Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency LAX REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Current Parking Prices (as of 8/4/2019) at QuikPark LAX; same shuttle as Hyatt.

Valet $55 per night
Self Park with In/Out $48 per night
Overnight Self Park $28 per night

https://www.quikparklosangelesairport.com/reservations/
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Regency LAX REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2023, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by IggySD
I may be misunderstanding but how is that deceptive? Did the server receive what you wrote down on the tip line? I interpret what you said as the automatic Glob tip is $1, which while it is lower than one would expect, isn’t the same as the restaurant taking an 80% cut of manually added tips.
I am not the OP on this topic, just a commentator. I interpreted his story as he left an additional manual amount on the discretionary tip line, only to later learn that most of it went to the establishment and not the server.
Old May 11, 2023, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by redbirdsj
Good to know but the fact remains that having a tip line on a receipt without disclosing that the vast majority of it goes to the restaurant/hotel is deceptive.
Originally Posted by Visconti
Ah, not an uncommon practice in CA cities such as LA & SF, though not sure how widespread it really is. While not suggesting what one should or shouldn't do, it's always been my practice to tip in cash (while leaving $1 on the CC receipt), if only because there will be some assurances the person for whom it was meant will actually get to keep it.
The practice in many restaurants is to divide the tips between servers and other staff. If the employer keeps the tips, that's illegal and there have been some high-profile actions by the Labor Commissioner to recover from the miscreants under Labor Code § 351. E.g., https://www.dir.ca.gov/DIRNews/2022/2022-89.html
Boraxo likes this.
Old May 11, 2023, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by 59Impala
Breakfast here is really great. Great service as well.
I left a 5$ tip on top of the „Gratuities included with Globalist breakfast“ and I felt very generous.

only to learn…. That the hotel gives the waiter a 1$ tip for Globalist breakfasts…. And I went from feeling great to really bad.

this is outrageous. I noted it on the post stay survey and requested an answer from the hotel, nothing received 4 days after stay…
Did you actually get charged the $5 for the tip? Before I learned that the tip was covered as part of the Globalist breakfast, I left a separate tip a few times expecting it to show up on my bill but it never did. I asked once about it and was told as tip is already covered as part of breakfast they just ignore the amount a Globalist customer adds.
Old May 11, 2023, 1:57 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by redbirdsj
I am not the OP on this topic, just a commentator. I interpreted his story as he left an additional manual amount on the discretionary tip line, only to later learn that most of it went to the establishment and not the server.
If that is the case then as Kacee mentioned that’s not just shady but illegal. Very curious now for clarification but the post does specify “Globalist breakfasts” which is what made me think it was the auto tip. And a good reminder to always leave tips in cash.
Old May 11, 2023, 2:44 pm

I was referring only to the idea that they receive 1 dollar as an auto globalist tip when nothing is added. I presume that based on the op, adding 5 or any other dollar amount would go to the server. Nothing stated by anyone indicated that if you added a manual amount that the hotel is not passing it along.

And separately, I forgot the minimum acceptable standard wage for all jobs now is that "you live like a king".
Old May 11, 2023, 5:01 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Topic Check

We're wandering a bit from the thread topic. Please use this other existing thread if you wish to continue discussing the behind-the-scenes distribution or apportionment of the Globalist tip on breakfast: Do staff really receive the gratuity on globalist breakfasts?

Thanks!
Old May 11, 2023, 5:06 pm

I may have misinterpreted the OP's meaning. If so, apologies for steering this thread off-topic. In my opinion this whole conversation illustrates the absurdity of the restaurant tipping culture, which I'm reminded of as I prepare for a trip to Japan, where there is zero brainpower expended by customers on attempting to understand the true compensation of service providers and if a customer-initiated supplement is warranted.
Old May 11, 2023, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Breakfast here is really great. Great service as well. I left a 5$ tip on top of the „Gratuities included with Globalist breakfast“ and I felt very generous…
Agreed. ~20 stays/~60-80 nights (~70 breakfast buffets) at this hotel over the past 5 years, I too always write “5.00” on the tip line of the receipt for the terrific staff.

I do not know how much of that $5.00 the servers receive, I do know that I cannot ever recall seeing those $5.00 charges on my folio at check-out and I do know that several of the breakfast servers have been working there for the past 4-5 years, which I presume (considering the turnover I’ve seen at other restaurants) is indicative of the hotel treating (and perhaps paying) them reasonably well.
Old May 11, 2023, 10:42 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Did you actually get charged the $5 for the tip? Before I learned that the tip was covered as part of the Globalist breakfast, I left a separate tip a few times expecting it to show up on my bill but it never did. I asked once about it and was told as tip is already covered as part of breakfast they just ignore the amount a Globalist customer adds.
no, I left a cash tip, as service was great and thought this would be on top of the 18-20% tip I would have expected the hotel to pay the server.
Old May 11, 2023, 10:45 pm
formerly a193991

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by Zorak
Topic Check

We're wandering a bit from the thread topic. Please use this other existing thread if you wish to continue discussing the behind-the-scenes distribution or apportionment of the Globalist tip on breakfast: Do staff really receive the gratuity on globalist breakfasts?

Thanks!
sorry, should have posted only there. Maybe move all these posts over?
Old May 12, 2023, 3:23 pm

Back on topic...suddenly, FNA availability came open for 6/12-6/13 so I booked it up, coincided with my WOH 15K FNA posting so perfect timing. It will make my walk from the Budget rental car lot a little further, but it will give the family the HR experience I guess and be closer to the airport and if some catastrophe strikes the shuttle, we can walk it the next morning much easier. I am crossing my fingers that Alaska has some random delay for my 7:15 flight like they did when we left SAN last year. It was the best delay ever, just a bummers we didn't get word about the delay until after I had already woken up super early to get ready to leave early, but at least we hadn't checked out of the hotel yet so we got to relax for 4 hours or so and Alaska gave us some airport meal vouchers, which we didn't realize they provided until after we were flying home, but we were able to use them in HNL.

Oops...so much for going back on topic!

Anyway, I got my room, happy for it, and crossing fingers I will be able to enjoy it longer than current planned.
gadberry likes this.
Old May 28, 2023, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I left a 5$ tip on top of the „Gratuities included with Globalist breakfast“ and I felt very generous.

only to learn…. That the hotel gives the waiter a 1$ tip for Globalist breakfasts…. And I went from feeling great to really bad.

this is outrageous. I noted it on the post stay survey and requested an answer from the hotel, nothing received 4 days after stay…
Can you provide more specifics about the breakfast? I can't decide whether to pick HR or HP LAX.

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I’m not a fan of the Qantas First Lounge @ LAX it’s mediocre meh dining but a nice space to drink and hang before a flight
The staff are quite nice and hospitable
I’d much rather have breakfast at the Hyatt Regency LAX and then if you wish you can still order something in the lounge
In Sydney the Qantas First lounge does an exceptional breakfast and worth getting there early for
Did you try the lunch/dinner menu?

​​​​​​​If you meant breakfast, then I totally agree with you. I was underwhelmed by the breakfast at QF F. I posted my opinion and a copy of the menu in the QF F LAX thread.
Old May 28, 2023, 2:29 pm
formerly a193991

Originally Posted by lsquare
Can you provide more specifics about the breakfast? I can't decide whether to pick HR or HP LAX.
they have fresh fruits which are very tasty, melons which are ripe and not hard. Standard eggs, bacon, and rotating a special warm egg dish, pancakes/waffles. Various toast, bagels, other bread, also sweet treats such as banana nut bread, danish. If I recall correctly, they also had salmon.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 30, 2023, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by lsquare
… Would you say this is the best Hyatt around LAX?
“Best” is completely subjective. I like this hotel because it is walkable (for me) from all terminals at LAX, has a terrific (comfort food) buffet breakfast, as a Hyatt globalist I’ve always been able to upgrade to a suite, the fitness center has wonderful views of the airport and after many stays, the hotel management takes very good care of me. I’ve only stayed at three or four other LAX hotels so I’m not in a position to say which of ALL the hotels at LAX is the best.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 30, 2023, 11:53 pm
formerly a193991

I have not heard back from the hotel after more than 3 weeks after my stay. I have now contacted "Consumer Affairs".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.