FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

Goodmorning2U Oct 10, 2014 11:57 am

How is the spa here? Does anyone have pictures to share? There is a paucity available on the Andaz site.

I'm hosting a Flyertalk Do Dec. 11th at the FS Maui, rate $395, but am considering this property for a March trip.

exmike Oct 10, 2014 6:06 pm

If you're talking about the saunas and hot tub its actually rather small, but functional. Personally did not get any massages, etc.

hailstorm Oct 10, 2014 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by dgross (Post 23656940)
I was able to use a DSU and was supposed to have received a partial ocean view suite. I was told I was upgraded to a "better suite" which was on the first floor with the private pool. Since it is on the first floor, there isn't an ocean view. I don't know if the suite with the private pool is better than the ocean view, but my girlfriend loves the private pool off the patio, so we kept the room.

You get more room on the deck and access to a "shared private" pool, so I would call it a better room. Some people prefer the privacy and ocean views of a higher suite...but having experienced both, I preferred the pool side suite.

hailstorm Oct 10, 2014 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U (Post 23657352)
How is the spa here? Does anyone have pictures to share? There is a paucity available on the Andaz site.

There's a few seconds of footage in this official video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMK_JcWFKQs

ThreeA4Me Oct 10, 2014 8:55 pm

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

The breakfast is fine / just not great - a $17 up charge per person is steep.

Had the renown grilled cheese and lobster sandwich (and excellent waffle fries) with a beer - $38 is pricey (tip included) but you are poolside and it's quite tasty

ThreeA4Me Oct 13, 2014 4:53 pm

One other note for Diamonds: apparently your upgrade is dependent upon the kind of rate you booked. I was under a corporate rate and thus told "I can't upgrade you cause others paid a higher rate."

coffee18 Oct 13, 2014 7:46 pm

No more Points + Cash?

Not sure if this was reported, but I tried to email the Andaz Maui regarding a lack of Points + Cash availability next June, and this was their response:

"Thank you for contacting the Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort.

Unfortunately, as of October 8, 2014 we are no longer offering new Points + Cash reservations.

Moving forward we are only accepting points reservation and promotional nights.

We apologize for the inconvenience. For any further assistance, please feel free to let us know."

Needless to say, this is most disappointing.

hailstorm Oct 13, 2014 8:34 pm

The T&S doesn't make it clear that individual hotels can opt out...but it doesn't make it clear that they can't either:

9. Points + Cash awards are subject to availability and reservations using these awards must be made in advance by calling a Hyatt Worldwide Reservation Center. Member must pay the Points + Cash rate and redeem required point value to redeem award. Award is subject to maximum room capacity and based on standard guestroom accommodations, unless otherwise noted. Maximum room capacity may vary by hotel. Limited number of rooms may be allocated for these awards, and availability may vary by hotel. Points + Cash awards are not valid at Hyatt Zilara, Hyatt Ziva or M life resorts. Promotional blackout periods may apply due to seasonal periods or special events.
Just three months ago, a three night stay in a suite with full breakfast could be had for $375+DSU. Now it would likely be over $1500...

exmike Oct 14, 2014 12:09 am

Originally Posted by coffee18 (Post 23672505)
Not sure if this was reported, but I tried to email the Andaz Maui regarding a lack of Points + Cash availability next June, and this was their response:

"Thank you for contacting the Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort.

Unfortunately, as of October 8, 2014 we are no longer offering new Points + Cash reservations.

Moving forward we are only accepting points reservation and promotional nights.

We apologize for the inconvenience. For any further assistance, please feel free to let us know."

Needless to say, this is most disappointing.

Thats too bad. I guess what they're really nixing is cash+point + DSU though, in terms of value.

RTW1 Oct 14, 2014 5:48 am

And another downgrade for Diamonds... If you want to use your DSU you will now have to make a fully paid rate.

P+C was never guaranteed but this seems a first step that properties that are in demand won't offer it anymore. I wonder what will happen with the MER for 2015.

coffee18 Oct 14, 2014 6:33 am

Originally Posted by RTW1 (Post 23674084)
And another downgrade for Diamonds... If you want to use your DSU you will now have to make a fully paid rate.

P+C was never guaranteed but this seems a first step that properties that are in demand won't offer it anymore. I wonder what will happen with the MER for 2015.

If ridding themselves of P+C+DSU was the goal, couldn't they simply create a policy disallowing DSUs to be applied to P+Cs? I get that P+Cs aren't guaranteed, but this action seems to be punishing everybody for the bookings of what I have to assume to be a small minority.

DaveH Oct 14, 2014 7:28 am

Originally Posted by RTW1 (Post 23674084)

What's "MER for 2015" please? TIA.

Shame about the loss of C+P.

coffee18 Oct 14, 2014 7:43 am

Originally Posted by DaveH (Post 23674499)
What's "MER for 2015" please? TIA.

Shame about the loss of C+P.

My Elite Rate.

windycityf Oct 14, 2014 7:48 am

No upgrades on Points and Cash

I was lucky enough to find points and cash for next week. And then I noticed Suite were available. I can not use a DSU on my rate, only on the full rate.

So use 25,000 points and $340 or $990 for a suite for 2 nights. I am have tempted because its a pleasure trip, but seriously how much time will I be spending in the room to justify, $650???

RTW1 Oct 14, 2014 9:16 am

Originally Posted by coffee18 (Post 23674269)
If ridding themselves of P+C+DSU was the goal, couldn't they simply create a policy disallowing DSUs to be applied to P+Cs? I get that P+Cs aren't guaranteed, but this action seems to be punishing everybody for the bookings of what I have to assume to be a small minority.

The P+C + DSU availability always had the potential to be more limited vs cash + DSU... and if what is mentioned here before is true, that a property doesn't get any reimbursement for a DSU, then I can see why a property wants as much cash for a booking as it can get.
But it's also a (major) downgrade for Diamonds wanting to stay in a suite here. And off course for all of those that want to use their points and still want the stay credit.

I really don't like the direction this is taking, but I wasn't planning to stay here anytime soon anyway... Just like at the PH NY I don't really like the limited benefits vs the high rates.

If more properties will follow and there is still no online view on P+C availability this is starting to look like a major waste of time for the call center as well. I already dislike having to call, but at least scoring a P+C rate once in a while gives me some satisfaction.....