Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2022, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by pesos
for an alternate data point from someone who lives in central Tokyo - Roppongi has changed/cleaned up significantly over the past 5-6 years and while I can’t speak to the GH itself the location is great for food, easy walking access to lots of great azabu neighborhoods, akasaka, aoyama and more. Hibiya line is also handy. Haven’t stayed at the Centric but we had a FT meetup there recently and it looks nice - but ginza may or may not be your thing. Different strokes!
I lived for three years in Azabujuban, and find Roppongi basically irredeemable. It exists and serves a purpose, and that's OK! Agree on different strokes!
Old Oct 3, 2022, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by MattEvan
I lived for three years in Azabujuban, and find Roppongi basically irredeemable. It exists and serves a purpose, and that's OK! Agree on different strokes!
I liked Azabu Juban better before the Namboku line opened, and even more before Roppongi Hills opened. The atmosphere of genteel old-skool decrepitude and decay into irrelevance was wonderful. Even the residents had moss growing on them. The new pika pika Azabu Juban is fine, but it's too crowded, so nobody goes there anymore.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
I liked Azabu Juban better before the Namboku line opened, and even more before Roppongi Hills opened. The atmosphere of genteel old-skool decrepitude and decay into irrelevance was wonderful. Even the residents had moss growing on them. The new pika pika Azabu Juban is fine, but it's too crowded, so nobody goes there anymore.
So you liked AJ before I was born, most likely.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
So you liked AJ before I was born, most likely.
Were you born after April 25, 2003, when Roppongi Hills opened? You're a precocious young fella indeed.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
Were you born after April 25, 2003, when Roppongi Hills opened? You're a precocious young fella indeed.
Not that young. But correct on precious.

TIL about the stages of Namboku-sen construction!
Old Oct 3, 2022, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not that young. But correct on precious.

TIL about the stages of Namboku-sen construction!
Actually, I did not realize this, but the AJ Namboku-sen station opened in 2000, ahead of Roppongi Hills. I had an image that the station opened after (or simultaneously with) Roppongi Hills, So it was a combination of the station opening (on one end of the shotengai) and Roppongi Hills (at the other) that brought AJ into the present.

Anyway, the connection to the Andaz thread is that the building where the Andaz sits is owned by the same group that owns Roppongi Hills and the Grand Hyatt on site.
MattEvan likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Grand Hyatt is fine but boring and Roppongi is the worst. Centric at least is in a somewhat interesting location.
Why dont you like Roppongi? Genuinely curious...
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by tripmaster
Why dont you like Roppongi? Genuinely curious...
It manages to somehow be grimey and sterile at the same time. It is overrun by the worst breeds of tourists, expats, and those looking to take advantage of tourists and expats. A virtuous cycle of awfulness.

There is nothing interesting about it. Oh, another Hills development by Mori with a dull Hyatt? Awesome!

tripmaster likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 1:15 pm

It's so hard to think of anywhere in Tokyo or Japan for that matter needing a safety patrol and being unsafe.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by antonius66
It's so hard to think of anywhere in Tokyo or Japan for that matter needing a safety patrol and being unsafe.
Welcome to Minato-ku! And, specifically, welcome to Roppongi!

NB: The safety agents are some of the most colorful characters in town.

Also, the way to think about it is not "unsafe". But rather "less safe" than some other popular places. I am sure there must be some kind of City security staff in Shinjuku, although I have never seen that.
tripmaster likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 4:29 pm

Globalist Upgrades

Is Andaz Tokyo still stingy with their room upgrades for Globalists? I understand they never give out suite upgrades.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by soojin
Is Andaz Tokyo still stingy with their room upgrades for Globalists? I understand they never give out suite upgrades.
They’re not stingy. They have an exemption to policy and probably regularly sell the suites.
soojin likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Aventine
They’re not stingy. They have an exemption to policy and probably regularly sell the suites.
That's not technically true. The policy exemption only concerns awards, not Globalist upgrades.

Andaz Tokyo is among the hotels that are termed Suite Award Ineligible Properties. This means that they are exempt from the policy of allowing reservation of suites with points, or using a TSU award to upgrade a room reservation to a Standard Suite reservation.

“Standard Suites” are defined as "each participating hotel’s or resort’s introductory suite category". Which in the case of Andaz Tokyo is the Andaz Suite. And Globalists "will receive the best room available at the time of check-in at Hyatt hotels and resorts, including Standard Suites and rooms with Club lounge-access." There is no mention of any exemption from this.

So indeed, the only explanation of not upgrading a Globalist to an available Andaz Suite is "stinginess".
Old Oct 8, 2022, 12:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by hailstorm
So indeed, the only explanation of not upgrading a Globalist to an available Andaz Suite is "stinginess".
I think a possible alternate explanation is that this is one of the frequent examples of Hyatt's poorly written T&C. It is likely that the exemption is also intended to include exemption from entitling Globalists an upgrade to a standard suite when available. Although of course you are correct that this exemption is not stated. It would be interesting to know the policy at other properties similarly exempted. I know that HR Kyoto, which is exempted from suite awards, does not normally upgrade Globalists to an available suite as standard policy.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Oct 8, 2022 at 12:18 am
Old Oct 8, 2022, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
I think a possible alternate explanation is that this is one of the frequent examples of Hyatt's poorly written T&C. It is likely that the exemption is also intended to include exemption from entitling Globalists an upgrade to a standard suite when available.
Intention is not a substitute for the words of the T&C. Earlier this year, I was able to check-in at a property before breakfast ended, and successfully argued that the T&C promised Globalists breakfast on the day of check-in if available. Several weeks later, the policy was changed to the current wording, "Breakfast benefit is provided following each night of a stay and will not be provided to Globalist Members on the day of check-in for their stay, regardless of how early they are permitted to check-in or whether breakfast is still being served at the applicable hotel or resort at the time they check-in."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.