Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Doing Status Matches on Twitter! (11/19/15)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: solewalker
On Thursday, November 19 at 12:43 PM EST, @HyattConcierge sent the following tweet via the Twitter social media platform:

"Looking for a new loyalty program? DM us and let’s talk."

12:43 PM EST - https://twitter.com/HyattConcierge/status/667397894987767808
2:55 PM EST - https://twitter.com/HyattConcierge/status/667431140815450112

Q: What was offered by Hyatt Gold Passport?
A: Hyatt Gold Passport offered a status match for qualifying elite status in qualifying hotel loyalty programs to Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond. This status level remains valid through the end of February 2017.

Q: Which hotel loyalty programs? Which elite status level?
A: As of Friday, November 20 at 12:00 PM EST, it appears that requests with proof of elite status with almost any hotel loyalty program were matched to Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond. It has been reported that Marriott Rewards Gold, Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, and others were matched to Hyatt Diamond.

After Friday, November 20 at 12:00 PM EST, it appears that only some top-tier elite status level in some hotel loyalty programs were being matched, for example Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) Platinum. There is no supporting evidence that any sort of cut-off date/time was implemented in actual denials. However, this is most likely due to the fact that requests made after the cut-off date/time have not yet been processed (refer to the "How long will it take" question below).

There are a number of reports that indicate being told by Hyatt representatives that there was a cut-off date/time and that the current status match is for SPG Platinum members only.

It seems there have been varied reports around what elite status and hotel loyalty program qualified, which ones didn't qualify, which level of Hyatt Gold Password was matched to, etc. More information should be available on November 24 when it is expected that the cut-off date/time is processed and the wiki will be updated as we have some additional reports roll in.

As always, YMMV.

Q: How does this differ from the previous Diamond Status Challenge or Diamond Fast Track offers?
A: The requirements for the current status match were: 1) proof of elite status with a qualifying hotel loyalty program and 2) proof of ONE stay during this calendar year. This is an outright status match not a status challenge.

Q: How long will it take for the status match to be applied?
A: As of November 24 at 1:30 AM EST, it appears that they have reviewed requests made up to around November 20 at 11:30 AM EST. The initial response was "within 48 hours," but that has since been extended to "within 14 days." Based on reports, it appears that requests are being processed on the weekends and late into the evenings (author note: my status match was processed at 1:30 AM EST).

Q: If I am matched to Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond level, will I receive the Diamond Suite Upgrade awards?
A: Yes. As with any Diamond member, you will receive four DSU awards within one to two business days. These will expire at the end of February 2016. You can attach these to future reservations - past February 2016 - as long as they are used prior to their expiration - changes to the reservation may result in the loss of the expired DSU though. You will receive an additional four DSU awards next year for use by early March 2016 which will expire February 28, 2017. This is no different than any other Diamond member.

Q: If I currently have Diamond status, will Hyatt extend my status an additional year?
A: No. Hyatt is not offering extensions on existing Diamond status. Once again, this is based on reports from the community, so YMMV. Anything is possible if you ask; nothing is possible if you do not ask.

Q: If I previously attained Diamond level status through a Diamond Status Challenge or Diamond Fast Track offer, am I eligible for the current status match offer?
A: As long as you are not currently a Diamond member and meet the other qualifications, it appears you will be eligible for this offer. Previous status challenges should not affect this offer.

Q: Why would Hyatt make this kind of offer?
A: While the reasons can only be discussed as hypothetical situations, the recently announced acquisition of Starwood Hotels by Marriott Hotels and the subsequent disgruntled reaction from many SPG elite members most likely played a role. However, this is unconfirmed and merely speculation.

Q: I missed this promotion before. Is this promotion still active? If so, how do I request a status match?
A: At this time, there is no evidence to suggest the promotion has ended. To request the status match, email [email protected] with a screenshot of 1) proof of your current elite status level with a competing hotel loyalty program AND 2) proof of at least one stay during the current calendar year AND 3) your Hyatt GP membership number.

NOTE: It appears that only new requests from SPG Platinum members will receive the Diamond status match. This does not mean you should not try if you have some other type of status, but you should expect the request to be declined. Again, "YMMV" applies.
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Doing Status Matches on Twitter! (11/19/15)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2015, 10:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rcrowe5999
Grown people arguing about suite upgrades and a 4pm checkout. Do these things really make a difference in the scheme of life? A nice room is a nice room. Put things in perspective.
Like little kids arguing about who gets the last candy
Old Nov 21, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: Delta, Southwest, Hyatt
I initially dm'ed at 1:30 am est on nov. 20. Hyatt concierge replied 25+ hours later asking me to specify exactly what status I had with a competing chain and they would advise what tier I would be matched to. I immediately replied back that I was spg and hilton gold. Within 3 minutes they replied that I could be matched to hyatt platinum.

Too late to the party. Oh well!
Old Nov 21, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I was matched to Diamond, and the only hotel status that I have is IHG Platinum.

Hyatt seemed to have been handing out Diamond like candy.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 10:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WWads
I was matched to Diamond, and the only hotel status that I have is IHG Platinum.

When did your request it? How many stays did you have with IHG?
Old Nov 21, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Gberg
Submitted at 1AM EST on Nov. 20 as well and heard back nothing until just now. Was told they'd just match to platinum
What status do you have with the other program?
Old Nov 21, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX PLAT, Priority Pass, Admirals Club, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Got the below response from Hyatt's twitter team in a DM. They worded the reply in an interesting way. Bolding is mine.

"Please Email us @ [email protected] along with your GP# account
1- A copy of your membership card with SPG, IHG, Hilton, or Marriott; 2- A copy of your past stay completed with our competitor in the last 12 months. We will evaluate your request based on the need of our guests and our business within the next 24-48 hours."
Old Nov 21, 2015, 11:50 am
Suspended

Anyone think about photoshopping SPG Platinum into your screenshot and then sending that to Hyatt for the match to Diamond?
Old Nov 21, 2015, 12:00 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Anyone think about photoshopping SPG Platinum into your screenshot and then sending that to Hyatt for the match to Diamond?
A friend of mine did something similar. Made a fake ow sapphire card. Contacted a st airline for a status match. Got it.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
quick question - how to print SPG statements... Thanks!
Old Nov 21, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by johnwmaher
Got the below response from Hyatt's twitter team in a DM. They worded the reply in an interesting way. Bolding is mine.

"Please Email us @ [email protected] along with your GP# account
1- A copy of your membership card with SPG, IHG, Hilton, or Marriott; 2- A copy of your past stay completed with our competitor in the last 12 months. We will evaluate your request based on the need of our guests and our business within the next 24-48 hours."
+1 I am already Plat via Chase so will be interesting.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by WWads

I'm an IHG Platinum Ambassador and I just received the email about an hour ago saying I had been matched to Diamond. I both DM'ed and emailed Hyatt at around 11pm the other night when news of the deal broke, and included a screenshot of my IHG account.

As a data point, I have between 40-50 nights so far this year with IHG and that figure was included in my screenshot.

...and yes, they do seem to be handing Diamond out like candy. I'm still surprised they ran this promo (I think it's a poor decision that dilutes the value of their loyalty program and if they were trying to draw SPG elites they should have limited it strictly to SPG elites) and I feel bad for legit Diamond members, but I guess not bad enough to pass up on this opportunity.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDavis625
I'm an IHG Platinum Ambassador and I just received the email about an hour ago saying I had been matched to Diamond. I both DM'ed and emailed Hyatt at around 11pm the other night when news of the deal broke, and included a screenshot of my IHG account.

As a data point, I have between 40-50 nights so far this year with IHG and that figure was included in my screenshot.

...and yes, they do seem to be handing Diamond out like candy. I'm still surprised they ran this promo (I think it's a poor decision that dilutes the value of their loyalty program and if they were trying to draw SPG elites they should have limited it strictly to SPG elites) and I feel bad for legit Diamond members, but I guess not bad enough to pass up on this opportunity.
I'm IHG Spire Ambassador and SPG Gold and sent both to Hyatt Gold Passport and am waiting to hear.

If they dont match me to Diamond, would you mind getting on a conference call with Hyatt and I to figure this out?
Old Nov 21, 2015, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982
I'm IHG Spire Ambassador and SPG Gold and sent both to Hyatt Gold Passport and am waiting to hear.

If they dont match me to Diamond, would you mind getting on a conference call with Hyatt and I to figure this out?
Why would he risk them taking away his Diamond status for that?

I think it's obvious by now they are just cherry picking. I honestly think it may have to do with how many stays you have in the other programs. Notice how he had 50+ stays. I'm wondering if all the "denials" have Gold/Plat status but with zero stays, ie: credit card status.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by awval999
Why would he risk them taking away his Diamond status for that?

I think it's obvious by now they are just cherry picking. I honestly think it may have to do with how many stays you have in the other programs. Notice how he had 50+ stays. I'm wondering if all the "denials" have Gold/Plat status but with zero stays, ie: credit card status.
You can't get Spire Ambassador with a credit card.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by JDavis625

As a 'legit' Diamond member, congratulations. You'll like Hyatt. A lot.

I got here through a Diamond Trial a few years ago so I don't have much room to complain about those who have been given Diamond status. In fact, I did my trial near the end of the year so I got two years' worth of DSUs. I had every intent to stay a Hyatt Diamond and I've been able to do that every year since my Diamond Trial.

I'm not concerned about the lounges being overcrowded; there have been many nights where there were only a couple of other people in the lounge with me.

I'm not concerned about losing 4PM checkout; that's always been given to me and I expect it to continue.

The only area where this sudden influx of Diamonds will matter is for suite upgrades. I think that the negative impact will be temporary and I don't use my DSUs during peak vacation season so it probably won't impact me much at all.

Fortunately, Hyatt turned off the Diamond status challenge early this year (June or July) so there won't be many that got their status through a challenge. And they started limiting this Diamond match quickly after they got inundated with requests.

The part of Hyatt that you probably won't like is that Hyatts are higher priced than most IHG properties. This may end up discouraging many that have been matched from IHG unless they stay almost exclusively at Intercontinentals. And of course Hyatt has a much smaller footprint.

After SPG goes away, Hyatt will be hands down the best mainstream hotel loyalty program in term of benefits. I'm glad to see that SPG Plats have been thrown a lifeboat. Hopefully they won't be griping too much about how SPG was better; there were a few that were rather vocal when it seemed like Hyatt and SPG would merge.

Again, to you and all others matched, congratulations. This is the one loyalty program that I will always renew.

Last edited by iflyjetz; Nov 21, 2015 at 1:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.