points? I've never used points for redemption before.

FWIW, my last DSU's were used on 3-5 night reservations. TIA
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
IMHO, the points differential between a regular award room and a suite would be fair.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
IMHO, the points differential between a regular award room and a suite would be fair.
Thanks. Is the number of points required to upgrade from the basic-level room to a entry level suite different per property? I can't seem to figure out the amount doing dummy bookings using the website. TIA
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:47 pm

The award room prices in points are the same for all those in the same category.

You are confusing using points for an upgrade with using points to book a room and a suite.

For example, if a regular award room is 20k points and the award points for a suite is 30k points, I would ask for 10k points for each night I was originally booked for in that particular hotel. Not any random hotel.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:07 pm

I apologize for not being clear.

I actually wanted to find out the number of points required for an upgrade to a suite from a paid basic level room. That's how I intended to use the DSU that got debited from me. I'm guessing the pts required varies depending on the category too?
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:11 pm

Here is the link to the page with the rules for suite upgrades using points. Pay attention to the fine print at the bottom. But the points needed are 6k. The paid room category required varies. The points for the upgrade are the same for all.

http://www.hyatt.com/gp/en/awards/hyatt_upgrade.jsp
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by yannix
Summary: a DSU was debited from my current pool instead of last year's (reservation was done via phone on 0229).

CS says the hotel made a mistake but they can't reinstate it nor add another DSU to my account. They are offering me points instead. Just wanted to ask what would be considered a rough/fair number of equivalent points? I've never used points for redemption before.

FWIW, my last DSU's were used on 3-5 night reservations. TIA
I'm curious how the hotel made a mistake if you booked on the 29th. You didn't even have 2016 DSUs yet. Was it a lag in them processing it that caused them to pull from the wrong bucket?

Also, if it was a problem with the hotel, why can't the hotel just give you a comp suite and give you back the DSU? Of course I know that they want to the revenue from Hyatt for your suite.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:28 pm

Here is the link to the page with the rules for suite upgrades using points. Pay attention to the fine print at the bottom. But the points needed are 6k. The paid room category required varies. The points for the upgrade are the same for all.

http://www.hyatt.com/gp/en/awards/hyatt_upgrade.jsp
Got it. I appreciate the help.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20
I'm curious how the hotel made a mistake if you booked on the 29th. You didn't even have 2016 DSUs yet. Was it a lag in them processing it that caused them to pull from the wrong bucket?

Also, if it was a problem with the hotel, why can't the hotel just give you a comp suite and give you back the DSU? Of course I know that they want to the revenue from Hyatt for your suite.
That's what I was thinking but I don't know. I am not even sure if it's the hotel or Hyatt GP that screwed up. I am not familiar with who does the DSU debit and when it gets really debited. If anyone is inclined to point me to the pages, I am happy to read and learn

FWIW, the stay in question was from the 1st week of this month and it was my first time using a DSU.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by yannix
That's what I was thinking but I don't know. I am not even sure if it's the hotel or Hyatt GP that screwed up. I am not familiar with who does the DSU debit and when it gets really debited. If anyone is inclined to point me to the pages, I am happy to read and learn

FWIW, the stay in question was from the 1st week of this month and it was my first time using a DSU.
Theoretically the DSU is pulled by the HGP agent when you call to apply the DSU. AFAIK, the hotel does not have access to your DSU inventory to do that. However there has been more than one person who has used a DSU but didn't see it come out of their account until later. This could have happened to you.

However are you 100% sure that they used one of your 2016 DSUs? There is a known issue where when you used a 2015 award, it mimicked using a 2016 award. However all 4 of your 2016 awards were still intact and it did not decrement from your 2015 awards. See the picture below.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...6&d=1456555755
Old Mar 16, 2016, 7:09 pm

Do points + cash bookings earn points for the cash portion? For example, on a categoy 1, would I earn 250 points for 1 night since I am paying $50 in addition to the 2,500 points used? Thanks
Old Mar 17, 2016, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by bjk497
Do points + cash bookings earn points for the cash portion? For example, on a categoy 1, would I earn 250 points for 1 night since I am paying $50 in addition to the 2,500 points used? Thanks
Yes you will earn points for any cash part of your reservation. This gets paid at check out time.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20
Theoretically the DSU is pulled by the HGP agent when you call to apply the DSU. AFAIK, the hotel does not have access to your DSU inventory to do that. However there has been more than one person who has used a DSU but didn't see it come out of their account until later. This could have happened to you.
This is incorrrect. I've been too busy to make my own reservation, see if P&C were available, plus check on the upcharge to a nicer suite so I contacted the hotel and they took care of every detail, including pulling the DSUs. It's not the first time they've done so.

Perhaps they need to call their own customer service, but I know this isn't the only time they've taken care of it for me.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 7:00 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Perhaps they need to call their own customer service, but I know this isn't the only time they've taken care of it for me.
I've had two properties do the same for me..... but, probably like you, I was a repeat guest there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.