FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

canyonleo Sep 5, 2013 9:49 am

Originally Posted by dw (Post 21393410)
I consider it acceptable (compared to neighboring hotels) SINCE this property does not have a resort fee, so it's sort of a wash. I recently came back from a stay at the Marriott next door, and they have a $30/day resort fee (which doesn't include internet for those who are not Gold/Plat!) which is inclusive of self parking.

The Hyatt in Maui has a $25/day resort fee + $14/day charge for self parking, so that's even more.

Would be a fair comparison except award stays typically have resort fees waived (like at the HR in Kaanapali). I can understand no free parking (HR just eliminated that I think) but a small self-parking area for guests would be nice.

mrredskin Sep 5, 2013 12:04 pm

$30 is ridiculous - especially considering maui is bare not even one mile inland. they're charging $30 because you have to have money to stay at places like this most of the time. $30 compared to $500 a night is nothing.

HHonors OUTSIDER Sep 5, 2013 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by mrredskin (Post 21394134)
$30 is ridiculous - especially considering maui is bare not even one mile inland. they're charging $30 because you have to have money to stay at places like this most of the time. $30 compared to $500 a night is nothing.

+1 Excellent post mrredskin

dw Sep 5, 2013 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by mrredskin (Post 21394134)

Exactly-- they are charging it b/c they can, just like any other property that has mandatory valet.

It's definitely along the lines of what other Wailea properties charge:

Marriott: Self-parking- free (part of resort fee); Valet: $30
Grand Wailea: Valet: $30
Fairmont Kea Lani: Self-parking- $15; Valet: $25
Four Seasons: Valet: $22

marlin Sep 5, 2013 1:50 pm

Milezjunkie,
Can you tell us about the beach there? Snorkeling? How nice are the pools?
Thank you.

m0hamed Sep 5, 2013 2:04 pm

They just uploaded a video of what I presume was the blessing ceremony? http://youtu.be/AVmSx6stLq8

FriendlySkies Sep 5, 2013 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 21394739)
They just uploaded a video of what I presume was the blessing ceremony? http://youtu.be/AVmSx6stLq8

Looks like a nice property.

HHonors OUTSIDER Sep 5, 2013 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 21394739)

Thank you m0hamed for the link.

canyonleo Sep 5, 2013 4:45 pm

For thus wondering about the beach and ocean at the location, I believe the location sits at Mokapu and Ulua beaches. There is a rocky point separating the beaches which offers some good beginner level diving (kind of a poor man's Black Rock of Kaanapali), and some on dive websites have reported seeing sharks there in the very early morning or dusk hours. scubaboard.com is a good website if one really wants to read up on the location.

sam_goh Sep 5, 2013 5:33 pm

Sharks and $30 a day parking... I'm cancelling my Christmas reservations pronto! j/k :)

nittanydave Sep 5, 2013 6:36 pm

kid friendly at Andaz?

wondering if the Andaz has enough for children ages 9 and 6 or if we should stay at the (less desireable otherwise) Hyatt in Kanapalli?

gmax58 Sep 5, 2013 7:36 pm

I got so excited about the car in the video (Tesla Model S) but I'm guessing it's not the shuttle service. Oh well. :)

Milezjunkie Sep 5, 2013 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by nittanydave (Post 21395853)
wondering if the Andaz has enough for children ages 9 and 6 or if we should stay at the (less desireable otherwise) Hyatt in Kanapalli?

They do have a kid's club and activities for them. The resort is pretty empty since it just opened and is low season in Sept. I haven't noticed the kid activities. It's nothing like the Grand Wailea with the water slide pools though. That is hard to top.

Ancien Maestro Sep 5, 2013 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by dw (Post 21393410)
I consider it acceptable (compared to neighboring hotels) SINCE this property does not have a resort fee, so it's sort of a wash. I recently came back from a stay at the Marriott next door, and they have a $30/day resort fee (which doesn't include internet for those who are not Gold/Plat!) which is inclusive of self parking.

The Hyatt in Maui has a $25/day resort fee + $14/day charge for self parking, so that's even more.

Just to add.. Fairmont Kea Lani has no resort fee. Self Parking fee this year, is the first year this has been implemented.

Assuming the above discussion, there is no resort fee for the Andaz.

Originally Posted by nittanydave (Post 21395853)

The water fall pools are quite high and bit of a concern to us when walking the property. We have no problems lounging on higher tiers, and the long row of steps is ok if navigated carefully. I would say the bottom lagoon pool is the safest. Having said that, I think Grand Wailea, HR Maui, Fairmont Kea Lani has nicer facilities for the kids right now. I'm not sure if Andaz will add a slide.

LASUA1K Sep 5, 2013 8:46 pm

Still no pictures? I'll be there first week of October, I'll make sure to take pictures.