FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

Weina Xiang Sep 12, 2014 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by llbad (Post 23516918)
For the price I paid for this hotel, I can't help but agree with you; it does not deliver the amount of value you would expect for the price. However, you mentioned that coffee is one serving only, which was absolutely not true during my stay. You also mentioned there is an 18% tip, which is true, but I'm fairly certain that is also comped as a part of your breakfast. I didn't check my bill, but if it wasn't comped I would be furious. The above lies aside, I honestly don't understand how people can stick up for a hotel of this caliber providing the minimum fruit&nut breakfast required by Hyatt :td:.

What frustrates me most is that, as a diamond member using a suite upgrade, you needed to complain in order to be upgraded to a real ocean view, when it was clearly vacant anyway. It makes me wish that I had complained about my "garden room", as it is likely there was another room open for me as well.

I'm honestly not a complainer. I won't say anything to the staff, because I don't feel entitled to any more than I am provided; they have full discretion in regards to how they treat me during my stay, and that's part of the contract I sign when I book the room. But if my experiences at the property do not provide enough value for the dollar amount paid, you better believe I will not return, and I will tell of my experiences. :rolleyes:

Sorry, my fault. Normally I only have one coffee and one juice for breakfast. Our waiter has never offered to fill up my cup after 1st serving so I probably have the wrong assumption.

What I really want to remind upcoming guests of is that lowering your expectation may make your stay more pleasant. Like I didn't expect we were able to move to a full ocean view suite, having valet parking worth 150 dollars waived by just throwing in a DSU, getting a variety selection of sauce/condiment when we only ordered one egg-dripping soup for room service and those giant turtles I was able to watch just off the beach. Andaz Maui has been either somehow overrated by some famous bloggers or downgraded dramatically ever since. For those who already have the reservation, it never hurts to get yourself prepared by lowering expectation.

imm2b Sep 12, 2014 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Weina Xiang (Post 23517064)
It was waived for me but because I complain to the GM so don't know if it was waived by GM. However, I do think it should be waived for normal complimentary breakfast. Their service is way below worth 18%.

I was there the same time as you were. I believe the 18% was inclusive of the Diamond comped breakfast. The breakfast bill indicates that 18% was already added. However, I didn't have to pay it at check-out. This is not just an Andaz Maui thing, it's mostly the same across all Hyatt properties. Though, some property will capped it at 18%, if you have given more, then you'll pay the difference.

ThreeA4Me Sep 12, 2014 6:51 pm

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Going with my daughter for three days and wondering what is the usual upgrade for Diamonds from garden room reservation?

peteropny Sep 12, 2014 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by imm2b (Post 23517295)
I was there the same time as you were. I believe the 18% was inclusive of the Diamond comped breakfast. The breakfast bill indicates that 18% was already added. However, I didn't have to pay it at check-out. This is not just an Andaz Maui thing, it's mostly the same across all Hyatt properties. Though, some property will capped it at 18%, if you have given more, then you'll pay the difference.

We had the same experience with the breakfast gratuity - paid for by the property and not on the folio.

I definitely agree with the assessment that "suite" 318 does not qualify as partial ocean view based on staying in 518 - that one IMO qualifies, 418 probably doesn't and 318 definitely does not. That said, it would be a very nice upgrade if you weren't booked into a suite (paid, points, DSU). I had a similar situation with a DSU in Minneapolis being placed in a new low floor suite in the annex, had an email exchange with a manager who said that confirmed suite guests won't be placed in those rooms anymore (this was in Dec) but recent reports have indicated that they've started this practice again :(

The breakfast, while disappointing, the new pantry breakfast does meet the T&Cs of a full breakfast since there is a hot egg dish and you could order a side (eggs, meat etc) from the server. But it is disappointing for one of the higher end property. And I still don't understand how it could save much in cost to the property - I think they should allow the whole buffet but eliminate ordering extras (entree, bottomless mimosas, etc) - which IMO is rather abusive (not saying that reports if it being done in the past have really been but the concept of it).

TKKY Sep 12, 2014 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me (Post 23518096)
Going with my daughter for three days and wondering what is the usual upgrade for Diamonds from garden room reservation?

I had a view of the parking lot.

cmjaffe Sep 12, 2014 9:40 pm

Well, we -- too- had been awarded a "parking lot" view, which I joked about at check=in. We were supposed to be switching to Regency at the end of our stay and when I explained that I was a little disappointed knowing that a day earlier there were standard view rooms available (we did show up after 6PM a little bit late, though we did have it noted). Our room had a glorious view of the parking attendant (not a true garden view... either higher or lower would have worked). What really bothered me was the full explosure of the room when the kids went on the balcony... it was hard to put the sheers down with them outside... we had absolutely no privacy -- if I could clearly see the attendant I'm sure they could of us too... not very comforting. Luckily we were told that we'd be switched to an ocean view the next day... albeit the handicap one. It was nice having access right off the mainly lobby but we had the trade off of no hanging space in the closet, a shower that constantly flooded -- through the hallway (if we didn't ultimately make a dam w/towels and no counter shelf in the bathroom The view was indeed nice, though in the evening we could clearly hear all conversations from the bar below (luckily we didn't mind falling asleep with TV on to filter out.
But all this we had come to expect prior to our stay, so I was prepared. We were on points and it was also during the time of the breakfast changeover (as well as spa and canoe). The staff was very accomodating at front desk (making sure we had blankets for early AM drive) as well as breakfast. Definitely saw a change in offerings from the first day's (Sunday) full to the next Monday's change in diamond's full to abreviated (which was still ample).
The $30 valet is steep, but that too, we were expecting. What I didn't expect was at check out to have to carefully go over bill with staff -- being over charged for extra breakfasts (had 4 in double room-- clerk said "you're only entitled to 2 -- "Please check with the manager"). So it took about 45 minutes longer than expected to check out (luckily our flight was delayed an hour). My advice is to allow sufficient time to check out to receive final folio and then check you charge account when the final bill posts. We're presently awaiting a correction in their booking. We had a lovely stay but think if and when we return to Maui (since we'd rather return to Kauai or Big Island) we'll save our points and stay at Regency since we found ourselves staying in that area more.
JMHO

ThreeA4Me Sep 12, 2014 10:54 pm

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Wow - a parking lot view for a Diamond! Yikes!

cmjaffe Sep 12, 2014 11:30 pm

We were prepared for Garden... but it was really "major parking lot"... we didn't demand... but was prepared to shorten stay and walk the next day (since we were going to have to switch mid-vacation because of availability anyway). It all worked out though... and everybody was very helpful... it just seems like things from the higher-ups are making decisions that the ones on the "ground" are left to "smooth over" and take the shots.

vbkamb Sep 13, 2014 1:08 am

What was the spa change that you noted in your post above?

I have seen conflicting reports about the spa now being complementary for only one visit per stay for diamonds now, as opposed to complimentary access throughout your stay.

Also, are the canoes now $15 per person, for even the early morning, 30 minute sessions, that used to be complimentary?

UnitedWeStand Sep 13, 2014 6:58 am

Originally Posted by vbkamb (Post 23518972)

I have seen conflicting reports about the spa now being complementary for only one visit per stay for diamonds now, as opposed to complimentary access throughout your stay.

Also, are the canoes now $15 per person, for even the early morning, 30 minute sessions, that used to be complimentary?

I am interested in this as well. I checked the website when the canoe change was mentioned and it still said complementary. Not sure about what it says today.

hailstorm Sep 13, 2014 7:27 am

Originally Posted by UnitedWeStand (Post 23519632)
I am interested in this as well. I checked the website when the canoe change was mentioned and it still said complementary. Not sure about what it says today.

Hyatt websites are rarely updated. It's been nearly a half year since Andaz Tokyo opted out of the Diamond Suite Upgrade program, but there is still no update on the Diamond benefit page.

peteropny Sep 13, 2014 7:34 am

Originally Posted by vbkamb (Post 23518972)

The spa access is now one day (with in and out privileges) for each person staying the room with the Diamond - you are given passes. Otherwise it is a steep $45 per day per person - nice facilities but rather limited in scope.

gmax58 Sep 13, 2014 8:56 am

Recently finished up trip to Andaz Maui for honeymoon (9/7-9/12). Like many, P&C option with DSU. Was very concerned when room on 2nd floor came up, but got room 240 - which has a pretty solid ocean view (although slightly obscured by one of the villas) from the bed.

Canoe is now $15/person/day (we had no problems getting in on one with one day's notice) and they no longer have the canoe competition at the end of the week (Andaz beach crew cited noise issues).

Used four days of Pantry (now complimentary) breakfast*, and to be honest, that actually was fine for both of us (there was a lack of variety, but we still had a lot and were very comfortable). Service was hit or miss (18% gratuity already included). Fifth day was full breakfast - I probably didn't use it "correctly" but didn't find it as exciting as others made it sound.**
*I had never stayed before at the Andaz Maui, so I never had the full breakfast/mimosa benefit.
**What does irk me is the inability to use the breakfast against other items, like the bento box, or for breakfast in bed (which we would have loved as we were on a honeymoon).

I liked the shuttle service (there are two vehicles - a Yukon and a [hybrid] Escalade) and the laundry room (which is very tucked away). Morimoto Maui was pretty meh (although the chicken noodle soup the wife had was fantastic), as were the healthy options at Bumbye (though the pork fries were very good). Resort takes a lot of getting used to when it comes to finding where various things are - especially since there are three wings and they are not always obviously connected.

Even with some faults, the wife really didn't want to leave - she really enjoyed it. And to me, that means a successful trip and a really solid hotel.

taipeiflyer Sep 13, 2014 9:19 am

what people need to stop doing is basing their expectations on those of "famous" bloggers (lmao). bloggers- by virtue of their pathetic profession- get certain perks that other guests simply do not enjoy. i think people's expectations are way out of whack, and it is ridiculous that people allow a simple breakfast change policy to create such a sea-change in people's perceptions of the property. enough with the freeloading.

cmjaffe Sep 13, 2014 12:22 pm

Major plus... Most of the staff

Wanted to add... during our week stay have some really great meetings with staff... some really great folks at front desk as well as breakfast (host/hostess) that were A+ in customer service etc (and I'm not saying "getting comped on the full breakfast experience) and valet parking. And yeah, you do get the one or two "sour apples" (an example the aux. person at juice bar on last day... being very difficult with request, which was rather basic.. yet all during the week the main guy was outstanding).
This Andaz (as most) is an individualized experience and should be taken as such. They are also evolving, still figuring out what their niche will be. Will it be a 5+* hotel... possibly not but for the price point etc. they deliver a very nice product.
JMHO