Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
This place continues to trend downward. This was the best part of the hotel sadly.

Poke is cold, can I still get that? I'm happy I enjoyed a plate of Poke every day I was there!!!
Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, Hilton Diamond
too good to last

We were there in February and enjoyed the breakfast benefit. Based on some comments posted on this board we asked the wait staff if we could order a fresh fish made any way the chef wanted. Chef Ben came out to speak with us and explained that the red snapper was the freshest and he would prepare it in a tomato cream sauce. Our daughter does not like fish and Chef Ben prepared her a beautiful ribeye steak with caramelized onions and mushrooms. This clearly was above and beyond the usual, but I think they wanted to create a buzz around the new hotel, which they did.
The benefits though were not sustainable. A more rational approach is limit the benefit to the whole buffet, no extra items
Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: MR LTP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by endodoc79
We were there in February and enjoyed the breakfast benefit. Based on some comments posted on this board we asked the wait staff if we could order a fresh fish made any way the chef wanted. Chef Ben came out to speak with us and explained that the red snapper was the freshest and he would prepare it in a tomato cream sauce. Our daughter does not like fish and Chef Ben prepared her a beautiful ribeye steak with caramelized onions and mushrooms. This clearly was above and beyond the usual, but I think they wanted to create a buzz around the new hotel, which they did.
The benefits though were not sustainable. A more rational approach is limit the benefit to the whole buffet, no extra items

You ordered fish and ribeye for breakfast? or dinner?

I enjoyed the buffet a lot. It sounds like it was somewhat abused by people asking for a lot of extra stuff. I asked for fresh french toast one morning because the ones on the buffet were soggy. He asked what kind I wanted. But there were literally people getting 6 different types of fresh squeezed juices and ordering all kinds of special dishes from the kitchen. I'm not sure if that is what killed the buffet benefit, but it would be sad if that were the case.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by texdoc

I enjoyed the buffet a lot. It sounds like it was somewhat abused by people asking for a lot of extra stuff. I asked for fresh french toast one morning because the ones on the buffet were soggy. He asked what kind I wanted. But there were literally people getting 6 different types of fresh squeezed juices and ordering all kinds of special dishes from the kitchen. I'm not sure if that is what killed the buffet benefit, but it would be sad if that were the case.
I was offered Poke on my first day. I accepted, but they didn't have any, they put a note into my room number and was given Poke everyday without asking.

To take away the Hot items and especiay the juices will not help this hotel in the long run. When the best thing is the juice and bacon, and you take it away, people will look elsewhere.

I agree the Poke and steak is overboard, but they should take that away and keep the full buffet.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by texdoc

Some of the stories are pretty crazy (lunches to go, ribeyes, etc.), and I'm sure the waitstaff was also pushing some of this for extra tips. But I can't really fault anyone if the chef is coming out and telling people to order all of these things.

I still don't think this is compliant with the terms of the program so I'm anxious to hear what Gold Passport Concierge has to say about the downgrade to the continental breakfast buffet.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond
If a reservation was made prior to the change of policy regarding breakfast for diamonds, they should comp the full breakfast buffet, hot entree and juice.... Just like PH Maldives did earlier this year.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Here now as diamond. Used dsu and got the suite. Went for ground level with semiprivate plunge pool. Actually love it since we set up drinks and snacks right outside our room and went back and forth between there and the adult pool. It's secluded enough that we weren't worried about interlopers.

The drinks in the fridge is now three bottles not six. The breakfast downgrade to continental is honestly a bit disappointing since much cheaper hyatts have much better spreads. It's only $17 more for full buffet so why be so cheap about it. They could just cut out the made to order stuff.

No more manager happy hour on Mondays too so no free alcohol possibilities for diamonds.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:44 am

This sounds like something that was done locally without coordinating with HGP or considering the general practice of providing full breakfasts to Diamonds. It reminds me of those General Managers who reclassify regular rooms as "Business Suites" by adding a fax or similar so that they can adhere to the loyalty program's upgrade requirements. By all means, Diamonds should express their concerns to HGP directly as, contrary to the Moderator's personal views, I don't think this meets the letter or the spirit of the program's T&Cs.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:18 pm
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Diamond Breakfast

Hello FlyerTalkers!

I just wanted to post some clarification on the Diamond Breakfast. Andaz Maui at Wailea offering for our Diamond members includes the following for breakfast: fresh breads and bakeries, smoked fish, sliced meats, fresh fruit & berries, yogurt panna cotta, oatmeal, a daily hot egg dish, and a variety of other daily offerings. In addition, our Diamond members will also include one side item from the a la carte menu (such as Bacon or chicken Sausage) and a choice of orange juice, apple juice, or Passion-Orange-Guava and freshly brewed coffee. We appreciate your feedback and please know that we work hard to take care of our most loyal guests by offering quality products and service throughout the property for your continued support of Hyatt Hotels and Resorts.

If you have any questions, as always, please feel free to reach out to us.

Safe travels,

Dana M.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
Hello FlyerTalkers!

I just wanted to post some clarification on the Diamond Breakfast. Andaz Maui at Wailea offering for our Diamond members includes the following for breakfast: fresh breads and bakeries, smoked fish, sliced meats, fresh fruit & berries, yogurt panna cotta, oatmeal, a daily hot egg dish, and a variety of other daily offerings. In addition, our Diamond members will also include one side item from the a la carte menu (such as Bacon or chicken Sausage) and a choice of orange juice, apple juice, or Passion-Orange-Guava and freshly brewed coffee. We appreciate your feedback and please know that we work hard to take care of our most loyal guests by offering quality products and service throughout the property for your continued support of Hyatt Hotels and Resorts.

Safe travels,

Dana M.
Thank you for your response. Your participation on this board is always appreciated. Unfortunately, you have confirmed that the hotel has created a separate, lesser breakfast experience than that offered guests paying for it with cash. I doubt that this will sit well with many of Hyatt's "most loyal guests."
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:25 pm

Hello FlyerTalkers!

Safe travels,

Dana M.
Still sounds rather disappointing. Will we at least be able to get multiple servings of the one side item and juice offerings?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Hello FlyerTalkers!

Safe travels,

Dana M.
Funny. Yesterday no side or juice. Today side and juice offered. They got that memo at least. Think full breakfast without a la carte would be more equivalent to other hyatts though.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by exmike
Funny. Yesterday no side or juice. Today side and juice offered. They got that memo at least. Think full breakfast without a la carte would be more equivalent to other hyatts though.
It is more than obvious that the breakfast for Diamonds was abused. There were more than a few reports of such outrageous gluttony and greed in this thread. Imagine how many people did not report about it in this thread. I know people would say - but it was allowed! Well, sure. Does that mean you should do it? Of course not. Once again, the ridiculousness of the few ruined it for the many.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
It is more than obvious that the breakfast for Diamonds was abused. There were more than a few reports of such outrageous gluttony and greed in this thread. Imagine how many people did not report about it in this thread. I know people would say - but it was allowed! Well, sure. Does that mean you should do it? Of course not. Once again, the ridiculousness of the few ruined it for the many.
So we should have refused such "ridiculousness" even when the staff themselves are the ones that recommended it to us?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
Why not cut out the special orders and leave it at that? It's the creation of a lesser Diamond Breakfast that rankles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.