FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

BOSOGG Oct 2, 2014 11:19 am

Originally Posted by DCATraveler (Post 23615728)
I'm sure the answer is yes, but I thought I would ask anyway... Can the shuttle be arranged to pickup/dropoff at the Airport?

No, I don't think the hotel shuttle would provide airport transportation.
There are airport shuttle companies, such as Roberts Hawaii, with round-trip rates of $25-$85 per person, depending on #of people in your party.

catsassy Oct 2, 2014 11:41 am

I'm sure the answer is yes, but I thought I would ask anyway... Can the shuttle be arranged to pickup/dropoff at the Airport?

Or take a taxi around $50 each way

hailstorm Oct 2, 2014 3:15 pm

http://maui.andaz.hyatt.com/en/hotel...portation.html

A private sedan can be arranged directly with the resort for any airport transportation needs. Please contact a Guest Service Agent to make reservations.
I assume that this is not complimentary.

ZBigFam Oct 7, 2014 2:40 pm

Any recent stays to report? I would appreciate your feedback. Am debating a winter trip out with my fam (planning to book two rooms). We have young children and are considering either this property or the Grand Hyatt on Kauai. Although from what i hear the beach at the GH is inferior to the Andaz.

Any update on Diamond benefits? Not sure what to expect or not to expect.

Thanks everyone.

JetAway Oct 7, 2014 4:13 pm

This property seems to have dropped off the map after the new Diamond "benefits" were instituted. Has anything changed?

ZBigFam Oct 7, 2014 5:11 pm

Exactly, not sure what all the problems were but hope that things have stabilized for diamonds. Wanted to know if anyone with a family has stayed here recently.

sam_goh Oct 7, 2014 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 23640981)
Any recent stays to report? I would appreciate your feedback. Am debating a winter trip out with my fam (planning to book two rooms). We have young children and are considering either this property or the Grand Hyatt on Kauai. Although from what i hear the beach at the GH is inferior to the Andaz.

Any update on Diamond benefits? Not sure what to expect or not to expect.

Thanks everyone.

If you have young children, imo the GH on Kauai is a much better choice. Beach isn't as nice, but there's a killer pool complex, much larger grounds, cheaper eats to visit close by, etc.

ZBigFam Oct 8, 2014 6:35 am

Originally Posted by sam_goh (Post 23641917)
If you have young children, imo the GH on Kauai is a much better choice. Beach isn't as nice, but there's a killer pool complex, much larger grounds, cheaper eats to visit close by, etc.

Thanks Sam, the wife really wants a beach that is part of the property and based on what I have read the andaz is the only one that fits the bill.

hailstorm Oct 8, 2014 7:15 am

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 23644073)
Thanks Sam, the wife really wants a beach that is part of the property and based on what I have read the andaz is the only one that fits the bill.

Technically, none of the beaches are "part of the property", as all the beaches are public access by Hawaii law.

But yes, adjacent to the property.

canyonleo Oct 8, 2014 9:00 am

Originally Posted by sam_goh (Post 23641917)

I would have to offer a counter opinion. Mokapu beach (right in front of hotel) and Ulua (adjacent to the south) are two of the most child-friendly beaches in Maui (noting Old Airport Beach in Kaanapali is probably the most child friendly). All have calm waters (as calm as any beach, daily conditions will vary of course), restrooms, soft sand, close to car (or room) access.

With regard to food, Kihei has many more low cost family and plate lunch options than Poipu/Koloa, IMO.

Last, while no one would claim that the Andaz property is all that kid friendly (room layout, activities, etc.), the Andaz pool does have a very kid-friendly shallow area that has a slope (not steps) which in profile replicates a beach and would be friendly for a toddler (accompanied by parent of course!).

cmjaffe Oct 9, 2014 10:36 am

Agtree... saw alot of families with babies and toddlers (surprised) at Andaz... the staff iwere attentive... though wonder about space situation in the actual room (layout and amenities... but we all have our opinions of this Andaz regarding form vs function. The pools and beach can be toddler friendly. It's what you want from the actual island I guess.
For older kids I think Kauai might be a better choice.
JMHO

BOSOGG Oct 9, 2014 11:17 am

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 23644073)

Beach in front of Andaz Maui is nicer than beach in front of Grand Hyatt Kauai.
Beaches along Wailea, Maui coast are nicer than beaches along Poipu, Kauai coast. For best beaches on Kauai you would want to be heading up towards the North Shore.

ThreeA4Me Oct 10, 2014 1:50 am

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Just checked in by Megan, a terrific employee, but she was only able to upgrade me from garden queen to view queen, even when I offered to pay up charge or use points. Love the property though and lots of great cheap eats within 10 min drive. Also like breakfast is served til 11

ZBigFam Oct 10, 2014 4:50 am

Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me (Post 23654879)
Just checked in by Megan, a terrific employee, but she was only able to upgrade me from garden queen to view queen, even when I offered to pay up charge or use points. Love the property though and lots of great cheap eats within 10 min drive. Also like breakfast is served til 11

Any update on diamond benefits? I have heard that they were downgraded quite a bit?

dgross Oct 10, 2014 10:53 am

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 23655274)
Any update on diamond benefits? I have heard that they were downgraded quite a bit?

I have been here for the past 5 days. As you know, the breakfast has been downgraded to the "pantry breakfast" which consists of bread products (bread, muffins, etc), some cold meats, smoked Ono and smoked Salmon, cheeses and cheese spreads, yogurt/cereal and a frittata. You can select one hot item from the side menu, i.e.) two eggs or bacon or potatoes.

The Spa benefit has also changed. You receive a certificate for 10% off spa services or products. No more free access to spa pool, sauna, etc.

I was able to use a DSU and was supposed to have received a partial ocean view suite. I was told I was upgraded to a "better suite" which was on the first floor with the private pool. Since it is on the first floor, there isn't an ocean view. I don't know if the suite with the private pool is better than the ocean view, but my girlfriend loves the private pool off the patio, so we kept the room.

All in all, the service is excellent, the staff are friendly and accommodating. The Diamond benefits are not what they once were, but for me, the changes are minor and don't affect me much.