FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Herald Square (NYC) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:45 am
ahcjar103

Hyatt Herald Square (NYC) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Mod note: The preopening thread is at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...ng-thread.html - now locked please continue discussions in this thread.

i'm staying here right now. decided to try the new spot for this trip.

overall i think it's a good property that slots in nicely between hyatt places and the grands/lex's/etc. they're still in the process of opening (when i arrived yesterday they were doing a photo shoot) and it seems they're still finding their way but it will all be worked out.

yes, the room sizes are on the smaller side, but have an efficient layout and though small, i dont feel "crammed" if that makes sense. for just me on this trip it's really no problem; if my gf was with me and it was a vacation i'd stay elsewhere as the suites dont seem too much bigger.

the lobby area is nice - mid-century style - although a bit confusing. front desk is in the back right when you walk in the doors; there are two agents with an additional one at the diamond/platinum check-in desk. the layout of the restaurant is a bit weird: there's a seating area with maybe 9 tables in a recessed room that kind of doesn't feel like restaurant, but even though the kitchen its around the corner the service is efficient.

at check-in i asked about breakfast and was told that i could take it in the restaurant or via room service at any time during the day. TBH i'm not sure if he understood i was asking wrt the diamond benefit but i'll confirm later today. i went down to the restaurant this morning as i wanted to get out of the room.

the rooftop lounge isn't open yet (or at least is being finished at the moment) however when it is it'll be a great place for a drink as on one side you have the empire state building staring you in the face and on the other you have expansive views of the city. it's sunny and blue sky here now and its beautiful.

the service i've experienced is great. everyone is willing to help, they smile and say hi, and it comes across as authentic instead of forced.

toiletries are c.o. bigelow, so good choice by the hotel on this one.

the location is very convenient. chelsea, penn station, and MSP are all a few blocks away.

another plus: my room is very quiet. for those that dont like a lot of city sound or are light sleepers, the sound insulation is very good in the rooms. there's probably more noticeable noise from the hallway than from the street.

value: comparatively, i'd rate the lex/grand/5th substantially higher, but if i just need a comfortable hyatt room to sleep in and the price differential is what it was for my stay (~450 at the lex/grand/5th/TS/US vs 297 here) i'll stay here with no qualms. however if i'm redeeming points or the price is more than ~$350 i'm at the lex/grand/5th/US. there's no way this hotel should be a cat 6, it's much better suited as a cat 4. this is the part about the hotel that's out of whack.

i'm here till around 4pm tomorrow, so if anyone has any questions lemme know and i can find out.

Last edited by peteropny; Oct 30, 2014 at 8:07 pm