FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

LIH Prem Sep 1, 2014 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by sm71 (Post 23458435)
In addition to the breakfast downgrade for diamonds, has this property changed the policy for Diamond late checkout? When I stayed here last September they asked if I wanted a late checkout when I checked in (similar to most Hyatt properties) Yesterday when I checked in, I requested a late checkout and the front desk stated that it's based on availability and I couldn't request it until the day of departure.

I asked for a 2pm checkout when I chedked in, they checked and provided it no problem.

In addition, web checkout offered to let me pick a time up to 4pm if I wanted to.

It is a resort and I believe the policy at resorts is based on availability.

-David

LIH Prem Sep 1, 2014 6:45 pm

A little light on the fruit, but there was plenty of it out there ...

I also had juice and coffee. As mentioned above, the egg dish I ordered was smoked ono and onions with scrambled eggs.

The bill came with "18% gratuity included" already filled in the tip line and I left a little extra in cash.

(PH Milan was even better .. there was no bill at all.)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-D...hoto%25201.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-W...hoto%25202.JPG

sm71 Sep 3, 2014 2:38 pm

I just spoke with the general manager about both the new breakfast policy and about people doing a status match with the intention to just use it at this property.

Based on my conversation, the reasoning for the diamond breakfast modification was due to costs associated with the full buffet. They figured if they were going to make a change, now is the time to do it as this property is just a year old. They explained that they did want the new policy to be fair and similar to the offerings that most other Hyatt properties offer.

He asked me if I came here for the first time if is be happy with the current diamond breakfast. Since I've been here once before and expected the full breakfast again on this stay, I'm somewhat biased and not completely sure of the answer. However I would most likely be turned off by only having the smaller buffet comped. I do think this property really was trying to be fair and have the diamond breakfast similar to other properties. However after thinking about it a little more, based on my experience, the limited buffet does come up a little short compared to the standard diamond breakfasts I've experienced at other properties. I'd be interested in getting the opinions of other diamonds that have not stayed here in the past and therefore don't have any expectations.

Regarding the "fake" diamonds, the general manager was unaware of this. He didn't know that Hyatt offers a status match where people get instant diamond status at the beginning of the challenge along with the DSU's. He did seem somewhat concerned that people could be using this as a way to get perks at this hotel.

Although I am disappointed that this property downgraded the diamond breakfast buffet, I really think the major issue is the fact that a lot of people may be abusing the diamond match challenge. I don't have anything against these people that are doing this as they are following the rules. If I were in their shoes, I may do the same thing. But, I think Hyatt gold Passport really needs to change their policies with status match challenges. They at least need to go back to the old ways of doing things where people don't get the DSU's until the end of the challenge. And they probably need to think about making people complete the challenge before getting diamond benefits, similar to what Starwood does.

hailstorm Sep 3, 2014 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by sm71 (Post 23469179)
Regarding the "fake" diamonds, the general manager was unaware of this. He didn't know that Hyatt offers a status match where people get instant diamond status at the beginning of the challenge along with the DSU's. He did seem somewhat concerned that people could be using this as a way to get perks at this hotel.

Although I am disappointed that this property downgraded the diamond breakfast buffet, I really think the major issue is the fact that a lot of people may be abusing the diamond match challenge. I don't have anything against these people that are doing this as they are following the rules. If I were in their shoes, I may do the same thing. But, I think Hyatt gold Passport really needs to change their policies with status match challenges. They at least need to go back to the old ways of doing things where people don't get the DSU's until the end of the challenge. And they probably need to think about making people complete the challenge before getting diamond benefits, similar to what Starwood does.

I really think that people are overstating the impact of supposed Cubic Zirconia members. There are two ways people get this status:

1. Those that already spend a lot of nights at another hotel chain. These are exactly the type of people that Hyatt wants to convert, and given the perks that are lavished upon them, I would imagine that they are doing a good job in that regard.

2. Those that leverage status gained at other chains by more obtuse means. I can't believe that there are a tremendous amount of people doing this. The internet magnifies their presence, but I have never met anybody in person that knew anything about status matches, and the few that are knowledgeable about credit cards are generally more interested in cash back or multipurpose point schemes like UR than in singular benefits like a single hotel chain.

Any issues that are experienced are of course concentrated on the aspirational properties such as Andaz Maui, but until you start seeing such issues at the Hyatt Regency Albuquerque, it's a very small part of the big picture in HGP's eyes.

mattolo Sep 3, 2014 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by sm71 (Post 23469179)
I'd be interested in getting the opinions of other diamonds that have not stayed here in the past and therefore don't have any expectations.

This is exactly the problem. All Diamonds who have not stayed here previously have high expectations of the full breakfast buffet that has been raved about in almost every review of this hotel.

And frankly, the manager sounds rather naive (clueless?) as to what other Andaz properties offer Diamonds for breakfast.

From my personal experience:

Andaz 5th Ave - fully comped breakfast (in room) for whatever we chose to order off the menu.

Andaz San Diego - fully comped breakfast on the beautiful rooftop for whatever we chose to order off the menu (we didn't even receive a check!)

I haven't stayed at other Andaz. So after expecting a breakfast that would top all of these, we will no doubt be disappointed in the "limited" free breakfast when we stay there in a few weeks.

JetAway Sep 3, 2014 3:52 pm

The Andaz Maui Manager should be comparing his property's Diamond Breakfast with that of other Andaz properties, not Hyatt properties in general.

spgplat21 Sep 3, 2014 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway (Post 23469576)
The Andaz Maui Manager should be comparing his property's Diamond Breakfast with that of other Andaz properties, not Hyatt properties in general.

I think his beliefs are misguided either way (excluding Hyatt Places, Hyatt House or Hyatts with club lounges of course).

This property is the only one that I can think of that offers a buffet and doesn't provide the full buffet to diamond members.

hailstorm Sep 3, 2014 5:04 pm

This sounds like a good parking option.

DjRashonal Sep 3, 2014 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 23469900)
This sounds like a good parking option.

that's a solid idea! As long as you're not toting kids around it's a beautiful walk over. If you were so bold, you could even have one of the Andaz cars drop you off at there!

thucanhho Sep 3, 2014 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by mattolo (Post 23469552)
Andaz 5th Ave - fully comped breakfast (in room) for whatever we chose to order off the menu.

Andaz 5th May not be the best example since there is a $75/day cap that many on this forum complain about. This is less that Andaz Maui for family of 4 with the current breakfast allowance.

Perhaps, Category 6 Hyatts?

jayer Sep 3, 2014 8:10 pm

Parking at the Marriott is Not Free

Perhaps they have gotten lazy about checking the tags. But they charge. Ask not for whom the tow truck comes.

sm71 Sep 3, 2014 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by spgplat21 (Post 23469650)
I think his beliefs are misguided either way (excluding Hyatt Places, Hyatt House or Hyatts with club lounges of course).

This property is the only one that I can think of that offers a buffet and doesn't provide the full buffet to diamond members.

I agree with this comment and all of the other ones. The more I think about it, the inferior buffet option sounds similar to what you would get in a regency/grand lounge. First of all, if this was a lounge, I'd get appetizers in the evening as we'll. I don't get appetizers and dessert included here. second, as somebody stated, it should be compared to other Andaz properties, not Hyatt in general.

mattolo Sep 4, 2014 4:19 pm

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....mbers-anymore/

Bloggers picking up the story about the reduced breakfast.

hailstorm Sep 4, 2014 4:26 pm

Rather than treating Diamonds as honored guests, the message here seems to be that they are freeloaders and are going to get less than the full breakfast offered by the hotel.
For those that still don't "get it", that's the best summation of this move that I've read.

texdoc Sep 4, 2014 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by jtalstad (Post 23441072)
We loved the food at the Andaz Maui.

A group of two men, two women and a young girl helped themselves one morning to the ENTIRE BOWL of raspberries, taking it back to their table. I asked Jenny if there were more and she sadly informed me, no, there were no more.

The next morning I told my wife I wanted to get down earlier to get a few raspberries. We saw the same group, I kid not, walking about ten pounds of bacon back to their table.

Were you there around the first week of July? I saw 2 men, 2 women and a young girl basically take huge plates of fruit each morning too. One day the cleaned out all the blackberries. I think maybe they were German tourists, but not exactly sure. The also had a couple of different special juice drinks made each morning (carrot juices, smoothies, etc) to the point that it took the juice guy 20 minutes to serve them and no real time for anybody else unless you wanted to sit there for an hour.