Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2022, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by steveholt
Pre-arrival message said "POOL WILL BE CLOSED 6PM-8PM 3/28-4/2 AND WILL RE-OPEN 8PM-9PM." (I don't believe this was mentioned at the initial time of booking, as it doesn't show up in the same box in my confirmation, but I'm willing to allow that it was possible.)

I arrived at 3 PM and was told pool was closed, full stop.
Yeah no, that's absurd. I suppose I would accept a fully comped stay under those circumstances but I still wouldn't be thrilled about it.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 9:13 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Yeah no, that's absurd. I suppose I would accept a fully comped stay under those circumstances but I still wouldn't be thrilled about it.
A fully comped stay because the pool was closed?

haha
Old Apr 3, 2022, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I don't think my stay should be fully comped because the pool was closed all day unexpectedly, but I do think there's a middle ground between nothing and full freebie.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt
I don't think my stay should be fully comped because the pool was closed all day unexpectedly, but I do think there's a middle ground between nothing and full freebie.
As I said above, I'd probably lead with asking for a walk to an equivalent hotel with a pool since I plan my trips to this property specifically around using that amenity (and I'd rather fix the problem than fish for cash).

Knowing that probably would not happen, and with no proper restaurant/limited evening menu in the lobby bar making a comped meal difficult I would expect 50% of the first night back would be appropriate on cash. A full night back on points. If it's a one nighter and that means the full stay back, c'est la vie.

Now, knowing how they operate - they'd probably try and offer the $150 bar credit or 30k points if you pushed them very hard.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
To followup, the hotel offered 15K points and I took that.
renila, ceebee100 and MarkOK like this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 9:30 am

so I've been reading this thread, but I still haven't found a definite answer for this; I am assuming there is no definite answer.

If I were to order full-breakfast, I should order room service. But is there a limit for room service order like there is for dine-ins?

Many Thanks,
Old Apr 7, 2022, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by bigfatchocolatebar
so I've been reading this thread, but I still haven't found a definite answer for this; I am assuming there is no definite answer.

If I were to order full-breakfast, I should order room service. But is there a limit for room service order like there is for dine-ins?

Many Thanks,
There is no definite answer, that is the point.

If you order room service and you order a reasonably indulgent amount, you are likely (but not guaranteed) to have all of it comped, even if you order more than just two of the (substantial) breakfast sets. That includes tax, service charge, delivery fee, the works.

But if you ask questions and seek clarification and are thus generally a PITA to the property--or if you order an unreasonably indulgent amount, even if you're polite about things--don't be surprised if you are charged overage. You could also be charged overage just on a random. But the right answer is to order what you want, enjoy the experience (which is a great experience, assuming you're on points), and not sweat a few bucks of overage in the first place. YMMV.
beachfan likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
My one time:

it was a comedy of billing errors, eventually sorted out. Four calls to get one item right and then to remove the double charge from the bill.

No pushback, just incompetence .
Old Apr 7, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by beachfan
My one time:

it was a comedy of billing errors, eventually sorted out. Four calls to get one item right and then to remove the double charge from the bill.

No pushback, just incompetence .
If it was incompetence, half the billing errors would be in guests' favor. That doesn't seem to be the case at PHNY.
platbrownguy, strickerj and MarkOK like this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by js1993
If it was incompetence, half the billing errors would be in guests' favor. That doesn't seem to be the case at PHNY.

The problem with that aphorism about not attributing to malice what may be incompetence is that ignores the possibility that both are at play.
strickerj and js1993 like this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 10:39 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
There is no definite answer, that is the point.

If you order room service and you order a reasonably indulgent amount, you are likely (but not guaranteed) to have all of it comped, even if you order more than just two of the (substantial) breakfast sets. That includes tax, service charge, delivery fee, the works.

But if you ask questions and seek clarification and are thus generally a PITA to the property--or if you order an unreasonably indulgent amount, even if you're polite about things--don't be surprised if you are charged overage. You could also be charged overage just on a random. But the right answer is to order what you want, enjoy the experience (which is a great experience, assuming you're on points), and not sweat a few bucks of overage in the first place. YMMV.
Agree overall with this in premise and as another possible data point below.
I enjoyed my stay taken last summer because of room service
Ordered a fruit plate, bagel and salmon ,hot tea and juice and all charges were removed
Where they were previously serving breakfast in the bar area it was never intended to be the sole restaurant
The service on a number of stays were poor before the pandemic.
If you are seated at one of the tables facing the wall you have no eye contact
with any of the service team a big no noin a 5 star hotel.
Then of course there was the stricter limits imposed before the pandemic

At the end of the day if you can’t afford a second entree per person you probably
shouldn’t be staying there or ordering it 😮
From my own experience one is probably fine ordering juice coffe or tea etc
and main course and a side or two
Next time I stay I will try ordering 4 massive entrees per person and see how it goes to test😷😜
Being a confirmed PITA to the property is currently being updated in the World Of Hyatt Program 😂
Each property will have the ability to decide which guest is the ultimate PITA

BTW years ago seriously Hyatt had guests graded in their profile.
You could be coded as a VDG in their computer systems data base
Not certain if that still exits

Hyatt Trivia Question Anyone know what a VDG coding in your account stands for?

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Apr 7, 2022 at 10:45 am
Old Apr 7, 2022, 11:10 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by bigfatchocolatebar

Many Thanks,
The reality is despite Hyatt having historically the best breakfast of any program
it’s not what it once was in some hotels
and has devalued quite a bit in some properties with some positive exceptions
Unfortunately there has always been too many gray areas in the written terms which now
seem a bit frugal in the detailed description
The delivery of those elite benefits vary widely more than ever before and clearly different in every hotel.
For myself I do not go back to a hotel that reinvents their version of the World of Hyatt breakfast
benefit to their own satisfaction

To add to that with the recent devaluation I now seek alternative brands frequently that offer
better value with or without breakfast offered
as select Hyatt hotels micromanage the elite breakfast benefit as to what may likely suit their budget better
Being Hyatt can’t seem to deliver complete consistency with the benefit anymore I just go with the flow
and stay where I’m taken care of fairly or don’t return
Old Apr 7, 2022, 11:22 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound

Hyatt Trivia Question Anyone know what a VDG coding in your account stands for?
Very Demanding Guest?
59Impala and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Very Demanding Guest?
Voluntarily Departing (by) Guillotine
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 4:40 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound

V8 is the code. It still exists.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.