Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Herald Square (NYC) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Mod note: The preopening thread is at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...ng-thread.html - now locked please continue discussions in this thread.

i'm staying here right now. decided to try the new spot for this trip.

overall i think it's a good property that slots in nicely between hyatt places and the grands/lex's/etc. they're still in the process of opening (when i arrived yesterday they were doing a photo shoot) and it seems they're still finding their way but it will all be worked out.

yes, the room sizes are on the smaller side, but have an efficient layout and though small, i dont feel "crammed" if that makes sense. for just me on this trip it's really no problem; if my gf was with me and it was a vacation i'd stay elsewhere as the suites dont seem too much bigger.

the lobby area is nice - mid-century style - although a bit confusing. front desk is in the back right when you walk in the doors; there are two agents with an additional one at the diamond/platinum check-in desk. the layout of the restaurant is a bit weird: there's a seating area with maybe 9 tables in a recessed room that kind of doesn't feel like restaurant, but even though the kitchen its around the corner the service is efficient.

at check-in i asked about breakfast and was told that i could take it in the restaurant or via room service at any time during the day. TBH i'm not sure if he understood i was asking wrt the diamond benefit but i'll confirm later today. i went down to the restaurant this morning as i wanted to get out of the room.

the rooftop lounge isn't open yet (or at least is being finished at the moment) however when it is it'll be a great place for a drink as on one side you have the empire state building staring you in the face and on the other you have expansive views of the city. it's sunny and blue sky here now and its beautiful.

the service i've experienced is great. everyone is willing to help, they smile and say hi, and it comes across as authentic instead of forced.

toiletries are c.o. bigelow, so good choice by the hotel on this one.

the location is very convenient. chelsea, penn station, and MSP are all a few blocks away.

another plus: my room is very quiet. for those that dont like a lot of city sound or are light sleepers, the sound insulation is very good in the rooms. there's probably more noticeable noise from the hallway than from the street.

value: comparatively, i'd rate the lex/grand/5th substantially higher, but if i just need a comfortable hyatt room to sleep in and the price differential is what it was for my stay (~450 at the lex/grand/5th/TS/US vs 297 here) i'll stay here with no qualms. however if i'm redeeming points or the price is more than ~$350 i'm at the lex/grand/5th/US. there's no way this hotel should be a cat 6, it's much better suited as a cat 4. this is the part about the hotel that's out of whack.

i'm here till around 4pm tomorrow, so if anyone has any questions lemme know and i can find out.

Last edited by peteropny; Oct 30, 2014 at 8:07 pm
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:28 am

How does the gym compare to the ones at the Grand Hyatt or Times Square? Also interested in understanding the breakfast option.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Ahcjar103 how did the diamond breakfast go?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:31 am
Original Poster

hi all,

sorry for the delay. to answer some of the questions:

breakfast: the quoted benefit is $25 per person. you may take it in the restaurant or as room service, however are required to pay the service charge if choosing the latter option. i took it in the restaurant both days. also i believe my food/bev total exceeded the $25 mark on both days (it was $33 on the last day) but nothing showed up on my bill... so in terms of the limit, paying the service charge for room service, etc, this might be a bit YMMV. what did show up was the gratuity; i didn't really care to debate that with them.

gym: the gym is on the lower level. it's on the smaller side however has been outfitted with numerous machines and stayfit-branded accessories. there are 4 treadmills, 2 rowing machines, free weights, medicine balls, resistance bands, yoga mats, a scale, filtered water (not bottled, but like you'd have in the office), regular and chilled towels, and headphones.

hope this helps and let me know if i can answer any other questions!
Old Nov 1, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond since 1989, Singapore Air PPS now Gold, AA Gold Since 1982, Starwood Gold
Stayed Last Week

I just stayed last Sunday night/Monday night

I agree with Prior Comments. For $225-300, I am happy to stay at Herald
-Nice Boutique Feel at 122 Rooms
-Great Service and Attitude at Front Desk
-Breakfast was excellent but don't expect the Gold Standard Andaz Fifth Ave
-Servers were very pleasant and not forced friendly but genuine
-NY Gold Standard with High End Coffee Machine (Not automatic crap) but not the Gold Standard of Hyatt Olive 8 Seattle which is Local Blend Victrola
-Nothing for us Diamonds as there are only a couple of suites
-Double Sealed windows so no NY Street Noise compared to noisy Grand
-Cant' beat location around the corner from Korea Town Restaurants and Two blocks from PATH Trains and F Trains and PENN Station to JFK or EWR Jersey

Negatives
Old architecture so noisy A/C
Just two suites so not great for upgrades
-Low Quality Paint as it is scuffed at Elevators and Fake Metal in Elevators scuffed

Net net, given price for business, this is much preferred over Mid-Town Hyatts with higher prices, If price is no object, I would select Andaz Fifth for breakfast and Andaz Wall Street for large Suite
Old Nov 1, 2014, 2:55 pm

I too stayed here last Sunday night - had a worldwide corporate rate of $170 which was much less that the Times Sq or Lex Hyatts that I stay at.

As stated above, rooms are quite small - would only work for 1 or max 2 people. Bathroom is very small with no counter space to put one's toiletries. No enclosed closet which was ok. My room had an iron but no ironing board - must have been teething problems. Room had a small sofa - good for 1. One potential negative for me was that there didn't seem to be much of a desk to work on - just a very small area that I wasn't sure would work.

At check in - was told I could have diamond breakfast in the restaurant but no mention of the diamond amenity. Regardless, the 1k points posted.

Looking to the latter part of Nov, some of the rates here are quite good - almost half of the TS or Lex - so will look to stay here again and same my client money.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:35 pm

Programs: SPG 75 Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Delta PM, AA EXP
Stayed here over the weekend @ $120 my elite rate, hard to beat the price.

The room was very compact like others have said, probably had a 5/6 foot radius max around the bed to the desk and walls. But still had an upscale feel to it. Lack of a proper closet may be an annoyance for some.

Bathroom was nice, but compact also. It at least had coBigelow toiletries.

Was told upon check-in that breakfast as a Diamond was "whatever you get we'll take care of it, or you can order it via room service." I ate in the restaurant, and nothing showed up on my bill but the tip.

The staff at the property was great, I just wasn't a fan of the room sizes, and lack of larger sized rooms for diamonds.

I would say as a diamond, if the 48Lex or one of the Andaz's are within $50 or so I'd go for one of those properties. But given what $150/200 can get you elsewhere in Manhattan, this is still preferable to something like a FourPoints type property.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by pnq91
Was told upon check-in that breakfast as a Diamond was "whatever you get we'll take care of it, or you can order it via room service." I ate in the restaurant, and nothing showed up on my bill but the tip.
What was the cost of your breakfast?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: SPG 75 Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Delta PM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by JunkDiver
What was the cost of your breakfast?
$39 for just me. Just eggs, a side, and 3 lattes.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by pnq91
$39 for just me. Just eggs, a side, and 3 lattes.
Just for you > 3 lattes.

I like your style.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 4:39 pm

Just completed a stay here and I was pleased.

HOTEL OPENED: October 8, 2014

ROOM SIZE: Typical for Manhattan. Not massive but not cramped. I have stayed in several Hilton properties in the City that had rooms half the size.

ROOM DECOR: Well appointed, everything is new as of October 2014. 48 Lex has the same furnishings.

BUILDING: 15 floors with 8 rectangular rooms of same size on each floor. Another floor (18th floor) has a suite which was not ready when I visited in Nov. 2014 (No DSU). Rooftop patio is well done and offers nice view of Empire State Building (two blocks away) as well as all the way downtown to One World Trade Center.

RESTAURANT: 10 or so tables in the back of the lobby. Food was well prepared. For Diamond Breakfast, they simply removed all charges including tip (our total was $40) at checkout.

GYM: Tucked into basement. All equipment and supplies are new as of October 2014 (see comments upthread with inventory of equipment)

REGENCY CLUB: None

STAFF: Knowledgeable and pleasant.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:24 pm

First if all given that it's a category 6 I would defintally chose another property in the city.

Biggest drawbacks for me were the following items
No luggage rack-staff told me to put luggage on the floor or on the couch.
No enclosed closet , it's a open rack w room for 6 hangers.
Only One drawer for clothes
No office chair - just a poof that's not suitable for sitting and actually doing work
Office desk is barely big enough for a laptop and not big enough to have a small work area. It's more like a tiny corner fit as a vanity desk to put on makeup

Things that seemed ok
Lowest price in NYC for the fall usually 300 mon-thur
Terrible location close junk bulk sellers of costume jewlery, clothes, luggage but only 1 block from k town restaurants, 2blocks from herald square shops.
Bathroom looks renovated
Sheets are rough and too crispy but the bed has at least a down comforter
The room is small but not that small comparatively to nyc hotels in general. Some hotel rooms in NYC are so small that there is barely enough room to get out in either side of the bed.
Mini fridge available
Robe and slippers available

Overall not bad but I would put it at the same level as the Hyatt place. Maybe slightly better than the Hyatt place on par with Hyatt Times Square but more convienent location. I would def chose in the following nyc hotel order park hyatt, andaz 5th, Hyatt 48, grand hyatt, herald sq, times sq, hyatt place.
But if your cash strapped and don't want to pay 400 a night in the fall mon-thur this Hyatt is suitable.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, US Air Gold
Stayed at this property two times this week. I agree with the other posts - it is priced significantly lower than the other full service Hyatts in NY. However, the rooms are small and lack some of the amenities of the other NY Hyatts. The furnishings are nice, but there are some drawbacks. First, it is impossible to put a laptop anywhere in the room other than the bed. There is no real desk. Second, there is no ironing board (there is an iron). Third, the room is not very large, maybe a 3-4 foot cushion around the bed. It seems like 75% of the size of the rooms of the Hyatt Times Sq. The diamond breakfast is convenient - you can eat it downstairs or they will deliver it. During my first stay I got room service - the food was very poor. The over medium eggs were actually extremely over hard and the bacon may have still been oinking! The service here has been good though. The people at the front desk are generally friendly and helpful. I chose to stay at this property because it is located right near my meetings.

In general, if you need a room to spread out and work in this isn't the best choice. If you need to be in the area and you are looking for a more reasonably priced full service Hyatt, then this is a good fit.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: CO Plat, Hyatt Plat
I am staying at the Herald Square property this week, i am 2 nights into a 4 night stay. So far, my experience has been horrible.

Upon check in, i was not recognized as a diamond. The room i reserved, a King, was unavailable, so they put me in a double queen. I do not care about the size of the beds, but the room is really small with two queens.

The shower takes nearly 10 minutes to warm up and the pressure is really low.

I have had two breakfasts in the lobby and the service is horrible, it took forever to be greeted. This morning, my coffee arrived after I finished the rest of my breakfast.

The worst part is, I have two more stays booked here this month. I tried changing my reservation to another hotel, but all the prices have increased.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by infosec
I am staying at the Herald Square property this week, i am 2 nights into a 4 night stay. So far, my experience has been horrible.

Upon check in, i was not recognized as a diamond. The room i reserved, a King, was unavailable, so they put me in a double queen. I do not care about the size of the beds, but the room is really small with two queens.

The shower takes nearly 10 minutes to warm up and the pressure is really low.

I have had two breakfasts in the lobby and the service is horrible, it took forever to be greeted. This morning, my coffee arrived after I finished the rest of my breakfast.

The worst part is, I have two more stays booked here this month. I tried changing my reservation to another hotel, but all the prices have increased.
It will be interesting to hear about your future stays after you complete them. My guess is that based on your current stay you will adjust your expectations lower resulting in your future stays being more pleasant and overall a better experience. Please report back either way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.