Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by RedSun
I know you are pretty much against PH NYC. But its one bed room suite is truly a suite. The living area is totally separate from sleeping area. Below is a section of Wikipedia:

A suite in a hotel or other public accommodation such as a cruise ship denotes, according to most dictionary definitions, connected rooms under one room number. Hotels may refer to suites as a class of accommodations with more space than a typical hotel room, but technically speaking there must be more than one room to constitute a true suite.

If you look up other dictionaries, you get same definition.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had really bad luck with PHNY suite upgrade. So I do not know how you can keep commenting on PHNY suites if you have never or seldomly stayed at its suites.

I did not use my TSU since part of the stay was on reward night and TSU can't be applied. We are grateful that we were upgraded to a real suite on its top floor. There was no street noise at all and we can see the Central Park right out of our windows.

As for the service, the service was superb. Room service checked at room a couple times a day. Engineer comes to help within 5 minutes of service call. What else can we expect? The service was not poor at all.
I really like the hotel, but the actual room type that is confirmable with a TSU is not a true suite per your definition. It is a nice junior suite, but there is no door separating the seating area from the bedroom so technically it does not have more than one room and it is not much of an upgrade over a standard room.

So the one bedroom suite that you received is NOT the TSU suite and although you used to be able to confirm that true suite for an additional $300 cash on top of the 30,000 points/night, when the cash and points suite option was formalized last year that cash portion jumped to half the rack rate so now it's usually 30,000 points plus $600-800/night to confirm a true suite. The hotel is still great but if you actually need a true suite for a baby or something I would not pick this hotel because upgrades to true suites have been hit or miss for me even when all 3 of the true suite room types have been showing available online and were offered for a cash upgrade. Some people seem to get them all the time, but I think I've only received a true suite without asking or paying a cash upgrade fee once out of 6 or 7 stays.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:14 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by spgplat21
I really like the hotel, but the actual room type that is confirmable with a TSU is not a true suite per your definition. It is a nice junior suite, but there is no door separating the seating area from the bedroom so technically it does not have more than one room and it is not much of an upgrade over a standard room.

So the one bedroom suite that you received is NOT the TSU suite and although you used to be able to confirm that true suite for an additional $300 cash on top of the 30,000 points/night, when the cash and points suite option was formalized last year that cash portion jumped to half the rack rate so now it's usually 30,000 points plus $600-800/night to confirm a true suite. The hotel is still great but if you actually need a true suite for a baby or something I would not pick this hotel because upgrades to true suites have been hit or miss for me even when all 3 of the true suite room types have been showing available online and were offered for a cash upgrade. Some people seem to get them all the time, but I think I've only received a true suite without asking or paying a cash upgrade fee once out of 6 or 7 stays.
The one bedroom suite we stayed is a "premium" suite, per PH information. As I indicated, I did not use the TSU. I was fully prepared not to receive any suite upgrade. Guests are not entitled to receive room upgrade, or the suite upgrade.

It is very subjective as to the "not much" an upgrade. Upgrade to a larger studio suite is clearly an upgrade, even 100 sf larger.

This is true to almost all loyalty programs. So I do not know why it is PHNY's fault not to give you a suite upgrade. I've heard similar complaints with Marriott not to upgrade guests to villas. The demand is not even reasonable.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The one bedroom suite we stayed is a "premium" suite, per PH information.
Premium Suite is not a TSU eligible suite. As already noted, the TSU "suite" at this property is not a suite. It's a junior suite, located on 9th floor (or lower) and facing 57th street. So dark and loud.
Guests are not entitled to receive room upgrade, or the suite upgrade.

Huh? May I suggest you read WoH T&C?
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee
Premium Suite is not a TSU eligible suite. As already noted, the TSU "suite" at this property is not a suite. It's a junior suite, located on 9th floor (or lower) and facing 57th street. So dark and loud.

Huh? May I suggest you read WoH T&C?
I never said Premium Suite is TSU eligible. I did not use the TSU at all. But I received Premium True Suite upgrade from a King room. I'm not the only one who received suite upgrade. I do not care about other types of suites, like City View etc. That is just a corner suite with both two sides of windows.

What part of WoH T&C are you super concerned with? Suite upgrade?
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:54 pm

the suite that globalists are entitled to is not truly a suite, which I (and most other people) consider as a room with a door/wall between the living area and the bedroom. i don't know where your 50-50 figure on a "true" suite upgrade comes (i.e one bedroom suite vs one king bed suite) from. that, along with the occasional service mishaps make people dislike the property.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
The one bedroom suite we stayed is a "premium" suite, per PH information. As I indicated, I did not use the TSU. I was fully prepared not to receive any suite upgrade. Guests are not entitled to receive room upgrade, or the suite upgrade.

It is very subjective as to the "not much" an upgrade. Upgrade to a larger studio suite is clearly an upgrade, even 100 sf larger.

This is true to almost all loyalty programs. So I do not know why it is PHNY's fault not to give you a suite upgrade. I've heard similar complaints with Marriott not to upgrade guests to villas. The demand is not even reasonable.
I wasn't trying to complain; just merely point out that you were incorrect regarding the TSU-eligible suite. And certain guests most certainly are entitled to room upgrades (including to suites), subject to availability.

But I don't think it's unreasonable for anyone to expect an actual suite when using a "suite" upgrade offered by a program after staying 55-60 nights. I still stay at the property for all the positives you mention, but it's a little ridiculous that the TSU-eligible suite is not an actual suite (and conveniently there are only a few of them). This is especially frustrating when I can't remember the lowest-level true suite ever being sold out during any of my prior stays.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 6:49 am
Suspended

Some people compare PHNY services to overseas hotel services. They are totally different situations. In Asia, people consider foreign hotels to be higher class and they try extremely hard to please guests. Also worker wages are lower. Even in some of the mid level Marriott, I have had many waiters standing there to serve.

This was very obvious when I stayed at PH Shanghai. It was never any lack of service. But sometimes I felt it was too much and became intrusive. Some tried so hard to please guests and made guests uncomfortable.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Some people compare PHNY services to overseas hotel services. They are totally different situations. In Asia, people consider foreign hotels to be higher class and they try extremely hard to please guests. Also worker wages are lower.
First step is always to stop digging. In my view, the PHNY has very nice hard product, which is ill-served by the poor service for the hotel category. Even compared to its supposed peers in NYC itself.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 7:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pickles
First step is always to stop digging. In my view, the PHNY has very nice hard product, which is ill-served by the poor service for the hotel category. Even compared to its supposed peers in NYC itself.
I didn’t feel any poor service at all. I wanted to be treated as a hotel guest, not a foreign dignitaries.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I didn’t feel any poor service at all. I wanted to be treated as a hotel guest, not a foreign dignitaries.
Well, good for you. Some people are more forgiving of such things as poor service in a hotel that deigns to charge those rates.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 8:58 am
Suspended

Well, good for you. Some people are more forgiving of such things as poor service in a hotel that deigns to charge those rates.
Some people mentioned the butlers at St. Regis. But I do not need any of that. Shoe shine? We did not wear dress shoes since we were on vacation; Newspaper? all news is on our phones or tablets; Fresh coffee or tea? We did not stay at hotel during the day. The coffee pods were more than what we could consume.

I only wish they could have a club lounge. But with a hotel only have 210 units, that would not be used much.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some people mentioned the butlers at St. Regis. But I do not need any of that. Shoe shine? We did not wear dress shoes since we were on vacation; Newspaper? all news is on our phones or tablets; Fresh coffee or tea? We did not stay at hotel during the day. The coffee pods were more than what we could consume.

I only wish they could have a club lounge. But with a hotel only have 210 units, that would not be used much.
To me, it's not so much the butlers or whatever. It's the passive-aggressive, adversarial "we don't give a d@mn" attitude that pervades the hotel staff here. The stories of people asking 3 or 4 times for a coffee refill are emblematic. Shades of dealing with the DMV or the IRS, where most interactions with the staff are fraught and viewed as intrusions by the people working there. Eye rolls, sighs, haughtiness, minimum work ethic, all have no place in a hotel of this caliber.

My favorite anecdote is during a stay on a weekend. I go to the pool, and its disgusting, mobbed by families and just plain unpleasant. Granted, there's nothing the hotel can do if people want to use the pool. But the tableau was one where the "lifeguard" basically sat on her "lifeguard" chair scrolling through her phone, and it was clear that nobody had bothered to replace towels or clean up the messes left by the "guests" for hours. Even the locker rooms looked like a typhoon had passed by, with towels and garbage all over the place and wet floors everywhere.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 10:44 am
Suspended

To me, it's not so much the butlers or whatever. It's the passive-aggressive, adversarial "we don't give a d@mn" attitude that pervades the hotel staff here. The stories of people asking 3 or 4 times for a coffee refill are emblematic. Shades of dealing with the DMV or the IRS, where most interactions with the staff are fraught and viewed as intrusions by the people working there. Eye rolls, sighs, haughtiness, minimum work ethic, all have no place in a hotel of this caliber.

My favorite anecdote is during a stay on a weekend. I go to the pool, and its disgusting, mobbed by families and just plain unpleasant. Granted, there's nothing the hotel can do if people want to use the pool. But the tableau was one where the "lifeguard" basically sat on her "lifeguard" chair scrolling through her phone, and it was clear that nobody had bothered to replace towels or clean up the messes left by the "guests" for hours. Even the locker rooms looked like a typhoon had passed by, with towels and garbage all over the place and wet floors everywhere.
Well, I would understand if that had happened to us. But I never saw that several times I was in gym and pool areas. And this was busy holiday season. Maybe folks were busy outside?

Similar experience with GH Washington DC. So many people here complained at FT. But when I visited there, I did not experience any of the "faults" people complained loudly like club lounge, breakfast, parking and room noise....
Old Dec 31, 2019, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by awu25
Your review reminds me of a data point on service:
You mentioned the waiter forgetting coffee. I had a stay back in November and recall the following incident. Lady next to me at breakfast ordered a coffee. Got the initial cup of coffee and then asked for a refill. 5 minutes later, she flagged someone down and asked for the coffee again. Another 5 minutes go by, and she has to flag someone else to ask for coffee. Another 5ish minutes go by and she asks again. At that point, I had left so no idea if she ever got the coffee. Once is excusable, but to have to ask 3 times at a 5 star hotel is really unacceptable.
A PH or genuine five star hotel should anticipate the need for more coffee and offer a refill proactively without being asked, possibly with an exception for specialty coffees such as cappuccino, where the correct protocol would be to proactively come to the table and ask if the customer would like another. It should not be necessary to catch the attention of some employee to ask for more coffee at breakfast even once.
tearex and solewalker like this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A PH or genuine five star hotel should anticipate the need for more coffee and offer a refill proactively without being asked, possibly with an exception for specialty coffees such as cappuccino, where the correct protocol would be to proactively come to the table and ask if the customer would like another. It should not be necessary to catch the attention of some employee to ask for more coffee at breakfast even once.
I would be still very happy to check in the One Bedroom suite and skip the coffee, newspaper and shoe shine and possibly more..... Do not need those Five Star services. Better to skip them all together.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.