Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2023, 11:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
It’s Park Hyatt hotel where majority of guests are staying on points and presumably many are Globalists not paying for breakfast. It completely changes the economics. I suspect cost cutting is the priority there based on all the comments here. It’s not operating on par with other luxury hotels.
We have a winner in the Street-smart Analytics Contest. That might have described me a few times.

Maybe many times in my business travel days when I was a perpetual Diamond, room rates were generally much lower everywhere than they are now, and I was racking up points and stay credits right and left.

Steak and eggs has been dropping off Hyatt menus since sometime late in the last millennium. At least since the menu standardization and featured cinnamon roll days. If anything I'm shocked they were still around here in 2023.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 7:33 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Post Park Hyatt Breakfast Blues

Sadly have to agree with the below post. We are currently at this property (PH New York) and have been very (very) surprised by the dissapointing quality of the food served for breakfast. Some of the worst Bacon Ive had in years, a Farfield Inn & Suites we stayed at 2 weeks ago for my son's soccer tournement near Tampa had far better Bacon. We also ordered a lobster scrambled eggs that tasted like it was prepared by a first week trainee at culinary school, the waffles were "OK" but Ive had better at IHop..... (sigh). My wife's Chocolate Croissant was of industrial vending machine with 5 month shelf-life quality.

Portion sizes are quite stingy. They are rather pushy on wanting you to have the VOSS ultra-premium water.... had to correct the wait staff twice to just get us regular filtered water. Where they do excel is at pricing levels.... not to complain and I knew what I was getting into, but if you are offering a breakfast where the price of a medium sized Latte is $16 for a Latte, I do sort of expect you to have a decent quality supplier of breakfast meats and have fruit that is at least semi ripe and does not need honey to have some taste. Im 200% for profit and understand they want to make money, but charge $20 for a Latte if you have to but please follow-up with quality ingredients, and kindly stock no lactose dairy products !!! I dunno - am I being unreasonable...??

Service (VOSS pushing aside) was good... and our room is Huge and recently updated.... its all good, and we wont let the mediocre breakfast ruin our stay - but the quality of the food is indeed rather shameful. We had thought about having Xmas dinner here at the Hotel but after the quality of the breakfast have made other plans.

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
The state of Hyatt food and beverage is just overall disappointing in North America over the past 5 years
They have given up being a truly premium brand with some exceptions regardless of hotel category
One expects a truly marvelous experience in a 5 star
Once upon a time it was just as exciting to dine as it was to stay at a Hyatt property

I do avoid properties where possible that can’t do breakfast well but ok with them not serving a quality lunch or dinner as the options are more tempting elsewhere off property
There was a time where I would spend thousands to dine at Hyatt Hotels for dinner without even staying
unfortunately that ship has longgggg sailed!
Cost cutting and not brining in the culinary greats have stripped them of a great deal of their brand supremacy IMO
except abroad.

About the worst breakfast ever has to be the former Grand Hyatt in New York Hyatt Grand Central?
where for 60 dollars now per per person you eat a tired cafeteria buffet
One may think IHOP and Denny’s are premium dining.Serious slop.Mind you I like the hotel otherwise
Happy Holidays All

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Dec 25, 2023 at 7:41 am Reason: add info
Old Dec 25, 2023, 11:32 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Sadly have to agree with the below post. We are currently at this property (PH New York) and have been very (very) surprised by the dissapointing quality of the food served for breakfast. Some of the worst Bacon Ive had in years, a Farfield Inn & Suites we stayed at 2 weeks ago for my son's soccer tournement near Tampa had far better Bacon. We also ordered a lobster scrambled eggs that tasted like it was prepared by a first week trainee at culinary school, the waffles were "OK" but Ive had better at IHop..... (sigh). My wife's Chocolate Croissant was of industrial vending machine with 5 month shelf-life quality.

Portion sizes are quite stingy. They are rather pushy on wanting you to have the VOSS ultra-premium water.... had to correct the wait staff twice to just get us regular filtered water. Where they do excel is at pricing levels.... not to complain and I knew what I was getting into, but if you are offering a breakfast where the price of a medium sized Latte is $16 for a Latte, I do sort of expect you to have a decent quality supplier of breakfast meats and have fruit that is at least semi ripe and does not need honey to have some taste. Im 200% for profit and understand they want to make money, but charge $20 for a Latte if you have to but please follow-up with quality ingredients, and kindly stock no lactose dairy products !!! I dunno - am I being unreasonable...??

Service (VOSS pushing aside) was good... and our room is Huge and recently updated.... its all good, and we wont let the mediocre breakfast ruin our stay - but the quality of the food is indeed rather shameful. We had thought about having Xmas dinner here at the Hotel but after the quality of the breakfast have made other plans.
Thank You for sharing your experience.Seems like the ship keeps sinking
Wish you could have been there for the opening and experienced for yourself how outstanding it was in an
elegant dining room with multiple flavors of Stauds preserves from Austria on every table.
First experienced these at the Grand Hyatt Berlin and I import them from Europe.as I have never seen them sold here in the US
Hyatt pulled out all the stops bringing in some of their very best worldwide service staff and top notch chefs and pastry chefs first year
Stamos previously of the Shop Andaz 5th Avenue and Luke from Park Hyatt Sydney They both were Hyatt alumni at their finest moments
It was awesome in service culture as well as one of the breakfast ever experienced in NYC

Won't be making any effort in the short term to pay going rates or use approx 700 to 800 dollars worth of points for a night
I know where to experience a good hard product in New York for a fraction of the price so speaking for myself
a superior breakfast is 50% off the expectation in a 5 Star regardless if paying for it directly or spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to earn the benefit
There is no such thing as a free breakfast in my mind only something you indirectly paid for.
Thankfully Door Dash gets me a great breakfasts in NYC and I can avoid overpaying for faux luxury
It boggles my mind when I think of Hyatt's History with the degree of culinary excellence historically and where they are today.
Especially as affluent guests are discerning and most do know the difference.
I wish I could understand why abroad most high quality standards still apply
Anyone have a theory as to why?
Old Dec 25, 2023, 11:37 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by SP03
It’s Park Hyatt hotel where majority of guests are staying on points and presumably many are Globalists not paying for breakfast. It completely changes the economics. I suspect cost cutting is the priority there based on all the comments here. It’s not operating on par with other luxury hotels.
We have all paid for our breakfast in advance just as we have for our points nights in the program
or through spending on credit cards.
Typically its all part of the average daily rate built into the WOH system/scheme.
Its always a feel good moment to think free or complimentary but at the end of the day
its excessive cost cutting in a premium property.
And its clearly noticeable by many.My two cents
Merry Xmas Happy Holiday Season all
Cheers
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 12:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Thank You for sharing your experience.Seems like the ship keeps sinking
Wish you could have been there for the opening and experienced for yourself how outstanding it was in an
elegant dining room with multiple flavors of Stauds preserves from Austria on every table.
First experienced these at the Grand Hyatt Berlin and I import them from Europe.as I have never seen them sold here in the US
Hyatt pulled out all the stops bringing in some of their very best worldwide service staff and top notch chefs and pastry chefs first year
Stamos previously of the Shop Andaz 5th Avenue and Luke from Park Hyatt Sydney They both were Hyatt alumni at their finest moments
It was awesome in service culture as well as one of the breakfast ever experienced in NYC

Won't be making any effort in the short term to pay going rates or use approx 700 to 800 dollars worth of points for a night
I know where to experience a good hard product in New York for a fraction of the price so speaking for myself
a superior breakfast is 50% off the expectation in a 5 Star regardless if paying for it directly or spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to earn the benefit
There is no such thing as a free breakfast in my mind only something you indirectly paid for.
Thankfully Door Dash gets me a great breakfasts in NYC and I can avoid overpaying for faux luxury
It boggles my mind when I think of Hyatt's History with the degree of culinary excellence historically and where they are today.
Especially as affluent guests are discerning and most do know the difference.
I wish I could understand why abroad most high quality standards still apply
Anyone have a theory as to why?
The theory is pretty clear. Affluent guests are discerning and are not paying to stay at the PHNY. Cost cutting is a vicious cycle. The more you cut, the more you drive away cash paying customers, until what you are left with are those staying on points.

While you are correct, point stays are not free stays. There is an absolute difference in terms of ancillary spending between the two.

I don’t disagree with you that it’s shortsighted to start cost cutting but that’s exactly what management is doing here. I suspect the only people paying cash are those on the WOH hamster wheel traveling on company dimes.
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 8:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I wonder what the breakdown here is for stays

1) points
2) cash from personal pocket
3) cash from expense account

Based on all the reviews here, I'll never do 2) and likely never 1) but I could see many using redemptions here. There's obviously bad economics for this hotel and they cut to survive rather than go up.

That to me encapsulates Park Hyatts brand image. I like sometimes love the brand. But Hyatt thinks of it as the top but it isn't compared to Rosewood, etc
Old Dec 26, 2023, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by SHLTP
I wonder what the breakdown here is for stays

1) points
2) cash from personal pocket
3) cash from expense account

Based on all the reviews here, I'll never do 2) and likely never 1) but I could see many using redemptions here. There's obviously bad economics for this hotel and they cut to survive rather than go up.

That to me encapsulates Park Hyatts brand image. I like sometimes love the brand. But Hyatt thinks of it as the top but it isn't compared to Rosewood, etc
It was the number 3 most redeemed hotel in all of Hyatt using points.

There are probably some people paying cash to stay there because of the Park Hyatt brand, but I doubt it’s a large number.

I didn’t see any reviews from people paying cash on a quick search on TripAdvisor
Old Dec 26, 2023, 6:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Gold, BA Gold
Oups am I the only silly one paying cash for a long weekend there next year (despite all the negative comments on breakfast and service)…?
Cheapest prepaid rate + SUA to a guaranteed One Bedroom City View Suite.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Sophoclefr
Oups am I the only silly one paying cash for a long weekend there next year (despite all the negative comments on breakfast and service)…?
If Hyatt status is important, then may be not.

In general, I think the consensus is if you can find a confirmable suite, then book with points with SUA.

If you are paying cash and want a luxury hotel, then there are better options elsewhere.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 7:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
I guess only you can determine that, but based on your posting history it seems that maintaining Globalist status isn't really an issue for you and you don't need more EQNs or points.

So, frankly were I in your shoes, and with your budget, the Park Hyatt NYC is absolutely not where I'd be staying with my own cash when in the city. There are just so, so many better options and missing 3-5 EQNs from staying with Hyatt would seemingly have zero impact for your situation.

Regards
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 7:24 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Like you I’ve only read the reviews, but unlike you I’d never consider paying cash here assuming they are accurate. Life’s too short.

I’m in New York next week myself and am staying at the Dreams Downtown to get the brand badge (probably a bad idea too). There are some adequate mid/high Hyatt properties in the city - perhaps the Andaz might be a good fit for you?

Last edited by EuropeanPete; Dec 26, 2023 at 7:31 am
Old Dec 26, 2023, 9:38 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
If I was paying cash, and wanted the same neighborhood/service/experience, I'd stay at the Ritz (which we do 2-3x per year).
Old Dec 26, 2023, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by OhDoctor
If I was paying cash, and wanted the same neighborhood/service/experience, I'd stay at the Ritz (which we do 2-3x per year).
Highly recommend the Baccarat for a more boutique experience.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 10:01 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by SP03
Highly recommend the Baccarat for a more boutique experience.
Don't love the location, which is right by 30 Rock. Would rather be right on the park.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 10:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Gold, BA Gold
Thanks all for the suggestions (and right I don’t care at all about 4 EQN) but it’s a prepaid rate so too late to switch to the Andaz (and yes I’ll be a tourist so happy to be close to Central Park) or Ritz for this time…maybe next one(except if I’m positively surprised with the PH with low expectations following all the bad reviews here )?
EuropeanPete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.