FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

hailstorm Sep 10, 2013 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Rusikusa (Post 21423594)
P. S. Yesterday ordered Piña Colada and bartender didn't know how to make it...

Ask for a Screaming Viking next time. Cucumber bruised slightly.

welch Sep 11, 2013 1:16 am

Ah.... techno. Wednesday, September 4, beginning about 6 PM-ish. The DJ's in the rain? I remember it a little too well.
As to the shallow sinks, please re-read. This was not the only issue with the bath.

That aside, I'm impressed to hear that the resort has so quickly responded to issues. This is very much in it's favor. Any property just opening will have kinks to work out and it appears Andaz is very receptive to feedback; that's fantastic.

salvag Sep 11, 2013 4:52 am

Originally Posted by Milezjunkie (Post 21423413)
It amazing how many people, especially those that haven't even been to the Andaz, are complaining so much. I was there the first 6 nights the resort was open and never heard loud techno music. Not even close.

All alcoholic mixed drinks are made with two ounce pours. That is heavy on alcohol so whoever said the drinks didn't give you any value for the money please explain what you mean. If you get a drink at Grand Wailea you are getting 1.5 ounce pours. I know this from experience and because the bartender I got to know at Andaz told me this and he came to Andaz from the Grand Wailea.

This resort had little corporate influence according to the employees I spoke with. They have casual uniforms and when I asked about them I was told the GM hand selected the uniforms which are dresses for the women in the lobby, shirts and Hawaiian shirts or Nike shirts, etc.

The lanai chairs are horrible. My only thought was the cushions just haven't arrived yet but maybe they meant them to be like that??

I said this upthread but the Ka'ana Kitchen for dinner is a waste of money. We spent $100 and literally went to the cafe to fill up after dinner. Regarding breakfast, someone is complaining that the buffet has canteloupe, watermelon, and honey dew because they're crappy and star fruit, papaya, pineapple and guava because they are cheap??? What else would you like? A plum? Name what better fruit there is. I don't see guava and papaya at many restaurants.

And yes, the rooms have 2-inch deep sinks. If that is a deal broker you should find another hotel. I can't understand why someone can't rinse a bathing suit in the tub or shower??? So many complaints it is comical.

I agree with everything you said. The amount of nitpicking in this thread is comical. Whaaaaaaa the music is too loud and the chairs hurt my butt. Whaaaaaa I can't rinse my bathing suit and the fruit..... DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THE FRUIT!! The hotel has been open for a week and this is what people are complaining about? I'd say that is a pretty good opening if this is the worst people have to say. You expect this place to be 100% perfect on day 1? I don't think any hotel could manage that. This is why I booked in November. Everything will be perfected by then. Honestly though, get real people.

JetAway Sep 11, 2013 6:33 am

Originally Posted by salvag (Post 21424720)
I agree with everything you said. The amount of nitpicking in this thread is comical. Whaaaaaaa the music is too loud and the chairs hurt my butt. Whaaaaaa I can't rinse my bathing suit and the fruit..... DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THE FRUIT!! The hotel has been open for a week and this is what people are complaining about? I'd say that is a pretty good opening if this is the worst people have to say. You expect this place to be 100% perfect on day 1? I don't think any hotel could manage that. This is why I booked in November. Everything will be perfected by then. Honestly though, get real people.

Given the rates, I think folks have a right to point out needed improvements.

tjbrooks Sep 11, 2013 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Milezjunkie (Post 21423413)
I said this upthread but the Ka'ana Kitchen for dinner is a waste of money. We spent $100 and literally went to the cafe to fill up after dinner. Regarding breakfast, someone is complaining that the buffet has canteloupe, watermelon, and honey dew because they're crappy and star fruit, papaya, pineapple and guava because they are cheap??? What else would you like? A plum? Name what better fruit there is. I don't see guava and papaya at many restaurants.

I was just questioning their claim of "farm-to-table" (as was another). In that case "better" means local, in season produce and meats. Doubtful that this is the case for the reasons I listed. Seems a case of style over substance, which your review seems to confirm. If you dont already, I recommend going to the farmer's markets around the islands. You're missing out on some amazing stuff.

peteropny Sep 11, 2013 7:32 am

Ok please do not bicker with others in the thread. Yes, some comments are rather nitpicky but can be useful. Properties monitor comments on Flyertalk and many do adjust their procedures (or not). But remember that each stay is a unique set of circumstances and expectations, so comments are a reflection of that. Also, this is a highly anticipated property that is fairly pricey so expectations were probably on the high side.

Think you.

Peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt

akp Sep 11, 2013 1:59 pm

About the perceived complaining...

I'm traveling to Maui in March and have held off booking until reviews on Andaz Maui came out.

The "complaints" reviled by some in this thread are critical information to me.

Techno music makes me insane, and if that is the vibe at Andaz Maui I want to book elsewhere. (My husband and I stayed at a Renaissance in Miami that had pounding techno from 10am until 10pm. No amount of white noise / fans / headphones we had at our disposal could block it.

Uncomfortable balcony furniture is also an important issue (which will likely not change, as the music could). I want to be able to relax and enjoy the view that I'm paying dearly for.

Thanks to all who have reported their experiences.

Anita

nnn Sep 11, 2013 2:49 pm

Can anyone who's been there elaborate on the availability of shade by the main pool (not the adult pool), particularly cabanas? Any charge for the cabanas?

ETA: I was told by phone there are three cabanas, first come first served, so curious whether, at least so far, they have been gone quickly or generally available.

hawkswin Sep 11, 2013 3:19 pm

Figured I should note that on checkout, none of the tips were applied for the Diamond breakfast so those who'd like to leave something for the staff should do it in cash. Not a big deal but with how helpful they are, I wish they would've been applied or I had known to leave cash.

Also in regards to the shallow sinks, I do think it's a design issue which I didn't like and even Tyler Brule pointed out in his weekend Financial Times column this past weekend they ought to be done away with. (article has paywall) At your service By Tyler Brûlé

ryandc99 Sep 11, 2013 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by hawkswin (Post 21428071)
Figured I should note that on checkout, none of the tips were applied for the Diamond breakfast so those who'd like to leave something for the staff should do it in cash. Not a big deal but with how helpful they are, I wish they would've been applied or I had known to leave cash.

Also in regards to the shallow sinks, I do think it's a design issue which I didn't like and even Tyler Brule pointed out in his weekend Financial Times column this past weekend they ought to be done away with. (article has paywall) At your service By Tyler Brûlé

Gratuity for Diamond Breakfast is included, if that was on your bill you should give them a call to have it removed.

Mommy Points Sep 11, 2013 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by nnn (Post 21427919)
Can anyone who's been there elaborate on the availability of shade by the main pool (not the adult pool), particularly cabanas? Any charge for the cabanas?

ETA: I was told by phone there are three cabanas, first come first served, so curious whether, at least so far, they have been gone quickly or generally available.

Didn't see a single person in the during our trip. Barely saw another person in the pool. Can't remember how many cabanas there were exactly, but there were several.

Ancien Maestro Sep 11, 2013 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by ryandc99 (Post 21428642)
Gratuity for Diamond Breakfast is included, if that was on your bill you should give them a call to have it removed.

Orange County HR took care of the gratuity for me.. HR Maui did not, and I paid the gratuity for the 5 morning breakfast buffets on invoice. Is the gratuity policy different which each hotel for Diamond?

thestallion123 Sep 11, 2013 9:06 pm

What are the cabana charges like at the pool?

ryandc99 Sep 11, 2013 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 21429577)
Orange County HR took care of the gratuity for me.. HR Maui did not, and I paid the gratuity for the 5 morning breakfast buffets on invoice. Is the gratuity policy different which each hotel for Diamond?

No. It is Hyatt GP policy and included in the terms and conditions page for diamond benefits that breakfast charges, including tax and gratuity are expressly included. If you were charged it was incorrect. You are due a refund.

After reading your post again, you don't pay gratuity on diamond breakfast. At HR Maui don't they have a lounge? Did you choose to eat breakfast at the restraunt?

peteropny Sep 12, 2013 7:54 am

Originally Posted by ryandc99 (Post 21429807)
No. It is Hyatt GP policy and included in the terms and conditions page for diamond benefits that breakfast charges, including tax and gratuity are expressly included. If you were charged it was incorrect. You are due a refund.

This policy seems to be inconsistently applied amongst properties - some say its included, others will take off the folio the amount you write in, others will charge you for the amount you write in. This statement is not an invitation to rehash this topic which has been discussed extensively in the past.