FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

FriendlySkies Oct 8, 2013 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by sam_goh (Post 21577504)
So wait, you can't use 2 free suite nights and then 33k for the last night?

To book a suite with points, you must book it for at least 3 nights..

peteropny Oct 9, 2013 6:20 am

Originally Posted by sam_goh (Post 21577504)
So wait, you can't use 2 free suite nights and then 33k for the last night?

Not according to my Private Line agent.

m0hamed Oct 9, 2013 7:46 am

Originally Posted by peteropny (Post 21578618)

+1. It's an annoying rule, but it can't be circumvented.

Ancien Maestro Oct 9, 2013 7:47 am

Didn't work for some in Europe as they were told 3 nights needed.

Doubtful, but doesn't hurt to ask I guess.

Pat89339 Oct 9, 2013 9:20 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 21579041)
+1. It's an annoying rule, but it can't be circumvented.

+1. I have had the same experience with a combined pay (2nights using suite upgrade) and the third night on points. This was in Europe.

Mommy Points Oct 9, 2013 9:21 am

$313 a night for this hotel isn't bad, so if you have the cash, that could be a good way to go. Or, maybe use one of your free nights and then do two nights in a suite using your Diamond cert. That would bring your out-of-pocket cost down a bit and maybe you'd get lucky and get all three nights in a suite, depending on availability.

funtrainsf Oct 9, 2013 9:26 am

I have option 1 already booked and confirmed in the Andaz Suite all 3 nights. It's just too tempting at just $313 to pay all three nights and use one certificate.

Man... decisions, decisions, decisions!!!

mreplus Oct 9, 2013 11:43 am

I noticed another promo that popped up -- "Sunshine On Sale"

Receive every 4th consecutive night free Free night is reflected at time of booking Tax NOT included. Resort Credit is applied to each night of stay 4 NIGHT MINIMUM LENGTH OF STAY REQUIRED VALID: 19SEP13-20DEC13 - 100 USD resort credit per paid room night- making a total of 300 USD

twothirds Oct 9, 2013 4:03 pm

Two nights with a toddler...

Checked in on Oct 2nd for a two-night award point stay with my wife and a toddler. The property is beautiful and I would consider returning with just my wife, but I would not go back with a kid again.

Some notes from the stay...

- Upgraded to a full ocean view room. Was very happy to not be looking at a parking lot
- Very friendly staff that tended to go out of their way
- Drinks are good. On the pricey side, but that is expected for that part of the island
- Onion Rings 2.0 were way overpriced and not that good. Avoid!
- Very empty. Almost eerily empty, but better than crowded.
- Villas around the pools and Morimotos are still under active construction with constant banging/sawing noises and broken views. I would have been annoyed, but chasing a toddler means no relaxation or zen moments for me.
- Standard rooms are too small for more than just a couple. Also, there is limited drawer and storage space. Would be fine for a couple on a short trip.
- My room did not have a bathtub which meant the kid got a silkwood style shower. As we were there for a limited amount of time, we did not bring this up with the front-desk. According to one of the managers, it is possible to get a room with a tub.
- Balcony furniture is a joke.
- There is no shade around the kid safe pool unless you want to pay $200 for a cabana
- Shower floor is slippery. Watch out!

Remainder of the trip was at a more family friendly hotel down the street.

Ancien Maestro Oct 11, 2013 7:22 am

Originally Posted by funtrainsf (Post 21579668)
I have option 1 already booked and confirmed in the Andaz Suite all 3 nights. It's just too tempting at just $313 to pay all three nights and use one certificate.

Man... decisions, decisions, decisions!!!

I would consider travel patterns before the February 28 deadline, and whether you need to use the suite upgrades before year end to qualify for status. Also, can you use the free suite nights elsewhere that's going to provide more value than Andaz?

If you got too many certs, than burn em I guess. No sense keeping them unless you have a use for them.

SKYEG Oct 12, 2013 9:04 pm

Want to stay here mid feb but standard rooms rates are $700.. Never been to Hawaii in my life. Is med feb peak season for Maui? Just cant justify $700 a night when I can go to PH Maldives or St Regis Bali for that price.

FD1971 Oct 13, 2013 3:03 am

Originally Posted by SKYEG (Post 21598377)
Want to stay here mid feb but standard rooms rates are $700.. Never been to Hawaii in my life. Is med feb peak season for Maui? Just cant justify $700 a night when I can go to PH Maldives or St Regis Bali for that price.

December & July/August are the strongest months on the islands. The time period between X-Mas and Easter is considered to be high season as well, but the demand is a bit lower.

If you are looking for low season, you can compare Hawaii with Florida, so aside from national holiday weekends, the time period between September up until shortly before X-Mas is known for low rates.

Wailea is def. more upscale than other parts of the island, but considering the reports so far and the appeal of the Andaz brand, rates between $ 300 in low season and $ 500 in high season seem to be fair.

m0hamed Oct 13, 2013 3:58 am

I think you'll find 2014 rates haven't been loaded yet. I looked at the GH HKG for February and could only find RACK, too.

Ancien Maestro Oct 13, 2013 8:53 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 21599359)
I think you'll find 2014 rates haven't been loaded yet. I looked at the GH HKG for February and could only find RACK, too.

I noticed over the years that HI hotels (we've been travelling to Haeaii annually for 10 years) start loading their rates around mid October. This is a very short planning period to make sure that the best rates can be booked. They leave the rates until mid November before everything starts rising again for the winter season.

Mary2e Oct 13, 2013 9:11 am

Mid-February is a very popular time of year because President's Day and Valentine's Days fall then. I know I try to attach a vacation to a holiday weekend to be able to get that extra day off :)

If you arrive on Monday at the end of the holiday weekend you'll find it less crowded and the rates a bit more affordable. Better yet, don't go that week at all.