Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency LAX REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Current Parking Prices (as of 8/4/2019) at QuikPark LAX; same shuttle as Hyatt.

Valet $55 per night
Self Park with In/Out $48 per night
Overnight Self Park $28 per night

https://www.quikparklosangelesairport.com/reservations/
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Regency LAX REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
MLOS restrictions are hot garbage - sadly seems like every chain can get away with them (have many Marriott examples, hope they don't infest Hyatt too)
It's not exactly minimum stay (which Andaz Maui pioneered and is still the most glaring offender); this property offers some individual nights for awards. It's more active blocking of one-night redemptions on specific nights. Which pretty much destroys the value for an airport hotel.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 5:58 am

I'm on Day Three of seven here. I'm strict vegetarian so you might think the Regency Club evening fare is great for me, with just the cheese a "no" for me. But really, carrots three ways? (Raw is good; the roasted ones are way too oily, like all the roasted former-vegetables; the pickled ones maybe just unappealing to me.) Pita bread is okay, but something I associate with hummus, which they don't have, or anything like it.

I'm part of a minority population; I don't expect vegetarian food anywhere, certainly don't demand it. I feel like they are trying to cater to me (why? LA locals aren't staying here, though I guess they lean my way) and missing the mark by miles. Still, raw carrots and celery are good, but every night? and without anything to dress/go with them? 42 years with this chosen diet, five plain celery sticks is about my limit. I suspect they think cheese is vegetarian food; another "miss".

The all-day offerings - nuts/seeds and raisins - are nice. %$☆~% K-cups. No real coffee any time of day. Real newspapers, yay!

One other RC oddity: there is a fairly large gathering/international convention here. The participants have RC access, as opposed to catering, so at breakfast there was a mad crush, then silence. Other than the brief seatless/food shortage crush, it was fine.

For a new hotel, I was surprised to find fitness center equipment several generations old, but it's okay, as is the gym overall.

Check in was fine, housekeeping staff passed in the halls have been pleasant (or better). The guy in the RC my first night seemed outgoing, but pretty focused on friends/regulars who were most of the population, so fair enough. Only one RC host, with second bringing food.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
I'm on Day Three of seven here. I'm strict vegetarian so you might think the Regency Club evening fare is great for me, with just the cheese a "no" for me. But really, carrots three ways? (Raw is good; the roasted ones are way too oily, like all the roasted former-vegetables; the pickled ones maybe just unappealing to me.) Pita bread is okay, but something I associate with hummus, which they don't have, or anything like it.

I'm part of a minority population; I don't expect vegetarian food anywhere, certainly don't demand it. I feel like they are trying to cater to me (why? LA locals aren't staying here, though I guess they lean my way) and missing the mark by miles. Still, raw carrots and celery are good, but every night? and without anything to dress/go with them? 42 years with this chosen diet, five plain celery sticks is about my limit. I suspect they think cheese is vegetarian food; another "miss".

The all-day offerings - nuts/seeds and raisins - are nice. %$☆~% K-cups. No real coffee any time of day. Real newspapers, yay!

One other RC oddity: there is a fairly large gathering/international convention here. The participants have RC access, as opposed to catering, so at breakfast there was a mad crush, then silence. Other than the brief seatless/food shortage crush, it was fine.

For a new hotel, I was surprised to find fitness center equipment several generations old, but it's okay, as is the gym overall.

Check in was fine, housekeeping staff passed in the halls have been pleasant (or better). The guy in the RC my first night seemed outgoing, but pretty focused on friends/regulars who were most of the population, so fair enough. Only one RC host, with second bringing food.

Hmmmm... someone with very specific dietary needs who expects the club lounge to provide DINNER every single night.

Why not simply use the club as intended (appetizers) then go buy yourself a proper dinner at one of LAs many vegan/vegetarian restaurants?
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:20 am

Reread that second paragraph. My expectations are for no food at all. My point was only that, if someone thinks that the evening fare suits ANYONE they may be deceived. What is offered is unimaginative on a single day, not to mention day after day - admittedly, it's an airport hotel so long stays are no the norm. And the normal thought of this (say pita bread or a raw carrot) goes with that (hummus, some dip/spread) is absent.

I should correct: there is a coffee maker this morning; it was out for repair until this morning.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Reread that second paragraph. My expectations are for no food at all. My point was only that, if someone thinks that the evening fare suits ANYONE they may be deceived. What is offered is unimaginative on a single day, not to mention day after day - admittedly, it's an airport hotel so long stays are no the norm. And the normal thought of this (say pita bread or a raw carrot) goes with that (hummus, some dip/spread) is absent.

I should correct: there is a coffee maker this morning; it was out for repair until this morning.

Personally, as a food allergy sufferer, I like the fact that Hyatt club offerings are fairly standard and predictable. I can grab a quick snack and not have to ask for a list of ingredients. It’s typically simple food done reasonably well...

If you want more of a gourmet experience you should consider a higher level (and priced as such) brand such as Ritz Carlton which has extremely elaborate spread in the lounge every night....
Old Mar 6, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Kacee
Hoping to burn a Cat 4, but this property is blocking redemptions for an upcoming date (March 5) by only offering "Club Access" rooms for sale.
Following up on this.

The property actively blocked redemptions through inventory games until morning of March 5; i.e., redemption space opened for same day stays only. This is right at the top of the list for most deliberate and egregious blocking I've seen. Appears specifically targeted at Cat 1-4 cert users.

I wound up booking on points at Sheraton Gateway, which upgraded me to one of their awesome corner suites with a runaway view.

Last edited by Kacee; Mar 6, 2020 at 11:39 am
Old Mar 6, 2020, 3:00 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Following up on this.

The property actively blocked redemptions through inventory games until morning of March 5; i.e., redemption space opened for same day stays only. This is right at the top of the list for most deliberate and egregious blocking I've seen. Appears specifically targeted at Cat 1-4 cert users.

I wound up booking on points at Sheraton Gateway, which upgraded me to one of their awesome corner suites with a runaway view.
I hear your frustration and while I don’t see the property as innocent I haven’t seen an enormous amount of dishonesty at this property with standard rooms historically or systemically as I have at say Andaz Maui where they remove many standard rooms till last minute one week or ten days before arrival

What I have seen @HR LAX is overpricing on revenue and a cut back in quality and variety of offerings in the club and restaurant in the mornings
The Sheraton Gateway was 135 for a weekday night last week and The Hyatt LAX 220 per night
The Sheraton gives Club access and 1000 points to Plats and above
If you don’t take the welcome points amenity you are allowed to dine in the restaurant for breakfast

The Sheraton Gateway beds are better however the team @ the Hyatt are superior
and the Hyatt food quality is marginally better
The value is better at Sheraton since the Hyatt started limiting fruit choices in the morning and having out of season fruit occasionally
As much as I like the Hyatt more overall I’m considering the Sheraton more
frequently now as I did in the the past

I will say Hyatt LAX has a 100% suite upgrade in my own experience to the Sheratons 90 % success ratio
both are great so while I don’t mind giving Hyatt 25 to 40 dollars more per night premium I’m not sure I can justify 80 or 90 more per night
Old Mar 6, 2020, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I hear your frustration and while I don’t see the property as innocent I haven’t seen an enormous amount of dishonesty at this property with standard rooms historically or systemically as I have at say Andaz Maui where they remove many standard rooms till last minute one week or ten days before arrival
I agree Andaz Maui is in a class by itself.

I don't know how this property historically handles award inventory, but for the night I was looking at they were consistently making King Club Access rooms available, while withholding the basic King room. Which meant you could not use a cert. I'm guessing they get lots of 1 night cert redemptions here.

Agree the Sheraton bed is very comfortable. I love the big table and the windows too.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Following up on this.

BTW if you ping Gary Leff at VFTW, he is great about forcing properties to open up space. Happy to do it on your behalf!
Kacee likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: La Quinta Elite IHGSPIRE HH Diamond BW Diamond Hyatt Diamond
Regency Club Changes

There seem to be good deals everywhere nowadays. Just checked in at 10am. $119/night this weekend. If you have a weekend stay they have made changes to the RC. You now get the breakfast buffet in the restaurant like they used to do before RC was open. It's open 6-11am. At night the RC is closed. They give you a $10.00 credit to use in the restaurant also. During the week (M-Th and Friday morning) the RC is open for breakfast 6-11. Evening service 5-10.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
! What will $10 buy? Not Much I fear ...

In the early days, before the lounge opened I used the bar a couple of times and two beers and buffalo wings came to over $30 with tip.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:57 pm

Programs: La Quinta Elite IHGSPIRE HH Diamond BW Diamond Hyatt Diamond
Early Check-in

On a side note:. I have had good luck checking-in early here. They have night time HK from 5pm-1am. I guess because of the flight crews arriving at all hours. I'm just reporting my experience. Always keep in mind YMMV.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
I have a few May bookings here and just spoke with hotel staff via phone. I was told the RC is permanently closed. Fitness center temporarily closed. She said RC closure was not covid related. It was due to “other problems” and no plans to reopen it. Not a good development. Can anyone confirm I was given correct RC info?
Old Apr 16, 2020, 11:34 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Hyatt brand standard is to have a regency club, but there are several HRs which don't have a club, so not impossible to imagine that they would get rid of it. I suspect it'll come back eventually regardless of what the staffer said, but maybe not for a while.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 12:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
I remembered I had contact info for a mgmt team member and he said the fitness center and RC are temporarily closed. He said the RC is not permanently closed. No idea when either will reopen. Sorry for the fake news based on what seemed like a reliable source (hotel staff).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.