Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
One of the things I raved about was the smoothies, and the fresh pour-over coffee. Eliminating these (offering regular, even concentrate juice, and stale beans) kills the special breakfast experience for this Diamond - and that was an amazing breakfast experience coming from someone who doesn't even like eating breakfast. I'll still use the property as my free Wailea/Makena choice (HGP points), but for me it's all about location - there's nothing at the property that makes it any better than any other Maui option (or even comparing it to HR Maui), and much of what's there is an issue to many (and me), like room size, bathroom layout/functionality, balcony functionality (with uncomfortable furniture)...

But, location location location for me.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:22 pm
Formerly known as iahsumr

Gotta echo disappointment about the breakfast change. As a Diamond who has stayed there and enjoyed the breakfast it would make it feel a tad less special next time around to have limited access.

Perks like this earned throughout the year make trips just feel more special and reward loyalty. Having to worry about nuances of included eggs vs not included fritters or having to tell your kids the juice bar isn't included aren't deal breakers, but they certainly bring the overall experience down just a tad.

I'm in the camp of wishing the 'extras' of sides/mimosas/whatever were eliminated before access to the full buffet was cut.

In the end we would probably just pay for the upcharge, at least some days. But again, I can buy a breakfast anywhere. I stick with Hyatt in part because of how much we enjoy the Diamond breakfast perks on trips. Oh, and the fritter things were really good!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: MR LTP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
Hello FlyerTalkers!

I just wanted to post some clarification on the Diamond Breakfast. Andaz Maui at Wailea offering for our Diamond members includes the following for breakfast: fresh breads and bakeries, smoked fish, sliced meats, fresh fruit & berries, yogurt panna cotta, oatmeal, a daily hot egg dish, and a variety of other daily offerings. In addition, our Diamond members will also include one side item from the a la carte menu (such as Bacon or chicken Sausage) and a choice of orange juice, apple juice, or Passion-Orange-Guava and freshly brewed coffee. We appreciate your feedback and please know that we work hard to take care of our most loyal guests by offering quality products and service throughout the property for your continued support of Hyatt Hotels and Resorts.

If you have any questions, as always, please feel free to reach out to us.

Safe travels,

Dana M.
I agree - very lame change in their terms. Usually the terms include "the breakfast buffet" at Hyatts. I haven't seen any of them offering 1/2 of the breakfast buffet.

I think this downgrade will have a negative effect. I had another week booked for March, but this leaves a bad taste in my mouth (is that a pun?), so I think I will look elsewhere. Maybe GH Kauai. Haven't been there yet.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:30 pm

I wonder if all the experiences, benefits, service and smiles everyone has raved about were simply an orchestrated opening act for this property designed to generate rave reviews. Now that the bookings are flowing it's time to take off the mask.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:02 pm

What's next...guests are only entitled to one cup of lavender lemonade per day. All refills will be subject to a $2 surcharge payable at checkout.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
Hello FlyerTalkers!

I just wanted to post some clarification on the Diamond Breakfast. Andaz Maui at Wailea offering for our Diamond members includes the following for breakfast: fresh breads and bakeries, smoked fish, sliced meats, fresh fruit & berries...
So Diamonds are allowed fruit, but not allowed access to the juicer.

Do you think they would have an issue with us bringing in our own private blenders to make juice?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:28 pm

Programs: GP Dia, HH Dia, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by texdoc
I agree - very lame change in their terms. Usually the terms include "the breakfast buffet" at Hyatts. I haven't seen any of them offering 1/2 of the breakfast buffet.

I think this downgrade will have a negative effect. I had another week booked for March, but this leaves a bad taste in my mouth (is that a pun?), so I think I will look elsewhere. Maybe GH Kauai. Haven't been there yet.
Just came back from GH Kauai two days ago and it was fantastic! We're heading to Maui Andaz on Friday and I was talking this buffet experience up...now it's not available. Anybody have thoughts on if they would comp it? It was seriously one biggest factors in us deciding to stay there.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I'm still waiting for my flip flops and water bottles.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:41 am

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I'm still waiting for my flip flops and water bottles.
Never got flip flops. However if the spa ones are actually better can't imagine anyone would want them.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:04 am

Programs: GP Dia, HH Dia, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold
well, we'll be there friday-monday so if anyone wants to grab crippled breakfast, lemme know!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:09 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Looks like Andaz Maui is following in the footsteps of the Hilton Waldorf-Astoria brand where the program allows them to exempt themselves from published benefits. Actions like this are a slippery slope. It was one of the many reasons I finally left Hilton after beng a Diamond for more than 10 years.

It does make me reconsider a future stay I have booked there.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:30 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hailstorm
So we should have refused such "ridiculousness" even when the staff themselves are the ones that recommended it to us?
Exactly..... and this is probably one of the locations that has seen a fair share of Diamond Challenge members for just one stay.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:53 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by RTW1
Exactly..... and this is probably one of the locations that has seen a fair share of Diamond Challenge members for just one stay.
The opening of this property has a huge boon to the credit card signup and Diamond-trial peddling bloggers (of course with Hyatt's implicit approval). All those trip reports about LH First and the Maldives are rather meaningless -because unattainable to the average person; Maui is in reach. I'm sure the Andaz has taken a lot of abuse -- a significant percentage of suites taken up by fake Diamonds, breakfast benefits maximized beyond belief -- but ultimately, they decided to cut their losses. Fwiw, there are hotels in all chains that take an unreasonable, above-average hit, because some policy of the reward program works agains them -- talk, for instance, to (former) IC Montelucia about weekend BOGO use by RAs commandeering the best suites and draining minibars. As for the Andaz, I hope they find ways to reconcile their need to contain costs with appropriate, rule-conforming policies; although I'm not a breakfast person, I don't appreciate the special elite breakfast shenanigans, and I hope they won't further descend toward limiting benefits, e.g., by further decreasing the suite pool. Ultimately, the path to relief lies with Hyatt; the creation of a small army of single-stay trial Diamonds fits well into their credit-card peddling ways, but ultimately hurts the brand and its loyal customers.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I have to agree with jpdx. I've pretty much stopped going to the more popular Hyatts due to the fake diamond situation. They massses have ruined it for long time loyal Diamonds and I'm just going to wait it out until these freebies stop.

As soon as I read of all the perks given by this hotel I knew 2 things - I wouldn't be going any time soon and it was going to all come to an end.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I have to agree with jpdx. I've pretty much stopped going to the more popular Hyatts due to the fake diamond situation. They massses have ruined it for long time loyal Diamonds and I'm just going to wait it out until these freebies stop.

As soon as I read of all the perks given by this hotel I knew 2 things - I wouldn't be going any time soon and it was going to all come to an end.
The idea behind these promotions is that some of the so-called "masses" end up being loyal Diamond members as many do. I'm sure these promos are coordinated by Hyatt with the hotels and stand by my earlier view that the many early perks at this hotel were calculated by the hotel and its PR reps to create an initial good impression. They were going to end regardless of the "fake diamond situation."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.